DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Getting more creative with Aerial Shots

San_Marino

Reactions
Hey Everyone,

I'm fairly new to the drone game and want some advice on incorporating drone shots into my hiking videos. I really like what aerial shots bring to my videos. They add perspective and help to show off the beauty of nature. However, I want to get more creative with the type of shots I get with my drone, and when I use them in my video. As you will see in the video below, I currently have a lot of first-person perspective shots of the hike which is followed by a montage of aerial shots of the scenery when we get to the summit. Any suggestions of new types of shots I should try and get or how to use the drone shots better throughout the video would be welcome.

Thanks

Reactions: wesleydk
I'm fairly new to the drone game and want some advice on incorporating drone shots into my hiking videos. I really like what aerial shots bring to my videos. They add perspective and help to show off the beauty of nature. However, I want to get more creative with the type of shots I get with my drone, and when I use them in my video. As you will see in the video below, I currently have a lot of first-person perspective shots of the hike which is followed by a montage of aerial shots of the scenery when we get to the summit. Any suggestions of new types of shots I should try and get or how to use the drone shots better throughout the video would be welcome.

Thanks
Hi Nate,
your video is interesting to watch because of the different ground-based shots! You have a good mix of aerial drone shots and the ground based ones! One Tipp: when you walk with the camera try to avoid the up and down movement as for example from 1.58 to 1.05 You have to walk like a cat when she is stalking her prey. It´s only a matter of exercise, try it. It looks way better than the up and down shots! Only my two cents ?
BTW, I enjoyed to watch your video sitting here in my warm editing room ??
cheers Paul

Reactions: San_Marino
Another example of one of my hiking videos that just using drone shots in a montage at the end.
wow, another amazing video Nate! I like very much the variety of drone and ground shots! The opening shot looks suspensful and the sound of the wind enhance the feeling of a coold evil blizzard, very well done ??
Your mate seems really to be a bird-whisperer ?
I like the way you make your videos, they are interesting and it´s a pleasure to watch them, moreover you alway make a good comment!
cheers Paul

Reactions: Co2driver
Great job, music, edit, story telling . . . Your skill as a narrator is my favorite part, very smooth cool and natural. A skill I wish I was better at, I'm motivated to try after seeing what a good job you did and the value it added. I wish you were closer, we'd make a good team. Here's my deal,
As far as using more drone footage, an easily accessible waist pack is a move I've been playing with using my air 2, if your on a relatively easy trail, no stumbling/falling. I am usually not trying to shoot drone shots on easy terrain so my current approach is to find a high point along the climb and shoot from there. Right at the start and end of your trip can be great too for story telling From these points I fly my route with perspectives to show the beauty of the trip I'm taking. It'll always be a work in progress and the journey has been incredibly fun and motivating for me. Please check out some of my videos and posts to jump start your own adventure videos, like you just did for me, again, love the narration brother!

Great job! Your opening graphics are perfect and over drone video, as they should be. You do have a very real, easy to listen to, narrating style. In fact, it all goes together to make your videos look professional but not too slick. Here are a couple of suggestions: Yes, watch the up & down movement of the ground level camera. Follow Jack43's advice. If there isn't as blizzard put in more aerials, they do look great. Once in awhile trying flying by some trees, close. Passing any object closely to then reveal a beautiful, wide scenic shot gives the video perspective. Trying some circling shots too of interesting areas. You might try to tracking function showing you and your colleague hiking. If the drone will keep locked on you, it will give the view a good idea of where you're hiking but you'll have to get good altitude so you don't hit trees. Keep at it. I love watching it all!

Great job, music, edit, story telling . . . Your skill as a narrator is my favorite part, very smooth cool and natural. A skill I wish I was better at, I'm motivated to try after seeing what a good job you did and the value it added. I wish you were closer, we'd make a good team. Here's my deal,
As far as using more drone footage, an easily accessible waist pack is a move I've been playing with using my air 2, if your on a relatively easy trail, no stumbling/falling. I am usually not trying to shoot drone shots on easy terrain so my current approach is to find a high point along the climb and shoot from there. Right at the start and end of your trip can be great too for story telling From these points I fly my route with perspectives to show the beauty of the trip I'm taking. It'll always be a work in progress and the journey has been incredibly fun and motivating for me. Please check out some of my videos and posts to jump start your own adventure videos, like you just did for me, again, love the narration brother!
Your videos are mind blowing! I've watch others and I find myself holding my breath a lot!!! Your narration style is perfect for you. Very real. If I had any criticism at all, and it's only because this is a drone forum, do your best to keep the drone shots smooth, especially when turning. But that really is minor. The Adventure Zone is always exciting and a joy to watch.

Of course it won’t have sound but you over dub anyway. Use your drone for ground in hand walking shots! Gimble works just as well. And for gosh sakes, wear a hat.

Hey Everyone,

Thanks

Your hand held videos showing the walking steps is not natural. You need a gimbal. I would recommend this one from DJI. I have the Osmo Mobile 1 and it is an amazing stabilizer for my iPhone. Not a single bobbling step is seen.

Dale
Miami
Screen Shot 2020-12-28 at 12.25.23 PM.png

Hey Karlewski, I appreciate the feedback. I checked out your video and you definitely are above my skill level when it comes to technical climbing (You remind me a bit of the youtube channel Mediocre Amateurs). But I really dig it. I am into canyoneering, but I's have to work up to some of the ridgelines in your clips. I hear you on the narration front, although I appreciate the compliment I have to agree that narration is tricky. It's hard to balance how much talking should go into each vid. Colorado is awesome, so maybe we can hit up a hike sometime when I'm out there. Your channel is looking really solid for starting only 8 months ago. Keep it up.

Hi Nate,
your video is interesting to watch because of the different ground-based shots! You have a good mix of aerial drone shots and the ground based ones! One Tipp: when you walk with the camera try to avoid the up and down movement as for example from 1.58 to 1.05 You have to walk like a cat when she is stalking her prey. It´s only a matter of exercise, try it. It looks way better than the up and down shots! Only my two cents ?
BTW, I enjoyed to watch your video sitting here in my warm editing room ??
cheers Paul
I always appreciate the input Paul. Thanks for spending some time to provide some feedback. I agree about the shaky camera situation. I will need to focus on this in the future. I currently have some footage already saved from some other hikes, which I won't be able to improve, but I like your tip for when I capture my next hike.

P.s. I always wonder why you sign your posts, but your user name is Jack. Is there a story behind this?

Your hand held videos showing the walking steps is not natural. You need a gimbal. I would recommend this one from DJI. I have the Osmo Mobile 1 and it is an amazing stabilizer for my iPhone. Not a single bobbling step is seen.

Dale
Miami
Thanks for the feedback Dale. I'll look into a gimbal. I have been hesitant to get one in the past because it adds an extra step to capturing quick shots, but it might be worth it for smoother footage.

Great job! Your opening graphics are perfect and over drone video, as they should be. You do have a very real, easy to listen to, narrating style. In fact, it all goes together to make your videos look professional but not too slick. Here are a couple of suggestions: Yes, watch the up & down movement of the ground level camera. Follow Jack43's advice. If there isn't as blizzard put in more aerials, they do look great. Once in awhile trying flying by some trees, close. Passing any object closely to then reveal a beautiful, wide scenic shot gives the video perspective. Trying some circling shots too of interesting areas. You might try to tracking function showing you and your colleague hiking. If the drone will keep locked on you, it will give the view a good idea of where you're hiking but you'll have to get good altitude so you don't hit trees. Keep at it. I love watching it all!
I appreciate the feedback Dave. I agree with what was said about the shaky ground footage. I might look into a gimbal to resolve that issue. I like the idea of using some of the tracking features to capture aerial shots of us hiking in action. I also like the suggestion of getting closer to objects to provide a more revealing effect. I will have to give this a go. It's probably a good time to push my limits a bit.

Thanks for the feedback Dale. I'll look into a gimbal. I have been hesitant to get one in the past because it adds an extra step to capturing quick shots, but it might be worth it for smoother footage.
The newest DJI Osmo Action gimbal collapses well into a back pack and works well with the iPhone. It has the most amazing stabilization. Watch some You Tube videos on it. You can be in a car on a bumpy road or running, and the video will still look smooth. It is amazing. Although the DJI Osmo Action (like a Go Pro) had great stabilization too, it is too wide angle for me.

I find I can consistently get better shots with my I phone doing the ninja walk vs my G85 micro four thirds camera, way to shaky, ruins the sharpness of the shot too, or my go pro due to the funky distortion, especially when panning vertically and bending the horizon or horizontally bending trees.
I'm super tempted by the Osmo, but for me I'm not sure the weight and hassle would be worth it, I may get one just for base camp use, they are quite affordable. Really, I think the best solution to much walking and shooting is either short shots where footing is very friendly preferably with a gimbal or capture the scene as a third person view with a tripod. I built a small tripod/selfie stick combo for these shots so I can quickly deploy it, sticking the stick in a hole or putting rocks on the tripod legs, it never really stands well by itself. Ulanzi makes a decent selfie/tripod that got me going this direction . . . .

I find I can consistently get better shots with my I phone doing the ninja walk vs my G85 micro four thirds camera, way to shaky, ruins the sharpness of the shot too, or my go pro due to the funky distortion, especially when panning vertically and bending the horizon or horizontally bending trees.
I'm super tempted by the Osmo, but for me I'm not sure the weight and hassle would be worth it, I may get one just for base camp use, they are quite affordable. Really, I think the best solution to much walking and shooting is either short shots where footing is very friendly preferably with a gimbal or capture the scene as a third person view with a tripod. I built a small tripod/selfie stick combo for these shots so I can quickly deploy it, sticking the stick in a hole or putting rocks on the tripod legs, it never really stands well by itself. Ulanzi makes a decent selfie/tripod that got me going this direction . . . .
Karlewski:

YOU...of all people on this forum, NEED a gimbal! See if you can rent one from Lens Pro to Go or Lensrental (I use both companies). They frequently run sales- like Christmas ,etc. The Osmo Mobile) is super inexpensive and they are AMAZING at damping and removing bounce steps, bumpy roads through the car window, etc. I think I have even seen them on e-bay. I tried to sell my old Osmo Mobile (non collapsible) on e-bay but I had a problem with the buyer (that is another story altogether!). The buyer was not bright enough to figure out how to pair the Osmo Mobile with his iPhone app. I had to return the $ and pay the return shipping too!

I just looked on e-bay and they are going from $21.00 to $149.00 depending on if it is an Osmo Mobile 2 or 3.

Dale
Miami

Another example of one of my hiking videos that just using drone shots in a montage at the end.
Wow! Loved this video! I live in the mountains of Colorado and can appreciate how quick you can lose a trail if you're not paying attention, or how quick the weather can change. Great video and want to watch it again!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dseyna