DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gear 360 and Mavic Air, anyone has done it?

Lady Rover

Reactions
Hi,

I try to attach my Gear360 camera (2016 = 1st model year=152g) to the Mavic Air.
It revs extremely high and gives a max engi e rev warning and wants to contiue climbing.
When I try to gently rev down the props slow and stop turning.

The 2017 model of the Gear360 is with 130g slightly lighter, but I do not have one...

In YouTube there are a few people who seem to have done it.

What are the experience of the folks here?

Did it work? Similar problems?

Last edited:
I haven't done it yet, but I did 3d print a case to try it with. Just need to attach a go pro mount and snap it on.

Are you putting it on top or the bottom of the air?

Reactions: Mavic Airick
I haven't done it yet, but I did 3d print a case to try it with. Just need to attach a go pro mount and snap it on.

Are you putting it on top or the bottom of the air?
I have put 360 on top of mav pro. IF you do try it make sure it is really secure, hits one prop and your going down. Stability wise you dont get axis smoothness in wind. Definitely is impressive.

I have put 360 on top of mav pro. IF you do try it make sure it is really secure, hits one prop and your going down. Stability wise you dont get axis smoothness in wind. Definitely is impressive.
I was planning to run it under and use it like a handle for launch and landing. I will probably try it on my 5" fpv drone first, then the Air.

I was planning to run it under and use it like a handle for launch and landing. I will probably try it on my 5" fpv drone first, then the Air.
Read up affects of your bottom sensors though

OK. Tried again, but only if the gear is very close to the drones body.

I wanted to put a 500mm carbon tube between drone and the camera, but the drone suffers from a pendulum movement when I do that.
Sucessively trimming the tube down helped.
Flies most stable if attached directly to the underside of the drone without a tube in between camera of drone.
Interesting enough this pendulum motion stays even with bottom sensors off. Wonder if the fact that Carbon is electricity conductive causes this somehow despite not being connected to the drones electric circuit. Radio interference?

Mounting to the top of the drone works, but defeats the object, as the the interesting things to see are below.

Secondly, as I was already aware of the video quality of the 360degree video is not nice as it spreads the full 4k resolution over the full 360 sphere.
Haven't seen a much better video capable 360 camera so far though.

OK. Tried again, but only if the gear is very close to the drones body.

I wanted to put a 500mm carbon tube between drone and the camera, but the drone suffers from a pendulum movement when I do that.
Sucessively trimming the tube down helped.
Flies most stable if attached directly to the underside of the drone without a tube in between camera of drone.
Interesting enough this pendulum motion stays even with bottom sensors off. Wonder if the fact that Carbon is electricity conductive causes this somehow despite not being connected to the drones electric circuit. Radio interference?

Mounting to the top of the drone works, but defeats the object, as the the interesting things to see are below.

Secondly, as I was already aware of the video quality of the 360degree video is not nice as it spreads the full 4k resolution over the full 360 sphere.
Haven't seen a much better video capable 360 camera so far though.
Insta360 spacemonkey used has good video. I just have prob. putting anything near bottom sensors or camera affecting the rth feature which is my pacifier in an emergency.[emoji16]

As far as I understand RTH should work fine until the final descent without sensors switched on.
Drone flies home with GPS on higher altitude (min is set to do this at 50m to avoid trees).
When I can see her almost above me, I abort RTH and land manually without sensors.

Actually I feel this is safer in a tight spot than relying on obstacle avoidance.

As far as I understand RTH should work fine until the final descent without sensors switched on.
Drone flies home with GPS on higher altitude (min is set to do this at 50m to avoid trees).
When I can see her almost above me, I abort RTH and land manually without sensors.

Actually I feel this is safer in a tight spot than relying on obstacle avoidance.
Been underneath and to the side watching what rth does. It adjust and readjust as it comes down. The final adjustment seems to be at 30 ft.

Sorry about the late response, I just joined the forum recently. I thought I would share my latest gear 360 experience with the Mavic air. I found a "Portable Tripod Bracket for DJI Mavic Air Handheld Gimbal Stabilizer"

I used the piece circled with a screw to connect the adapter to the gear 360.
My gear 360 weighs 159g. I tried it indoors, and got engine warnings. I havent tried it with the more efficient props yet. The setup was stable and the footage turned out good. I found that the gear 360 app had an electronic stabilization setting I had turned off, so turning it on would only help things, I just ordered a DJI Osmos mobile 2 gimbo that I could put between the gear 360 and Mavic air, but havent got the gimbo yet. It might weigh too much. Hopefully the setup would be ok on a calm day and the Mavic Airs control algorithm won't get confused and send it inverted, unstable or out of control. I have the leg extensions, which show up in the video, which when/if I go outside probably will take off.

If anyone tries to mount the camera on the bottom of a Mavic Pro (and this might apply to the Air), I would _highly_ recommend that you turn off the bottom sensors first. If you don't, the Pro will rise, but it won't want to descend. This makes it just a little difficult to land. The problem is that most under belly mounts block (or slightly block) the downward sensors.

I built a mount for my Typhoon for this but never tried it. Since then I got a Ricoh Theta V which is lighter and lightyears better in image quality. I might go out and try it, but from reading up I believe that the lack of a gimbal for it will make the video or pictures kind of garbage.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The gear 360 2017 can be bid on e-bay for less than $50. It has in internal gyroscope, which acts like a gimbal. When recording while upright, off of the Mavic, the 360 seems to works fine. I mounted it upside down under the Mavic, and twice it has shut down after 2 seconds into the flight. Next time I'm going to connect to the 2017 gear 360 with my smartphone before flying around to make sure its recording. All 360 recordings I have seen so far have been top mounts. Maybe thats the reason. The first flight I thought I hit the record button while hand launching, but the second flight the two leds were blinking, signifying that it was recording, but there was no file on the sd card.

The gear 360 2017 can be bid on e-bay for less than $50. It has in internal gyroscope, which acts like a gimbal. When recording while upright, off of the Mavic, the 360 seems to works fine. I mounted it upside down under the Mavic, and twice it has shut down after 2 seconds into the flight. Next time I'm going to connect to the 2017 gear 360 with my smartphone before flying around to make sure its recording. All 360 recordings I have seen so far have been top mounts. Maybe thats the reason. The first flight I thought I hit the record button while hand launching, but the second flight the two leds were blinking, signifying that it was recording, but there was no file on the sd card.
Try uninstall gear 360 app before flying to avoid Wifi conflicts between dji go 4 and gear 360 app
If the app is installed, when the camera is turned on it automatically connects to the cell phone via wifi. However, if the camera moves away from the cell phone, it is disconnected and switched off. Using the camera independently, it will not turn off

Last edited:
If anyone tries to mount the camera on the bottom of a Mavic Pro (and this might apply to the Air), I would _highly_ recommend that you turn off the bottom sensors first. If you don't, the Pro will rise, but it won't want to descend. This makes it just a little difficult to land. The problem is that most under belly mounts block (or slightly block) the downward sensors.
i found that intersting
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bdleffler