DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Getting confused

gm383

Reactions
I have read and read again on how to fly drone without being illegal. I am a recreational only. Am I required to get prior authoritazion to fly in nfz using LAANC or is that for 107 only? Or can I notify local airport as before and unlock DJI app. Normally I fly where there are no restrictions, but I want to know before hand what to do should it arise. Also has B4U Fly been updated to use LAANC? It doesn't seem to be.

I have read and read again on how to fly drone without being illegal. I am a recreational only. Am I required to get prior authoritazion to fly in nfz using LAANC or is that for 107 only? Or can I notify local airport as before and unlock DJI app. Normally I fly where there are no restrictions, but I want to know before hand what to do should it arise. Also has B4U Fly been updated to use LAANC? It doesn't seem to be.

LAANC is for 107 pilots only as it requires a UAV Pilots Lincese #. As a recreational pilot you only need to contact air traffic control to give them notice if you are planning to fly within 5 miles.

To give you an idea what that looks like I live in Salt Lake City, UT and ATC at Sakt Lake international has an email address that you can email no less that 24 hours in advance with the cordinates of your flight, the time of the planned flight, and max altitude. I imagine most major airports have a system like that.

For smaller airports a call to the control to to let them know about your upcoming flight would work. If it’s an airport you’ll be flying near a lot you could ask them if theses a mutually agreed system you could come up with instead of calling them each time. ATC guys are usually super nice and are usually just happy they are being kept in the loop.

LAANC is for 107 pilots only as it requires a UAV Pilots Lincese #. As a recreational pilot you only need to contact air traffic control to give them notice if you are planning to fly within 5 miles.

To give you an idea what that looks like I live in Salt Lake City, UT and ATC at Sakt Lake international has an email address that you can email no less that 24 hours in advance with the cordinates of your flight, the time of the planned flight, and max altitude. I imagine most major airports have a system like that.

For smaller airports a call to the control to to let them know about your upcoming flight would work. If it’s an airport you’ll be flying near a lot you could ask them if theses a mutually agreed system you could come up with instead of calling them each time. ATC guys are usually super nice and are usually just happy they are being kept in the loop.
Thanks. I thought this was the case for a recreational pilot. Reading threads was where I confused myself. I have used AirNav when the few times where I needed to notify airport and this has worked out.

Reactions: brett8883
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SK farming