DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Frustrated

historyman

Reactions
I'm on the Norfolk/Suffolk border and was able to do a good bit of flying last Wednesday (10 days ago) when it was an early Summer's day with 20 degree C temperatures and light winds. Like most people I don't have all day, every day free even in these Covid times. Since last Wednesday, every time that I have time available to fly, the wind had been close to or exceeding that permissible for my Mini 2. Grrrr! The weekend forecast isn't much better either. Ah well, they say patience is a virtue, but it is also hard going.

Reactions: PJordan
Hello Historyan:

I share your frustration with inconvenient winds although not so much due to their impacts on flying my drones, but because they are always headwinds when I’m on one of my bicycles! Springtime here in New Mexico, USA is windy.

I have often flown my Mini 2 and Mavic Air 2 (MA2) in conditions windier than recommended. The first couple of times were with the MA2 and due completely to ignorance on my part. Luckily I managed to get the drone back without a crash, but it wasn’t due to any skill. Those incidents perked my curiosity about winds and flying and led to more recent windy flights on purpose. In my case I’ll keep windy flights to open areas and fly lower and closer to the home point (HP). I fly into the wind and maintain good vision of the drone. I like watching how the drone handles the winds to maintain position, etc. If anything gets wild, I’ll immediately lower the drone even more and head home downwind watching the craft’s behavior. Some of these windy flights might not get more than 200 meters upwind and really just be opportunities to practice flying maneuvers and control. Not great opportunities for video or photography but I still find them fun.

Just make sure you duck if the drone comes home fast and low!

Howard

Last edited:
Reactions: historyman
If I remember correctly the specs suggest a maximum of 8 to 10 M/S wind or about 17/19 kts

I try to avoid flying it over 15kts but mostly because I fly from a boat and that creates turbulence. Plus as the boat swing on anchor it can move quite a bit when it is time to land..

That said even when flying in about 10/12kts of wind, I often gets a warning about high wind and that the drone will not be able to RTH. Happens even when it is close by and the battery is still almost fully charged. The error seems to come more frequently when in sports mode.

no big deal just annoying.

If there's one thing you can be certain about in the UK apart from the damned rain its the damned wind! To make matters worse August is always a windy month (I know this from my sailing days), conveniently right in the peak of our summer, grrrrr.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suilven