DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal Cover ... Never forget to remove it again.

I typically remember to remove the gimbal lock but if I don't I get the 'overload' error and then remove it. I've had the drone a long time and have never had an issue with the motor failing.

Reactions: mlash
here is my solution to this little inconvenience :)
Did it with Velcron so no harm done to the cover and most important highly visible with the orange string when you are in the field or something
Great idea for a key chain tag I got from Heli-Expo .. 20180707_101503.jpeg20180707_101358.jpeg

You guys WAY over think the issue. All it takes is a 5 cent mailing label stuck to the gimbal cover flap. You can't turn on the battery if its there and you can't install a battery if its not there.

Shame on DJI for not extending the the end of the plastic gimbal cover past the battery button. Maybe they want the repair business LOL. IMG_3931.jpg IMG_3932.jpg

Reactions: martinbanshee
I think it should says “ Remove before powering on” Thats because when you are power on you drone . Camera go through a few sequences of orienting itself with a few movements.(I don’t know about Mavic Air, i know my MP will do so) if the cap lock is not remove when powering your drone. That could cause the camera Gimbal overload that will means spending $ to replace whole camera unit.

I was exactly going to say the same thing as i was reading from the beginning of the thread and noticed everyone pasting BEFORE FLIGHT. But it should say BEFORE POWERING ON because the moment you switch it on it does the gimbal initializing maneuver and you can hear it clicking against the safety cap. Irritating thing. In fact the right place to tag this is on the battery button saying "remove gimbal cap" maybe using a silver marker or a sticker.

There could have been some small sensor to alert or beep so the user can remove the cap and then it should do the initialization. I dont think they even need a sensor. They can do it in software, probably should do it in the forthcoming firmware update. The camera needs to just look and identify if everything is blurred and make a warning sound. That's all. There might be very rare exceptions where the warning may go off due to other reasons (extreme fog, which anyway is also worthy of the warning) but 99% this will work. If the camera can make out sharp lines in the video then it knows the gimbal cap is removed. Then it can do the initializing movements.

Got some bright yellow stickers on mine [emoji4]20180716_194247.jpeg20180716_194310.jpeg

Reactions: DesJardins
Don't think I've ever forgotten before powering it on, but there was once or twice it was a close thing, rather safe than sorry, with the bright yellow I never forget now :)

Before flight I'm 100% but when powering on to download video via USB I've almost forgotten a few times. Never have forgotten yet.. But let's not risk it

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mandeh