DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Getting back into it.

Vapor_Trail

Reactions
Hey Now!!

Long time listener, first time caller. From beautiful West Fresno, the Jewel of Central California! I'm just getting back into drones after about 4-5 year hiatus. I have a Phantom 2 Vision + that has been in storage for the last three years, it's a little crusty and in need of some TLC. So in the mean time I'm looking at getting a new one. And my my, have drones improved since I've been away.

I'm looking at a DJI Mini 2 to get my feet wet again. Seems like a great value and a hell of good little drone. Does anyone here have much experience with the Smart Controller? Is it worth the big cost? Or is the stock controller plenty good? I've seen differing opinions on it's quality. I usually am the type to go big or go home, but in this case I think I'll start small and go from there.

All the best,
Josh

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :) Enjoy the forum! Thumbswayup

The Rm500 Smart Controller adds value by being all-in-one; no need to tape a phone to the remote. Plus it is bright and more or less daylight visible. But you also have other options for a bright display that also has a larger screen. The Rm500 5.5" display is tiny. There are 2000nit 8" tablets (twice the RM500 brightness and size). A bit spendy, but maybe worth looking into.

The Rm500 Smart Controller adds value by being all-in-one; no need to tape a phone to the remote. Plus it is bright and more or less daylight visible. But you also have other options for a bright display that also has a larger screen. The Rm500 5.5" display is tiny. There are 2000nit 8" tablets (twice the RM500 brightness and size). A bit spendy, but maybe worth looking into.

Very interesting. I hadn't even thought about a tablet like that. The asking price for new appears to be the same or a bit less than the ask for the smart remotes. That's something to keep an eye out for in the next couple weeks before I pull the trigger on an Air 2.

I'm trying to get up to speed on the current technology and gear before I starting dropping dollars. Unlike in the past, where I'd just knee jerk a purchase and learn about it after, too many regrets that way.

Thank you for the input.

Welcome to the forum from Oklahoma. Do the research so you buy once. The smart controller is nice compared to having a phone on the regular controller. I like mine. Boots up fast, is bright, keeps my phone in my pocket and available for a call or a quick internet search. However, Tablets are great due to their size.

Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .Thumbswayup

Great to have you here @ MP @Vapor_Trail!! Thanks for joining us.
I'm a little NE of Sacramento. I fly a Mini 2. Love it. Can't help with the smart controller, but smarter-than-me people here can. I'll leave it to them.

Welcome to the forum from the dry lakeless hills of Lake City FL. An irony... I know. If lakes grew here as much as your knowledge will, Lake City would become an ocean. ;)

Welcome again!

Welcome to the forum from the beautiful woods of Maine!
I use a Mini 5 but do have problems seeing the screen in bright sunlight. It’s all about NITs, the higher the number the better visibility in bright sunlight. See the attached link Best Tablets and Phones for DJI GO & DJI Fly (Updated Daily) | Phantom Help for a list of phones and tablets, if you decide to go that way.

Thanks for the welcomes and info everybody! I'm already much more learned than I was before I joined! I pretty much have my heart set on a Mini 2 at this time, but I get the feeling it will end up as one of many. Especially being around so many other drone enthusiasts (freaks)! :)
The Mini 2 to is an exceptional drone for the $$$. Have fun and welcome back to the hobby.

Cheers!

Greetings from Birmingham Alabama, welcome to the forum!

Welcome to the forum! :)

The Mini 2 to is an exceptional drone for the $$$. Have fun and welcome back to the hobby.

Cheers!
Thank you sir! I'm still doing my due diligence to search out all of my drone options, but I keep coming back to the Mini 2. Because firstly, yes, the donuts to dollars ratio seems pretty high with it, and also the last time I flew my Phantom V2+ I wasn't required to have an FFA license. The size of the Mini will let me get some much wanted flight time without needing the license. The wild, wild west of drone flying has long since passed into history.

All the best,
Josh

Reactions: db4476 and wjkrysak

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Britt