DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal Cover removal to download video

spamgnome

Reactions
My routine is to go fly, come home, and then download photos / videos to my PC. I do this by plugging in the cord to the MA's rear port (hehe) versus removing the SD card. So here's the question, should I be removing the gimbal cover when I do this? Is there harm in simply leaving it on?

Are you powering on the drone? If so, I would if it was me. Better safe than sorry.

I have also added a little piece of tape with orange duct tape in it to my address card. Easier to get in and out and if I ever drop it in grass, it's easier to find.
5ea3679a3868607cf878215b195aebf2.jpg

Yeah, one has to power on in order for the USB Port (i.e., Drone) to be seen by my PC. Like the tape idea!

Reactions: eski2002
If you ever turn on the drone or plug it in, do everything you would to get it ready for flight (remove gimbal cover, unfold legs) - can't go wrong that way.

Reactions: mereflyer
Reactions: NAVMAV and WYN Air
This seems to be a real design failure on the part of DJI, about the only thing I can complain about on my air. The SD card is a pain to get out (though the tape idea isn't bad, but I assume that means leaving the cover open), and the other option is to open the arms (I did it without doing that one time and the prop movement appeared to put more stress on the props and motors than I'd like) and remove the gimbal cover (granted, not a huge hassle, but I'd rather not open/close any more than I have to). Plus it seems to get fairly hot when I power up and do a large transfer. I'm sure the engineering issues are more complex than I could understand, but it seems like a "data" mode for transfer without a full power-up would be doable. Or just make the SD card easier to remove.

Reactions: eski2002
Do you unfold the arms when you power up or just remove gimbal cover?
I always remove the gimbal cover but I haven't been unfolding the legs recently as the little twitching is really just that, a tiny little twitch with little force behind it. I'm by no means an expert but I think it's probably fine to leave the legs folded. I do hold it during that little twitch sequence so it's not sitting on the bottom props while it boots up.

Personally I always unfold the arms, then I turn the aircraft upside down and remove the gimbal cover. Then I sit my M2P on the surface of wherever I am prior to booting up the aircraft.
By doing that I avoid the gimbal from getting caught on anything during the power up as it is rotating and doing its thing!! ;)

I always remove the gimbal cover but I haven't been unfolding the legs recently as the little twitching is really just that, a tiny little twitch with little force behind it
Right, that little twitching isn't going to hurt anything. That small movement is just the motors vibrating to make the startup sound.

This seems to be a real design failure on the part of DJI, about the only thing I can complain about on my air. The SD card is a pain to get out (though the tape idea isn't bad, but I assume that means leaving the cover open), and the other option is to open the arms (I did it without doing that one time and the prop movement appeared to put more stress on the props and motors than I'd like) and remove the gimbal cover (granted, not a huge hassle, but I'd rather not open/close any more than I have to). Plus it seems to get fairly hot when I power up and do a large transfer. I'm sure the engineering issues are more complex than I could understand, but it seems like a "data" mode for transfer without a full power-up would be doable. Or just make the SD card easier to remove.
Tape just folds into shape when I snap the door closed. No issue at all. It is only scotch tape on the SD card and a piece of bright duct tape in the end fold.

Reactions: NAVMAV and Maviac
Right, that little twitching isn't going to hurt anything. That small movement is just the motors vibrating to make the startup sound.
You're probably right, but the one time I didn't unfold the prop turned all the way over the top of the drone and it seemed to put a lot of stress on the shaft and bent the prop up. Also, having not unfolded the legs I got a gimbal malfunction error (I had removed the cover, but the surface of my desk kept it from turning down in its system check or whatever) so I ended up having to put it on its side. Really, there should be an easier way.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JReynolds078