DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Frequent Compass Calibration?

nicshow

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I’m visiting in Chicago and I’ve had to frequently calibrate the compass in order to fly - maybe 6 times at least over three days. And half of those times the calibration attempt failed repeatedly. I updated software and thought that helped but about the third time powering on after the update was asked to recalibrate again. I don’t think I’ve ever experienced this at my home. Do I have a technical problem to be addressed or is it just an issue with lots of city interference?

When you're seeing a prompt to calibrate the compass, it's most often a sign that nearby interference is negatively affecting the compass. See more details here:

Reactions: AMann
What are you taking off from? Sidewalks and other concrete surfaces often have compass interfering steel wire mesh in them. Buildings have massive steel girders, and hoods and roofs of cars are also bad places to take off from.

Here’s a fun IOS app with a library of physics related tools to map magnetic interference around you (Check out the Magna-AR tool), and also check your GPS signal reception, among other things:

Last edited:
Reactions: Cafguy
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svjnilse