DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Fun With Skyscrapers (3:05)

spamgnome

Reactions
Had some fun flying among the skyscrapers of Austin the other day. The main building in this video is the “Jenga” building the tallest building in Austin. I couldn’t quite get to the the top of it as I was already at 400’ and was getting high wind warnings.

Were you aware that you can legally fly your drone higher than 400'? Conditions have to exist though....When you are flying your drone around a tall building such as you did, if conditions are right (i.e., not in a no-fly zone restricted by FAA, and you are comfortable that wind conditions are safe), you are authorized, within 400 feet of the building or other structure, to fly up to the top. For instance, if a building is 300 feet high, you can go to the top of it and legally fly 400 feet higher. This is an exception to the FAA rule that under general flying conditions you must not exceed 400 feet. This is the FAA exception to be able to record tall buildings that exist in other than "no fly" zones. In essence, if your building is 300 feet high, you can legally fly to 700 feet. As far as I am aware, this is the only exception to the 400 feet drone height rule.

Last edited:
Were you aware that you can legally fly your drone higher than 400'?

Thanks for the reply! Yes, I'm well aware and I had my max height set to 1,000', but then I started seeing the high wind warnings, so I opted to not go any higher. That building is actually 690 feet, so even at my max set height of 1,000' I still could have gone another 100. I hope to go back another day when I can actually go to the top of that building as well as others.

Reactions: MavRik
Thanks for the reply! Yes, I'm well aware and I had my max height set to 1,000', but then I started seeing the high wind warnings, so I opted to not go any higher. That building is actually 690 feet, so even at my max set height of 1,000' I still could have gone another 100. I hope to go back another day when I can actually go to the top of that building as well as others.

You are certainly welcome! Great job!

Had some fun flying among the skyscrapers of Austin the other day. The main building in this video is the “Jenga” building the tallest building in Austin. I couldn’t quite get to the the top of it as I was already at 400’ and was getting high wind warnings.

Cool video! Love Austin. Grew up in Buda and grandmother lived just south of Town Lake just off Riverside Drive.

Reactions: MavRik
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78