DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FT Aviator?

MikeFreeland

Reactions
Has anyone had any hands-on (or even first-hand observational) experience with the FT Aviator controller? It's projected to start shipping shortly, and the MSRP is discounted, I suspect only in the pre-order period. It looks really intriguing, and claims to be compatible with the entire Mavic line (I'm an Air-head). I'm thinking of ordering one, but I hate dropping the money blindly.

Thanks!

Reactions: Jim Flannery K0UNX
Hi,

I have seen those ads and took a further look at their website. Honestly I don't see how that delivers on their promise of making flying easier or less cumbersome. They even advertise it as one-handed flying, which you can see is not the case. You need one hand on the base of the controller and one on the stick.

What makes it seem more cumbersome and bulky to me than just using my DJI remote is that it does not replace the remote. It works with a USB connection to your existing remote. So now I would need to carry my DJI remote, this remote, and the associated cabling. How does that make my job any easier? I could be wrong and there may be a good usage case for it, but I just don't see it. If you look carefully at their videos, they do their absolute best to hide the fact that you need to carry all this gear around with you. Seems disingenuous at best.

Seems like a solution looking for a problem where honestly there is no problem flying with a two-stick remote. Just my 2 cents. In summary...don't do it!

Wow! Thanks! I saw that there were a couple of TY videos about this thing but didn't look at them, only at the FT website. I did notice the two-handed joystick-like operation which made me a little suspicious. I had no idea that it was a controller-controller. That is indeed a deal breaker. Sounds awkward as, um, heck.

Reactions: PhantomFandom
I have one on order. Should be out in the June time frame. As far as it being two-handed, you could mount the controller on a tripod, and it would be one-handed. The control will be exactly like flying a chopper using a collective. Much easier than two joysticks. One caveat, though: they tell me that it won't work with the SMART CONTROLLER. They didn't explain why. Still looking forward to getting mine. The price is right, so it's certainly worth a try! Right now, I'm planning on using the Smart Controller with my M2P and the FT Aviator with my MP.

Reactions: Dannyg64506
I have one on order. Should be out in the June time frame. As far as it being two-handed, you could mount the controller on a tripod, and it would be one-handed. The control will be exactly like flying a chopper using a collective. Much easier than two joysticks. One caveat, though: they tell me that it won't work with the SMART CONTROLLER. They didn't explain why. Still looking forward to getting mine. The price is right, so it's certainly worth a try! Right now, I'm planning on using the Smart Controller with my M2P and the FT Aviator with my MP.

I'm still not seeing the application or utility of the FT. Two sticks are not at all complicated. Sure it does take a little training at the beginning but then it becomes second nature.

How is mounting the FT on a tripod any easier than using the regular remote? It now ties you down even more. Oh and there's still the awkward wired connection between the FT and your standard remote. Not to mention the extra space required to carry both remotes, needing to charge yet another piece of gear before flying, and not being compatible with the Smart Remote.

Looking forward, I can also see issues when new firmware is released. What if it breaks something due to an update in the API? Then you need to either go back to older firmware or wait for FT to issue an update. Sorry but no thank you.

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
This new optional controller is designed to hopefully pull in more people that are interested in our hobby but are more comfortable fly with a stick vs our current setup. I as well as several other on this site have purchased the new controller. It’s not out yet, but it will be soon, they used crowdfunding to help them fund their project. This is a very new item being introduced into our hobby and just like anything else new they will have to work all the bugs out. They may or may not hit their ship date but that’s typically for almost all startup companies bringing out a new product. I can’t wait to get mine, I think it’s going to be incredible to fly with just 1 hand (and the other to hold the base). It still has to use the DJI controller to communicate with the drone but they have a lanyard to handle that tiny issue. This is just their first run at a product like this for our drone flying hobby. It has so much potential for growth with other drones and making tricky maneuvers, this is such a great time to be part of this hobby. Like I said earlier, I purchased mine very early on, also picked up the optional hard case. When I saw that one of Americans finest was involved with the product (US Astronaut) I immediately jumped in. I have invested in 98 Kickstarter projects so far and only a very few have suffered failure. When an American Astronaut gets involved in doing something (anything) failure is not even a possibility. If you don’t want to jump in now and get one at a discounted price, that’s cool. If you can, try to at least follow the product and see if it’s something you think you may want to try out. Ya never know, crazier things have happened and you may just end up love flying with it. I don’t work for this company, I’m not affiliated in anyway with them, I’m just really excited about the product.

I too preordered. The 2 hand operation is one hand controls the drone and the other hand operates the camera. The initial launch is not compatible with the Crystal Sky or the new smart controller. Future firmware updates will eventually make those compatible. The holder/mount that ships will only accommodate a smart phone. Tablet holders will be offered once again somewhere in the future. The Aviator should enable more fluid tactile movement of the drone. Obviously, this will not be for everyone but what is?

Reactions: Smalls
A little nervously I to have ordered myself an FTA, against my initial feelings of not being able to see a real advantage over the current default two stick operation. Also, since I use a Crystalsky monitor I just couldn't see how everything would seamlessly connect. The lack of "independent" video reviews added to my initial scepticism, as did the "one-handed" operation. I did like the idea of the FTA being compatible across a number of DJI platforms though - I fly Inspire and Mavic types.
However, after watching the few vids' that have been posted on YT many times over I have to say the claim of one-handed flying is not in my view a dubious claim. Nor can I see the assumption of the RC trying to be hidden as a valid argument. In one of the vids' it is quite clearly stated that "In the Box" stuff includes a lanyard and strap to which the RC can be attached, as is the instruction for the FTA mounted monitor to be plugged into the RC - which can also be clearly seen in one of the scenes. As for the one-handed operation, of course two hands are going to be used during the totality of a flight, performing various different functions, but it would appear only one hand needs to be deployed to manage the flight control systems, all within finger reach, or attached to the stick itself. Current RC layouts require two handed operation of flight control systems as well as being able to manage the videography functions - something I for one can find a little challenging when I am trying to maintain stable flight and take photos/videos while in ATTI mode.
I do see a similarity more between larger, current generation fixed wing aircraft - civil and military - where use of such a stick seems to be pretty universal. Helicopters that I am familiar with still seem to require pretty much two-handed control; I might be roundly corrected on that point though.
The FTA won't be for everyone, and that's fine. But I do think any criticism, plaudits etc. of how well the FTA performs should be reserved until after there has been a good few hours of use in a variety of real-time conditions.
If it proves to not live up to expectations, then DJI flyers will I dare say be the first to start speaking loudly, through their collective wallets.

Last edited:
A little nervously I to have ordered myself an FTA, against my initial feelings of not being able to see a real advantage over the current default two stick operation. Also, since I use a Crystalsky monitor I just couldn't see how everything would seamlessly connect.

From what I've read, it will not work with the Crystalsky since it does not have Bluetooth support. No way for it to connect to the FTA. You'll have to use a regular phone or tablet.

However, after watching the few vids' that have been posted on YT many times over I have to say the claim of one-handed flying is not in my view a dubious claim. Nor can I see the assumption of the RC trying to be hidden as a valid argument.
One-handed flying with this device is at best misleading. Tell me this. If you tie one hand behind your back, can you use this device to fly your drone? The answer is a resounding and overwhelming NO. Thus it cannot possibly be one-handed flying.
I was not referencing YouTube videos but the actual Fluidity website. The videos of people using the device are shot so that the remote controller is either minimized from view or completely missing. Also look at the videos from CES where they have people testing the device. They rigged it so it is ONLY the device. No remote control. No wires. Not even a phone attached to it.
As for the one-handed operation, of course two hands are going to be used during the totality of a flight, performing various different functions, but it would appear only one hand needs to be deployed to manage the flight control systems, all within finger reach, or attached to the stick itself.
Yes and no. It is quite evident that the camera tilt and other functions are performed by the second hand. So even saying that the second hand is used only to hold the device, is not accurate.
I do see a similarity more between larger, current generation fixed wing aircraft - civil and military - where use of such a stick seems to be pretty universal.
BIG difference there in that the control stick is mounted to the inside of the aircraft and is truly one-handed operation.
The FTA won't be for everyone, and that's fine. But I do think any criticism, plaudits etc. of how well the FTA performs should be reserved until after there has been a good few hours of use in a variety of real-time conditions.
Sure we can wait, but all the marketing material praises the device as being a revolution, and one-handed operation. It purposely hides the total bulk of the components necessary to use it. It is the misleading nature that I am pointing out.

Also note that it does NOT work with the P4P+ controller/screen or Crystal Sky. Also worth mentioning is that the phone mount is only for phones. There is no mount available for tablets. More limitations that I do not have with my trusty, solid, DJI controller by itself.

From what I've read, it will not work with the Crystalsky since it does not have Bluetooth support. No way for it to connect to the FTA. You'll have to use a regular phone or tablet.
My CS is cable connected to the USB on the bottom of the controller as DJI recommends (USB). Check the CS manual on the DJI site. No Bluetooth involved. I don’t dispute whether the app in discussion works with it or not... just the connectivity statements regarding the CS.

My CS is cable connected to the USB on the bottom of the controller as DJI recommends (USB). Check the CS manual on the DJI site. No Bluetooth involved. I don’t dispute whether the app in discussion works with it or not... just the connectivity statements regarding the CS.
Yes, that's the way you use it now. However, I believe the FTA uses Bluetooth to connect to the phone/display and a cable to the controller. I don't think you can connect it to both via cable. Since the Crystalsky does not support Bluetooth (a weird choice on DJI's part) you can't connect it to the FTA. Feel free to double check me, of course - I'd love to be wrong about it - but that's what I read.

Yes, that's the way you use it now. However, I believe the FTA uses Bluetooth to connect to the phone/display and a cable to the controller. I don't think you can connect it to both via cable. Since the Crystalsky does not support Bluetooth (a weird choice on DJI's part) you can't connect it to the FTA. Feel free to double check me, of course - I'd love to be wrong about it - but that's what I read.
Wil do, thanks.

On the plus side, I just checked their web site and they start shipping June 24!! Apparently my lovely bride pre-ordered me one a couple weeks back so I'm anxiously awaiting mine!

I watched the videos it seems awkward. No way would I pay more than I would not pay for it it seems wrong. I just can't wrap my head around understanding why you would want this controller

One-handed flying with this device is at best misleading. Tell me this. If you tie one hand behind your back, can you use this device to fly your drone? The answer is a resounding and overwhelming NO. Thus it cannot possibly be one-handed flying.
I was not referencing YouTube videos but the actual Fluidity website. The videos of people using the device are shot so that the remote controller is either minimized from view or completely missing. Also look at the videos from CES where they have people testing the device. They rigged it so it is ONLY the device. No remote control. No wires. Not even a phone attached to it.

Yes and no. It is quite evident that the camera tilt and other functions are performed by the second hand. So even saying that the second hand is used only to hold the device, is not accurate.

BIG difference there in that the control stick is mounted to the inside of the aircraft and is truly one-handed operation.

Sure we can wait, but all the marketing material praises the device as being a revolution, and one-handed operation. It purposely hides the total bulk of the components necessary to use it. It is the misleading nature that I am pointing out.

Also note that it does NOT work with the P4P+ controller/screen or Crystal Sky. Also worth mentioning is that the phone mount is only for phones. There is no mount available for tablets. More limitations that I do not have with my trusty, solid, DJI controller by itself.
As I have said at the end of my post on this subject; DJI pilots will almost certainly be among the first to show through their wallets whether the FTA is a failure. In this country, at least, there would be a number of consumer laws capable of bringing Fluidity Technologies to account if it was able to be demonstrated the FTA wasn't what it was held out to be!
Your views and opinions are noted, and respected. I hope my summation on this forum will also be conferred a similar respect.

I saw the ad, watched the videos, and my first reaction (prior to coming here) was: "Why on earth would you spend so much money for another controller that definitely requires 2 hands to operate?". I agree with the folks here that don't understand the purpose of this remote. It might be fun at first to fly your UAS with different controls, but I'd bet that after the novelty wears off you'll be using the good ole DJI remote. Red flags abound when their pitch starts off with "The engineer was a NASA astronaut!"; big deal he just made a joystick for consumer drones.

hard not to by cynical about this one, but i think there is a small market for it..
I think it's a given/implied that you need to use it with DJI goggles or Moverios's
The phone attachment is counter-intuitive.
But yeh with goggles on, the trigger throttle could be very fun.
Im not sure how the joystick moves without the base being held or on a surface.

I'll say this, looking at people with the joystick in their hand and pinkie on the gimbal rotate button,
it looks..how do i say this...pleasing? ;)

But seriously not having used it I cant condemn it and i think it has a market for some pilots who
are used to nothing but stick.

Last edited:
For me, it comes down to separating flight control and camera control. It is in no way a single handed controller - you fly with your dominant hand and control photography and hold the base with your other. This is fundamental to why I'm looking forward to using it. I believe I will be able to better control the UAV than I can with a dual stick system. If I could fly frequently, it wouldn't be a big deal but since I can't, I'd like to use the system that seems the most natural to me, and that is a joystick. Despite years of flying RC helicopters and drones, it's probably the many more years I spent flying flight and space sims with joysticks that means I'm still more comfortable with joystick control.

Already posted a couple of times on this subject, but happy to add some new info' from a group of guys who have had "some" recent hands on with the FTA.
Sorry that it isn't an actual link, but I suspect anyone will be able to find it and pick what YT vid' they want to watch from the Drone Owners Network.
As I have previously suggested; the success, or otherwise, of the FTA will probably be determined by DJI users supporting this device through their wallets'. If it doesn't live up to expectations (I have ordered one) then I suspect this forum will contain more tales of woe than wall to wall plaudits.
Fluidity Tech's director of marketing probably hasn't done to great a job with promoting the FTA's pre-market launch hype, which was possibly too long in the gestation and a little short on actual reviews garnered by sending this product out to maybe a few hundred would be users to figuratively test the FTA to destruction, in their "real world" environments.
I suspect I am in the camp where I feel it will suit my style of command and control of two different activities - one, flying the photographic platform, and two, getting the best photographic results I can - when the good Lord saw fit to bless me with only two hands, and curse me with a male brain, which any woman will tell you is singularly incapable of thinking about more than one thing at a time! ??
The 'Beta' testers amongst us may well end up with a bit of a raw deal, if the FTA proves to be too buggy. I hope though that Fluidity Tech' will listen, learn and react PDQ (pretty darn quick) with fixes and updates.
:rolleyes:o_OThumbswayup:cool:

Reactions: TheWolfen

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saikiran Villa