DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Frame rate and video quality workflow when flying?

hanger18

Reactions
It’s gotta my number one Hangup with the Mavic for me.

I’m so lost as to how and what settings to shoot with. Seems like 30 FPS is what a lot of you guys use. But what happens when you wanna slow in the same shoot. Do you switch frame rates and quality mid air?

Just like there is no best phone or best camera or best whatever the same applies here. Much of what makes something the best to one person is subjective. Other times it is entirely based on what they want to accomplish. So if I am flying for the fun of it and want to record it I use a general setting (2.7k/30) otherwise I have a specific plan and set things accordingly.

I have played with most of the mechanical options with my Mavic Pro and Go4, I have a solid understanding of photography, but i am unhappy with the quality of the everyday video that I shoot.
I have issue with contrast,color, and exposure, and the time that it takes for the camera to adjust from open sky to heavy green tree line to a house, etc. I have played with white balance, auto/manual exposure and such. Is it possible that I have an issue with the camera? When I look at posts on FB, I can only assume that there is a lot of post work for every shot. Is this the case? I have iMovie, and I am considering Lightroom, I know I am not inclined to learn Photoshop and other high end post programs. Will attempt to attach a short example. Thanks in advance for help.

Reactions: hanger18
Im not sure about the exposure change in that video, sure seemed slow to get it right.

As for Lightroom if you are going to shoot a lot just get it and learn it. It is a great DAM and has a lot of built in editing features. I have used it since V1 and love it.

As for video editing iMovie is not much of an editor maybe try your hand with Resolve. There is a free version to play with. If you keep working with video and really like it you will end up with Final Cut.

Thanks for the info. So am I right that everyone that posts these really nice pix and videos post correct heavily?

Thanks for the info. So am I right that everyone that posts these really nice pix and videos post correct heavily?
Not necessarily im sure some are heavily edited but not all. Lightroom is great for editing photos and if you use the RAW output on the mavic you can manipulate the photos alot more.

Imovie works okay for video but its a very basic and barebones program. Im gonna attempt to run Resolve on my Macbook as Imovie is lacking in a few things.

I'm sure I will do a few pix and I do have a bit out outdated experience with photoshop. So Lightroom will be ok.
It just bothers me, that I cant just set on auto and get some descent video at 4K or 2.7 or even lower. The video seems contrasty and and just off in general color wise. I understand frame rate for certain effects and I am going to get a set off good ND filters. Have any recommendations for a filter set? I am old school SLR high end 35MM and 2-1/4 film camera savy. I dont mind paying for good quality filters.

I have tried different cards, different times of day, all of the frame rates and size options. I really think there is an exposure issue.
\

No camera is going to give you really good video on auto, neither still no video. The mavic is no different.
Also remember at 4k it uses 60mbps bit rate which is relatively awful in terms of compression and detail preservation.
Operating the mavic is no different to any other photo or video shoot, no what you want ahead of time, put the right settings in, get the sequence and repeat. "Full auto" is never going to cut it.

Reactions: Keith G
No camera is going to give you really good video on auto, neither still no video. The mavic is no different.
Also remember at 4k it uses 60mbps bit rate which is relatively awful in terms of compression and detail preservation.
Operating the mavic is no different to any other photo or video shoot, no what you want ahead of time, put the right settings in, get the sequence and repeat. "Full auto" is never going to cut it.
I am not using auto... The 2 videos I posted were not shot on auto ..Sunny, 4K, color normal..

It’s gotta my number one Hangup with the Mavic for me.

I’m so lost as to how and what settings to shoot with. Seems like 30 FPS is what a lot of you guys use. But what happens when you wanna slow in the same shoot. Do you switch frame rates and quality mid air?
One thing to note here is - if you're going to be mixing clips shot at different frame rates, don't shoot anything at 24fps. 30fps converts nicely to 24fps, with an even number of dropped frames. 60fps does not convert evenly to 24fps. 60fps can produce stuttering frames, especially when mixed on a timeline with 24fps. Shoot at 30fps and 60fps, and render the final video at 30fps (technically 29.97fps).

I am not using auto... The 2 videos I posted were not shot on auto ..Sunny, 4K, color normal..

Struggling to see any issue, standard contrast boost etc in post and its fine. Obviously D-Log is your best bet for shooting quality and that is certainly going to require post processing.

You will definitely need SD filters for quality video. I like PolorPro but there are many others and several threads to read about filters. Polarizing filters give you more contrast and can enrich the colors but you have to play with them to get the correct angle for the greatest effect.

So the examples that I posted are considered acceptable quality? I will switch to D-log and try that. Guess I didnt expect to have to post process all videos.

So the examples that I posted are considered acceptable quality? I will switch to D-log and try that. Guess I didnt expect to have to post process all videos.
I like the colors I get using the D-Cinelike setting but I am not producing videos to impress an audience.

Nor am I. I just expected better quality from the camera

You bought a drone with a circa 2015 quality cell phone style camera. If you wanted a good camera you need a P4 Pro or Inspire.

But even on those videos need post processing. Every video taken on every device is likely to require post processing

One thing to note here is - if you're going to be mixing clips shot at different frame rates, don't shoot anything at 24fps. 30fps converts nicely to 24fps, with an even number of dropped frames. 60fps does not convert evenly to 24fps. 60fps can produce stuttering frames, especially when mixed on a timeline with 24fps. Shoot at 30fps and 60fps, and render the final video at 30fps (technically 29.97fps).

Now that you mention that....

I just recently got Final Cut Pro X so I now have the option to export at different frame rates. I recently did a little filming at the 1080 60 FPS of a skateboarder because I thought that was the preferred frame rate if you want to throw in some slo mo in the mix. Im still unsure if I should export at 60 FPS or bring it down to 30 FPS. If I go to 30 FPS would I be better off choosing 29.97? I thought I read that the mavic pro technically records at 29.97?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98