DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Freewell VND Filters

waynesi

Reactions
Hi all interested in this accessory,

Sorry for starting yet another post on this, but I hope my post gets enough attention and prevents you from repeating my mistake.

I started with the Freewell Limited Edition 4K Series 6Pack filter set. I had no previous experience with any filters so I'm quite happy with the set. Then I noticed the uneven shades on the photos when shooting panorama with the ND/P filters, and I understood it's totally reasonable and unsurprising at all with a polarizer filter.

Then I saw the Freewell VND, and I thought it's *normal* ND, e.g. not a polarizer filter, and thus may fix all my pains. But I still got the vignetting on the sky as shown on the attached photo.

After asking the Freewell customer service, I got this reply ....

It is common science of filters you never take a pano shot with 2 filters crossing here is a very good blog by someone explaining WHY. Why Not to Use a Polarizer Filter When Shooting Panoramas

Thinking about it, I realised I technically have nothing to complain. Without polarization, how could they do the VND? Right?

So this VND is not *normal* ND. I can't say for any other brands though.

If you buy this one, you should have all the caveats in mind.

Attachments

• DJI_0320-resize.jpg
    DJI_0320-resize.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 64
Last edited:
When I was writing my opening post, I got this follow-up reply from Freewell as I challenged their initial one. They asked me to post here, so I did to provide a unbiased view ...

Hey Wayne,

Thanks for your message.

Correction they are not NORMAL ND, When you say normal ND it means STRAIGHT ND which has single pc of glass.

Absolutely all the VND are made of 2 PL filters, not just ours but every single VND in the market are made the same way it must require 2 pieces of glass be it for drone or DSLR or mirrorless or anything.

No, VND is not polarizer filter you cannot get polarizer effect when you add 2 pieces of them when you add 2 pieces of glass they act as stopping the light, Hope you got me here.

So either you use ND/PL, PL/PL, CPL, CPL/CPL such filters cannot be used for Pano.

VND is for run & gun situation where you do not need to switch filter when shooting videos, So they do have advantages as well as disadvantage otherwise why will anyone spend USD 160 vs USD 50?

Also, I suppose you have posted here [the other MavicPilot post] those images please feel free to post that blog link so other users also get educated as this isn't a filter problem.

Why Not to Use a Polarizer Filter When Shooting Panoramas

Thanks

I was going to post a panoramas taken while using the variable ND filters but it says file to large.
How do I overcome this ?

Thanks waynesi don't know maximum file size so I drastically reduced it.
Taken while using the Freewell variable ND filters, no post processing.

You can also post to a Google Drive, Vimeo, Instagram, etc. and post the link using the drop down menu ‘…’ and selecting media using the URL to the site you posted it to.

Reactions: dirkclod
Thanks waynesi don't know maximum file size so I drastically reduced it.
Taken while using the Freewell variable ND filters, no post processing.
it depends upon the angle how drastic the PL effect will be on the panorama, realistically for any photo work it would be better to take the VND filter off completely.
plus, as it was stated in the other thread, dual PL filter will always distort colors and saturation. a normal grey ND filter is the best way to go.

Yes. The real pain is the hassle and challenge of swapping the filters due to chances of breaking the lens and gimbal and of introducing dusts. Thought the VND can ease the pain but not. One filter for video whilst another for photo renders this kind of useless to my situation, although I appreciate it may be entirely fine to others.

Why you need filters for taking photos? Unless you are trying daylight long exposure....

Why you need filters for taking photos? Unless you are trying daylight long exposure....

Maybe because I shoot videos with the filter on and don't want to remove it before taking photos due to the issues I listed above? :)

There are several reasons one might use a ND filter for a still photo:

1) Daylight long exposures, such as waterfalls or moving water (as you mentioned)
2) Low light long exposures, such as traffic
3) If you started your flight shooting video, and want to get some photos without having to land to swap/remove filters
4) If the maximum shutter speed (or the shutter speed you wish to use) is exceeded under your desired settings

That's not a complete list, but just some of the reasons. 1 and 3 are probably the most common. Most of the photos I take are through a ND filter because I usually do photo and video in the same flight, and I almost always need a ND for video.

Reactions: PAW and THE CYBORG
That what ive wrote...unless you are trying daylight long exposure :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998