DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal off centre?

Drones.n.Pixels

Reactions
Site
www.dronesandpixels.co.za
I had some issues with keeping direction. I thought it was wind (it may still be), but then I started examining the gimbal. And I found that when my Mavic is positioned on a straight line (line right in the centre, between feet and the feet aligned to another line positioned at right angle to the first line) the photo taken shows that the line is angled to the left (see photo). Is this how Mavics are constructed, or is the gimbal off centre? screen_e0d801f543a3e848_1570808564000.jpg
To me, the lines marked green and red on the photo should cross in one point, which is centre of the photo.

It could be the legs are not perfectly where you believe them to be. They don't need to be in order to fly properly.

But assuming the line from leg to leg is perfectly perpendicular to the line of the body, you could try doing a gimbal calibration.

In any case, the system wasn't designed for micrometer tolerances. You'll realize that when you notice your view of the horizon is never perfectly level.

Reactions: Drones.n.Pixels
the gmbal has no direct contact with the body of the drone, it is suspended on 4 rubber rings to stop camera vibration, check that none of them have become detached or stretched place the mave on a perfectly flat surface, do a gimbal calibration then without switching it off or moving it in any way, observe if the camera is pointing straight ahead if it is then all is well it will move slightly during flight this is quite normal also sudden sharp yaw movements can cause it to appear off center on the screen

Last edited:
It could be the legs are not perfectly where you believe them to be. They don't need to be in order to fly properly.

But assuming the line from leg to leg is perfectly perpendicular to the line of the body, you could try doing a gimbal calibration.

In any case, the system wasn't designed for micrometer tolerances. You'll realize that when you notice your view of the horizon is never perfectly level.

I did gimbal calibration when I saw this and it didn't help. But I suppose that this could be design rather than defect.

the gmbal has no direct contact with the body of the drone, it is suspended on 4 rubber rings to stop camera vibration, check that none of them have become detached or stretched place the mave on a perfectly flat surface, do a gimbal calibration then without switching it off or moving it in any way, observe if the camera is pointing straight ahead if it is then all is well it will move slightly during flight this is quite normal also sudden sharp yaw movements can cause it to appear off center on the screen

Is there a way to adjust it with software? Or can this only be done mechanically? Gimbal calibration did not help - but again, maybe this is not an issue at all when flying, it just appears odd.

Also consider your reference points. You used the rear legs as your reference assuming it was perfectly perpendicular to the body centerline. There's a good chance they are not and there's no reason they have to be. For one thing the arms are not rigidly attached to the body.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronewithdeshaun