DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FT Aviator?

Got mine this week and am looking forward to using it. I'm disappointed tho' that i didn't read enough about the requirements. The phone I've been using is a Samsung S5 ver 4 and just discovered that it requires at least Android 8. Now I've gotta find a cheap phone, perhaps I'll get lucky on Amazon Prime Day next week.

Another thing I noted but I hesitate to mention it wanting to avoid off topic responses that have been discussed copiously in other threads. When we move cattle through the mountains, often this time of year, I would like a little more range as well as an increase in the height limitation.

We're a long way from any NFZs. I asked about the possibility of using "no limit drones" software and got a delayed reply (I'm sure they were super busy). Here is a partial quote from their reply:

"We adhere to the same flight restrictions as DJI as the app is built on the DJI software dev kit. This means that all no fly zones, height limitations and other safety oriented features are implemented in the FT Aviator ecosystem. You will use the FT Aviator app with the compatible fleet of DJI drones."

So I'm assuming NLD client and other apps are probably not usable with it. Not a deal breaker but I'm glad I got Kickstarter pricing early.

I think the FT would make it easier and more natural to control a drone if you've never flown one, or don't fly very often. I guess it depends on your particular needs, but I'm going to pass on this one. I use my drones for filming and I'm used to sticks (I'm a long time RC flyer). I imagine most people can get the same precision of a full joystick if they just start using a 2-finger grip method on each control stick. Driving with your thumbs is fine for rough placement, but placing the M2P in "T" mode, with two fingers gripping each stick, results in a tremendous amount of precision.

Plus.... and this is just me, I really just don't want any more things to charge up before I head out for the day.

If people want to really bone up on controller practice, I'd save a few bucks and buy RealFlight 8 (get the version with the controller). Plus, you get to fly some RC aircraft and REALLY appreciate a drone's built-in forgiveness =D

I’m flying an original Mavic Pro and had some issues with the FT. Using Fluidity’s software I kept getting “interference” messages scrolling across the top of the screen from power up to shutdown. Also, while using full down on the thumb control the drone wouldn’t land. I had to disconnect and use the DJI tx. to land.
I shot their support division some emails concerning my issues. Their replies came about three hours later. At first there was no joy, but they were undeterred. The next day Keith asked me for my phone number, and called me at a pre arraigned time to walk me through the calibration procedure. I had high hopes, but still no landing.
Finally I got a message at 5:27am (!) this morning to turn off the downward sensors in Go4. BINGO! Works as advertised. The interference warnings are an interface issue and can be ignored. They’re working on a fix.
Personal calls and 24hour emails, these guys are really serious about support. I have a great feeling about Fluidity Tech.
I shared a Nest doorbell video of my first successful landing with them, and I got an email from Scott, the founder thanking me for persevering through the process. I just told him to give Keith a raise.......

Success

Jake

Last edited:
Reactions: TheWolfen
Maybe a USB Bluetooth adapter? They’re only a few dollars on Amazon - plug one of those into a USB port on the CrystalSky, and that could very well be all we need.

[/QUOTE
I would get one if I thought I could get the CS working on it. Let me know what happens - Thanks
They couldn't tell me if that would work or not at the shop.

I have one on the way. The problem is you have to side load the their app. My understanding is that there is no way to do this yet. Seems like the CS should recognize the adapter though.

I have one on the way. The problem is you have to side load the their app. My understanding is that there is no way to do this yet. Seems like the CS should recognize the adapter though.

I'm cool with sideloading the app - I already did that for Litchi.

I was ready to do an "either/or" fly with the CrystalSky or FT Aviator, but if I can do both...... that's just sweet.

I've got a BT dongle at home somewhere; will give that a try once my Aviator arrives - it's on the FedEx truck for delivery Friday!

I've had mine for a few weeks. Have only had it out to fly it twice, due to prior time commitments and some really lousy weather here in the northeast.

My first impressions, given the short time that I've been able to fly with it are as follows:

First the Pros:
  • In terms of flying the drone, it works and it works well. There's a little latency that is adjusted with the sensitivity control wheel, that I had to get used to, but that didn't take very long.
  • The hand position is natural, but not what I'm used to. It will likely take more time.
  • I like the software. It's pretty natural...although the first time it connected, it gave me photo options I didn't have (like variable F-Stops - I have an MPP) and the gimbal control didn't work...I think the software thought I had a different drone than I have. The second time I connected though, it made a better choice: I no longer had those additional controls and everything worked properly.
Now the Cons:
  • In terms of the device itself, it's a bit disappointing. From the descriptions and videos, I expected it to have some heft and...well...fluidity of motion (hence the name of the company). I expected a solid, professional-feeling controller (like the DJI controllers), with smooth, easy stick movement. In reality, the device has the feel of a Taiwanese knockoff. The plastic is brittle-feeling, the device is too light, and it kind of feels "toy-like". I expected smooth movements and a solid feel - it just doesn't feel that way.
  • The thumb "strap" is a thin piece of plastic that clicks down on the top of your thumb. It's not particularly comfortable against your cuticle. You also don't really get the feeling that you can lift up with your thumb alone without possibly snapping the strap free - you really need to use your index finger on the other side to climb. I'm not really sure if the thumb needs to be used at all in this case, as the pressure needs to be substantial and it needs to come from index finger to be effective. As I said, I haven't flown with it much yet - but I'll be surprised if I don't break that strap, or at least cause it to open up on its own, sometime in the near future.
  • In general, the resistance of the device to movement makes it feel a little sluggish. You effectively find yourself using both of your hands to make every move - moving them against each others' direction to effect the stick position. You need to fight it a bit to move the joystick, particularly when you're yawing. Consequently, I found myself having to think ahead a bit more than usual, to give myself time to find the sweet spot on the controller to get the drone to do what I wanted it to. I've heard people say that two-stick controllers are counter-intuitive, but I'm not one who found that to be true. Even though I had not had any experience with a two stick controllers before getting my DJI Drone (MPP), I had absolutely no issues getting accustomed to immediate, subconscious translation of what I want the drone to do to the sticks...on the other hand, my aviator has me quite conscious of what I'm doing. I find myself having to really think before moving.
To be completely fair, I have to log a lot more hours with the Aviator to give a fair assessment. Though I don't think I'll be changing my opinion regarding the feel of the device, flying it will likely become more intuitive. I'm still awaiting the Moverio release of the software - so I can see what flying the drone with the stick and the goggles will do...I'm still hopeful that the stick will complement the glasses an make the overall experience more enjoyable.

I should also add that I will be trying to fly with the stick, the Moverios, a BT-35E controller hooked to a NVIDIA Shield...to get that experience. I am going to do that the next chance I get.

- Gary

Well, finally got to fly yesterday with my FT Aviator... and I LOVE IT!

It allows for some nice, smooth flying. Feels much more "natural" to me than the two-stick approach.

Also works splendidly well with my DJI Goggles + Mavic.

Here's a great shot of my son flying with it - he's a good pilot with his own Phantom, but he really enjoyed flying with the Aviator as well!

My biggest gripe is that I wish there were a little more travel in the yaw control. The X and Y axis have plenty of travel, but yaw feels a little tight. Wish I could open it up just a hair more. Now how's *that* for nitpicky?

(ps - the situation awareness indicators at the top of the stick? Dang genius!)

Attachments

• IMG_1908.jpg
    IMG_1908.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 28
Reactions: lightbg
Love the idea but controllers controlling controllers is a recipe for disaster IMO. Just wait until DJI changes things within their controller to interrupt the API comm feeds to Fluidity... Right around the time DJI releases their own integrated unit I suspect. Also very skeptical for longevity component quality watching Ken Heron's multiple failed Youtube reviews.

Reactions: PhantomFandom
I've had mine for a few weeks. Have only had it out to fly it twice, due to prior time commitments and some really lousy weather here in the northeast.

My first impressions, given the short time that I've been able to fly with it are as follows:

First the Pros:
  • In terms of flying the drone, it works and it works well. There's a little latency that is adjusted with the sensitivity control wheel, that I had to get used to, but that didn't take very long.
  • The hand position is natural, but not what I'm used to. It will likely take more time.
  • I like the software. It's pretty natural...although the first time it connected, it gave me photo options I didn't have (like variable F-Stops - I have an MPP) and the gimbal control didn't work...I think the software thought I had a different drone than I have. The second time I connected though, it made a better choice: I no longer had those additional controls and everything worked properly.
Now the Cons:
  • In terms of the device itself, it's a bit disappointing. From the descriptions and videos, I expected it to have some heft and...well...fluidity of motion (hence the name of the company). I expected a solid, professional-feeling controller (like the DJI controllers), with smooth, easy stick movement. In reality, the device has the feel of a Taiwanese knockoff. The plastic is brittle-feeling, the device is too light, and it kind of feels "toy-like". I expected smooth movements and a solid feel - it just doesn't feel that way.
  • The thumb "strap" is a thin piece of plastic that clicks down on the top of your thumb. It's not particularly comfortable against your cuticle. You also don't really get the feeling that you can lift up with your thumb alone without possibly snapping the strap free - you really need to use your index finger on the other side to climb. I'm not really sure if the thumb needs to be used at all in this case, as the pressure needs to be substantial and it needs to come from index finger to be effective. As I said, I haven't flown with it much yet - but I'll be surprised if I don't break that strap, or at least cause it to open up on its own, sometime in the near future.
  • In general, the resistance of the device to movement makes it feel a little sluggish. You effectively find yourself using both of your hands to make every move - moving them against each others' direction to effect the stick position. You need to fight it a bit to move the joystick, particularly when you're yawing. Consequently, I found myself having to think ahead a bit more than usual, to give myself time to find the sweet spot on the controller to get the drone to do what I wanted it to. I've heard people say that two-stick controllers are counter-intuitive, but I'm not one who found that to be true. Even though I had not had any experience with a two stick controllers before getting my DJI Drone (MPP), I had absolutely no issues getting accustomed to immediate, subconscious translation of what I want the drone to do to the sticks...on the other hand, my aviator has me quite conscious of what I'm doing. I find myself having to really think before moving.
To be completely fair, I have to log a lot more hours with the Aviator to give a fair assessment. Though I don't think I'll be changing my opinion regarding the feel of the device, flying it will likely become more intuitive. I'm still awaiting the Moverio release of the software - so I can see what flying the drone with the stick and the goggles will do...I'm still hopeful that the stick will complement the glasses an make the overall experience more enjoyable.

I should also add that I will be trying to fly with the stick, the Moverios, a BT-35E controller hooked to a NVIDIA Shield...to get that experience. I am going to do that the next chance I get.

- Gary
@ Gary
I think you were spot on with your review. I saw your review before I received my controller. I just received mine 3 days ago. It's been a few weeks for you. Have you change your mind of the feel of using it. did it get better after using it longer? Are you even using it? I have been flying with 2 stick for 50+ years. First time I use it as shown. I said to myself it's junk. had the same problem as you. I never even took the phone holder out of the box. I prefer using a larger screen. mini 4 or pro 10.5. you said: the device is too light, and it kind of feels "toy-like" I looked at it a bit and found only the head end of the stick is light in weight. where the situation awareness led were. The rest of the stick has a bit of weight to it. I agree the head feels and sound hollow. But I think that is because the want to keep it light on the end of the stick. I found out using and testing it if you tilt the controller base forward more than 20 to 30 degrees forward. The spring in the stick will not recenter itself even when your hand is off the stick. More weight on the end means a harder time for the stick to return to the center. As soon as you tilt the bottom base back to level it recenters itself again. I founded out when using a tripod. base tilted forward just a bit too much not knowing. I was up 300 ft ready to change a camera setting. I saw the screen moving forward not drifting but forward not at a fast speed but still moving. And it only does that with the base tilted forward not tilted backward.that is why I mount everything down. I can fly it using both hands as is but it is not the same as being mounted. I think that is why it's light if the Handel was any heavier, it would have even a harder to recenter itself.
You said. the resistance of the device to movement makes it feel a little sluggish. You effectively find yourself using both of your hands to make every move - moving them against each others' direction to effect the stick position. You need to fight it a bit to move the joystick, particularly when you're yawing. Consequently, I found myself having to think ahead a bit more than usual, to give myself time to find the sweet spot on the controller to get the drone to do what I wanted it to.
Totally Agree on Yawing problem and has to be the very first thing they need to fix just too jumpy. I can wait for the other fixes. You are not going to need to use your tilt to take photos or video. if you can't or never get there.
I had a few days to test and try a few things. To me after seeing ALL the videos and reviews. I find that the base to be the main problem to start.
Here are a few ways I tried to eliminate as much of the problem using this controller. and that is on the user end. FT still has a little work to do and I hope the updates come soon. Like to hear your input of what you have done or tried since this review. This is the kind of item I can just put away and never use again. but I prefer the make the best out of it from my end.

IMG_0748.jpgfile1-3.jpegIMG_0754 - Copy (2).jpgfile1-2.jpegfile6.jpeg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom