DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Full specs, RC compatibility, and more (48MP RAW, optional 47min battery) released via an early store listing

It was a critical feature that set apart the Mini and Air lines.
So, I'm really curious if they are enabling it now on the Mini 3 Pro.
Very informative!

Asking out of ignorance, how is this distinct from a video that you just run at high speed? More specifically, what about it is better (for some purpose) than just running a video at high speed?

Thx!

MM...FP..?
Potentially much better image quality due to the frames being pictures

Define critical. I only used it once, to see what it did.
It's a personal preference but for context the Air 2 launched before the Mini 2 and had it baked into the software.
The Mavic 3 also has it after the updates got pushed post launch.
So the Mini lines didn't receive it but the Air and Mavic 2/3 had it.
And I think this hinges on the waypoint aspect since DJi didn't support waypoints on the Mini line but of course you could use Litchi or other third party apps once the SDK dropped.
Very informative!

Asking out of ignorance, how is this distinct from a video that you just run at high speed? More specifically, what about it is better (for some purpose) than just running a video at high speed?

Thx!

MM...FP..?
A timelapse illustrates the passage of time through a video outputted from pictures taken at a defined interval.
You could take a video and slow it down/speed it up but the movement becomes unnatural, focus issues/exposure issue and of course you don't get key aspects of timelapses such as light trails, etc.
That's the critical distinction??

If that's true, there's clearly some benefit to hyperlapse that I'm just not seeing. What are some of the use cases for it?

Thanks for indulging the photo-ignorant!

:cool:

MM...FP..?
It's critical because the feature hinges on the support of waypoints by DJi.
If its able to do hyperlapses then it should also have support for waypoints,

For the Mini 2, I got around the lack of this feature by using the interval shooting mode and using precise throttle control while using the histogram to lock onto a specific reference point.

And when DJi allowed you to reset the homepoint, I used that as a gimped waypoint by flying to where I wanted to start the hyperlapse from, going into interval mode and using CINE speed to have a relatively defined movement rate.

It worked but it was very cumbersome. That was one of the key differences between the Mini and Air/Mavic lines.

Additionally, on the Air you could save the waypoints in the hyperlapse.
So, shoot at day, land. Relaunch at night, and shoot the same path.
But the Airs didn't have a very high battery life compared to the Mavic 3.

If the Mini 3 Pro can do 45 mins or close too on the extended you could capture "Holy Grail Timelapses" which are timelapses shot during dawn to dusk/dusk to dawn.
Holy Grail because they are hard to do and additionally they illustrate a mesmerizing change of light (natural and artificial). Imagine a city waking up/city going to sleep., etc.

Very informative!

Thx!

MM...FP..?
Fewer frames, much smaller file. For example, a video might be shot at 30 frames per second and a hyperlapse at one frame per two seconds. 60X difference.

For me, I see hyperlapse as being good for showing change in a scene over time or patterns of activity rather than motion.

Dead right about O 3. I live in mountainous heavily forested country. I love the Mini 2 but I lose signal regularly…..dip below a hill, get behind some trees….no contact. I have bought an Air 2 S which blew me away for performance in every way, particularly Occusync 3. I can now go to places that I would never dare to go to with the Mini and O2. The connection is fantastic.
One thing to always keep in mind is O3 is not magic, and can't make radio waves penetrate opaque paths (hills, dense forest, dense fog). Tree stands thicker than about a dozen tress (guesstimate) between you and the drone will severely degrade the signal. We are power and spectrum limited to get better performance.

When they release O20 as part of the fully autonomous DJI Nano MilSpec, but at the same power and bands, it will cut out over the same hill at the same place as O3.

Last edited:
That's the critical distinction??

If that's true, there's clearly some benefit to hyperlapse that I'm just not seeing. What are some of the use cases for it?

Thanks for indulging the photo-ignorant!

:cool:

MM...FP..?
Yup – you're not seeing it.

Hyperlapse is a technique that produces a speeded up reality while the drone's temporal reference frame seems to be running at normal speed.

It looks like the drone is moving normally while everything else is sped up frantically. The effect is that from the drone's perspective, time has slowed down.

The same can be accomplished with normal flight, and then speeding up the source. In fact this is what the drone does: It flies REALLY slow, for 15-20 minutes, capture a frame every 3 seconds. It then speeds it up by a factor of 90x from 1 frame per 3 seconds to 30fps.

So yes, you could sit there for 20 minutes and try to fly some path, orbit, etc. with the precision of the Flight Controller, then speed the video up and drop most of the frames.

And it will look like crap, totally unusable, worthless. You can't duplicate the steadiness of the machine.

Why would people think this will the first DJI “pro” drone without all the features “pro” entails?

You could take a video and slow it down/speed it up but the movement becomes unnatural, focus issues/exposure issue and of course you don't get key aspects of timelapses such as light trails, etc.
I guess I'm just not looking from the right perspective. The "atomized" motion in a hyperlapse is what looks unnatural to me.
It's critical because the feature hinges on the support of waypoints by DJi.
If its able to do hyperlapses then it should also have support for waypoints,
I completely get the desirability of waypoints. I bought Litchi a couple of months ago, but the weather's been flakey enough that I haven't had a chance to play with it.
If the Mini 3 Pro can do 45 mins or close too on the extended you could capture "Holy Grail Timelapses" which are timelapses shot during dawn to dusk/dusk to dawn.
Holy Grail because they are hard to do and additionally they illustrate a mesmerizing change of light (natural and artificial). Imagine a city waking up/city going to sleep., etc.
I may be hopeless around this issue. I guess there's a reason I went into first auto shop and then high technology, rather than any artistic field. I'm much more at home with a wrench than a paint brush...
Fewer frames, much smaller file. For example, a video might be shot at 30 frames per second and a hyperlapse at one frame per two seconds. 60X difference.
Again, asking sincerely out of ignorance...so what? Storage is cheap these days. What's the payoff to the smaller number of frames?
So yes, you could sit there for 20 minutes and try to fly some path, orbit, etc. with the precision of the Flight Controller, then speed the video up and drop most of the frames.

And it will look like crap, totally unusable, worthless. You can't duplicate the steadiness of the machine.
OK, this gives me a dim image on the edge of what it might be useful for. Timelapse/hyperlapse has always seemed like a bit of a gimmick to me. But I have all the fine artistic sense of a mule...

Thx,

MM...FPV?

Looks like I was wrong about the camera tilt. Being able to make a true 360 pano does indeed seem possible now.

OK, this gives me a dim image on the edge of what it might be useful for. Timelapse/hyperlapse has always seemed like a bit of a gimmick to me. But I have all the fine artistic sense of a mule...
Gimmick is right – that's what it is. A.k.a "effect".

With a well-chosen flight path, the effect can be quite astonishing. The key is enough motion on the part of the drone to give the feeling of normal time passage in flight, while the world seems to be running on a faster clock.

IMO, Hyperlapse requires a drone to do at all. Some smartphones have this feature, which is useless. A fixed position Hyperlapse is simply what you were questioning earlier... speeded up video.

More price and configuration leaks

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-04-26 at 11.28.56 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-26 at 11.28.56 AM.png
    179.2 KB · Views: 46
More price and configuration leaks
I keep seeing those same prices but why is the FMK multitudes less than everything else ?? The same typo has followed every leak posted so they are obviously coming from the same place. Makes no sense.

I keep seeing those same prices but why is the FMK multitudes less than everything else ?? The same typo has followed every leak posted so they are obviously coming from the same place. Makes no sense.
I thought the same, then I got an idea, what about if all Mini3 will sell just the drone, one battery and the respective RC and the FMC just includes 2 extra batteries, hub charger, cables. That could explain the price. Don't take my words for granted but makes sense.

Reactions: MS Coast
I thought the same, then I got an idea, what about if all Mini3 will sell just the drone, one battery and the respective RC and the FMC just includes 2 extra batteries, hub charger, cables. That could explain the price. Don't take my words for granted but makes sense.
Makes perfect sense. It's a Fly More Kit rather than a Fly More Combo.

Reactions: Faster

Precisely. From an inventory standpoint, makes it easier to manage as well.

Reactions: MS Coast
Still no FCC listings... :(

It's coming. Interesting that the props screw onto the motors the way they do. I don't have a Mini or Mini 2, is that how those work also?
screen-shot-2022-04-28-at-9-46-10-am-png.147455

FRapo2DaQAAJ9pG

FRapo2oaQAAeMNg

FRapo2uagAEK68L

FRapo1waMAEKR6l

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-04-28 at 9.46.10 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-28 at 9.46.10 AM.png
    162.5 KB · Views: 53
That prop attachment method sucks. I remember having experienced changing props on my mini, quite often as it's the drone I learnt flying on (hence, lots of crashes, I even cracked an arm), and there were always issues with balance and flimsyness (even when changing both blades as a package-matched pair too). It also requires a tool and it's not quick-detach capable.

Other than a head-on encounter with reality on my DJI FPV, I've had no crashes since then so it wouldn't be annoying to switch blades. Still, I dislike that design.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78