DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal jumps

WooZie

Reactions
Hello everybody, today was a beautiful day for flying, so, i took my MM and go out. I had a calm flight, no wind, no mist and the MM was very stable and promptly on the commands. I flew a maximum distance about 2560 m in EU, i am surprised for that because maximum is only 2000. My problem is the gimbal, when i watched the movies, i saw few jumps of the gimbal....some of them were in full speed, so i thought that was the reason, but some don't. I will post them here to see what am talking about. If you have some ideas, please don't keep for you. Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191222-141035.jpg
    Screenshot_20191222-141035.jpg
    495.3 KB · Views: 21
Reactions: netsonic
Hello everybody, today was a beautiful day for flying, so, i took my MM and go out. I had a calm flight, no wind, no mist and the MM was very stable and promptly on the commands. I flew a maximum distance about 2560 m in EU, i am surprised for that because maximum is only 2000. My problem is the gimbal, when i watched the movies, i saw few jumps of the gimbal....some of them were in full speed, so i thought that was the reason, but some don't. I will post them here to see what am talking about. If you have some ideas, please don't keep for you. Thanks
@WooZie hi there during your flight were you able to see the MM all the time,i only ask because at 2560m distance, no matter where you were you would not be able to see it my friend where did you get this number from it sounds to me like total flight distance

Reactions: WooZie
:))) Hi Omm no, is not the total distance, i know i have to fly only vlos, but.... i was wrong i know, but i was in the fields, so i said....what could be wrong here, calm weather, so go on, i can post the log without problem, but the main issue is the gimbal jumps :)

:))) Hi Omm no, is not the total distance, i know i have to fly only vlos, but.... i was wrong i know, but i was in the fields, so i said....what could be wrong here, calm weather, so go on, i can post the log without problem, but the main issue is the gimbal jumps :)
well if it did fly that far what could have gone wrong is you could have lost your drone for a start and you could have been in a lot of trouble if it had been brought down by a bird, or had collided with something tall like a mast that you were unable to see and then landed on a person and injured them in the process,i am not the drone police ,but your actions reflect on the rest of us when we get more and more flight restrictions

you are absolutely right, i was a bad guy today, i promiss not to be in the future, especially for what happened to me a month ago, remember :), so again i told you i was on the fields as you can see, only birds and nothing rest. Thank you for your advice, i read all has been written here and i learn a lot. For the gimbal jumps any idea please?

Reactions: old man mavic
you are absolutely right, i was a bad guy today, i promiss not to be in the future, especially for what happened to me a month ago, remember :), so again i told you i was on the fields as you can see, only birds and nothing rest. Thank you for your advice, i read all has been written here and i learn a lot. For the gimbal jumps any idea please?
could be many things when you were doing your epic flight, were you adjusting the gimbal, you can alter how fast the gimbal moves when you move the thumb wheel,also you can set how quick it stops as well, this adjustment helps smooth out these actions, flying in sports mode will make it jump if you let go of the sticks abruptly, as will yawing violently, what you have to remember is the modern radio control is called digital proportional control, which means the amount of input you give to the RC sticks the receiver gives the same movement in the drone this means that if you move the stick fully one way, say throttle then the drone goes full speed as well,this applies to all movements ,so you need to learn to use gentle stick control to be able to fly smoothly ,Tripod mode on my MPP does just that ,and slows everything down in relation to stick movement and drone movement on the MM they achieve something similar with C mode

Reactions: WooZie
i know that when the issue appears because of the speed, but i put them away all of them(those on the full speed), i only speak about these which were in a slow speed
the gimbal movement is set smooth 10 and speed 15, when i move it is slowly and smooth stop, but when it jumps itself, it is not smooth

This is probably due to the gimbal angle limitation ... once the attitude angle of the drone becomes greater then the max gimbal angle the focus point will jump down & will not recover again. This occurs during full throttle forward as then the attitude angle increases ... or also even in slow speed forward if the drone already are fighting a head wind. Seeing this with my Mavic Air also, but only in Sport mode full right stick forward ...

2019-12-23_01-45-29.jpg

This is probably due to the gimbal angle limitation
I guess this explanation makes sense. I too am seeing this but only when I change to Sport mode and make the first transition to full throttle. Never happens in P mode - but then again I haven't flown in any strong wind. Or others seeing this too?

Reactions: Guarf and WooZie
i eliminated from the beggining this condition "strong wind", yesterday it was a calm day no wind at all, nothing, but indeed, i always was in sport mode

I guess this explanation makes sense. I too am seeing this but only when I change to Sport mode and make the first transition to full throttle. Never happens in P mode - but then again I haven't flown in any strong wind. Or others seeing this too?

In below picture it's perhaps easier to understand what's happening ... Even though P & C mode should avoid focal point drops due to the matching angles it still can happen if the drone is bounced around in the wind, this should be much more rare though.

2019-12-23_11-31-29.jpg

very good explanation, thank you, so it is not a defective drone or gimbal, i always was in sport, but without wind...anyway i will try if the weather allows, in P or C, thanks again

So is this movement normal? does it happen to everyone? Only after 4 hours of flight did I realize this behavior and thought it was broken.

Thanks.

I think that by software they could avoid that jump in the gimball, returning slowly to the same elevation.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
devilsown