DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal Guard

I am not familiar with this guard, but just judging from the images shown here, It seems the bottom is unprotected. I use the one that came with the drone and after figuring out how to put the durrn' thing on, it has worked very well and I like that it has complete protection completely around the camera.

Reactions: dozzn
I am not familiar with this guard, but just judging from the images shown here, It seems the bottom is unprotected. I use the one that came with the drone and after figuring out how to put the durrn' thing on, it has worked very well and I like that it has complete protection completely around the camera.
those are sun shade hoods. to shield the camera from sun glare

Reactions: Reid937 and dozzn
Mine arrived last week but have not attached yet, it’s advertised at 4 grams so should not put you overweight if that all you add, i plan on using it as a semi permanent attachment , may mount the Red,green lights from firehouse duo to it if they fit well….. I see it as a gimbal protector vs sunshade, just a little extra protection for such a precarious part seems worth it to me…. Btw I went with the pyg version as pictured above, it does not have the extended legs like the other on Amazon… probably a couple of grams lighter

I have the PGY version. The problem is that it must be removed each time in order to put the gimbal guard back on. It broke after a few weeks so I epoxied it back. I don’t use it much because of the extra time and work. If a particular shot demands it, I’ll put it on. It does add a bit more shading from direct sun. It only weighs a few grams and won’t exceed the 250g limit. It’s just a sun shade, but it offers some lens protection I suppose. An nd filter offers real protection.

Reactions: Artemis
I have the PGY version. The problem is that it must be removed each time in order to put the gimbal guard back on. It broke after a few weeks so I epoxied it back. I don’t use it much because of the extra time and work. If a particular shot demands it, I’ll put it on. It does add a bit more shading from direct sun. It only weighs a few grams and won’t exceed the 250g limit. It’s just a sun shade, but it offers some lens protection I suppose. An nd filter offers real protection.
I have a Sony hard case that should protect the mini2 well so was just planning on not using the gimbal cover at all, so I’ll probably leave the sunshade on, it should last with minimal removal

@Artemis the idea of the gimbal guard is that it immobilises the camera and gimbal when the drone is being transported ,the sun shield that is being talked about in this thread ,does not do that, so it will allow the camera and gimbal to move during transport , which could result in possible damage, to the flat cable that powers it

Reactions: Oman
RIght, that was my assumption as well, but would not consider it a "gimbal guard".
Right. But, it does offer some additional protection to the camera/gimbal. So, some people use it for that purpose as well.

Not to be a trouble maker, but... if the one you use weighs a 'few grams' and the drone already weighs 249g (as shown in the picture), I think it would exceed 250g.

Reactions: orionshooter
The Mini 2 in reality weigh 238-242 Grams. Mine is 238. You should be fine.

Not to be a trouble maker, but... if the one you use weighs a 'few grams' and the drone already weighs 249g (as shown in the picture), I think it would exceed 250g.
No trouble atall. DJI badged the Mini at 249g to let buyers know that it falls under the weight limit for mandatory FAA registration (USA). Mine weighs 238.7g which gives me about 11 grams to play with before having to register. So, with the sunshade and an ND filter I’m still under the 250g limit. FAA rules change from time to time, so all of this may become moot in coming months/years.

And to @Atermis‘s point. I always transport my drone with the gimbal cover on.

@Artemis the idea of the gimbal guard is that it immobilises the camera and gimbal when the drone is being transported ,the sun shield that is being talked about in this thread ,does not do that, so it will allow the camera and gimbal to move during transport , which could result in possible damage, to the flat cable that powers it
So alternatives, perhaps some tissue to keep it stationary? The point is the sunshade is somewhat fragile, I won’t be removing it between flights. I have a hard case with dividers so I can put it in nose first in a secure fashion but if gimbal movement is really a concern for damage then I probably need a better plan to immobilize it

I would like to recommend using the gimbal guard that came with the drone when the drone is not in use.
It won’t fit with other part installed so that’s why I’m figuring out a safe alternative, shouldn’t be hard to devise something to slip on before it goes back in case

@Artemis ,i have the sun shields for both my MPP and MM ,the one for my MPP has been in use since October 2018 ,and the MM since November2019,i do not leave them on the drones ,and they have never suffered any damage during that time, when in use they do help with sun flare and to a small extent give the gimbal and camera some protection, the one on the MPP ,also directs cooling air into the drone through the vent behind the camera when flying forwards, and really because they are so cheap to buy ,if they do get damaged ,its not a problem

If I were PGY or a company making shades, I would include a modified gimbal guard so that the shade could be left on and still have gimbal protection during transport. This would allow me to leave the shade on, saving time both pre and post flight. Better would be for drone makers to design in a shade in the first place. As ole man mavic points out, a shade can funnel cool air to where it’s needed.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661