DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal Overload

Lottc34

Reactions
I have had some close calls with bird strikes on my Mavic 2 Pro. New Years Eve I didn’t have good luck. The bird didn’t grab my drone, but he collided with a propeller on the front and caused it to take a nosedive. My drone at this time was maybe 6-8 feet off the ground. Unfortunately, it landed on concrete gimbal first. It broke the lens cover and a couple light scrapes but nothing other than that. I have been getting the gimbal obstruction alert and saying the gimbal is restarting. I have knowledge on phone, tablet, and computer repair so I disassembled the drone and removed the gimbal. I inspected the ribbon and showed no signs of damage. I restored to factory settings and reinstalled software and updated it. Nothing. I had one successful time that the gimbal had no obstruction then back to the warning the next time I powered it on. I have ordered a replacement ribbon to try and if that doesn’t work I will send it in for repairs. I just don’t want to go without my drone for a month since I use it for side gigs. Wondering if there is a solution for it.
726e1fd3fe2d54afc02a121372f39f88.jpg
24eeb7d4312487741e5bb2ea1a2202c7.jpg

It was the original Mavic Pro that often had faults with its "ribbon cable" - the flat-flex PCB cable that ran through the gimbal and controlled the motors.

The Mavic 2 is a totally different design and I've only seen this particular cable damaged on one occasion, in which the camera was totally smashed and hanging off the aircraft. If the cable that's pictured has no signs of damage to the connectors or any tears in the cable, it likely won't be that.

The gimbal on the Mavic 2 has a different type of cable that both controls the gimbal pitch and roll motors and carries the camera sensor data. These cables are very fragile - in fact the wires are so thin that they are stripped with a laser!

Basically, if that cable is damaged, it probably means that the roll arm or something on the gimbal is bent, in which case there's not much you can do. Mavic 2 gimbals are a lot more tricky to open and work on than the original Mavic, and the whole thing is academic anyway because no one is selling parts for Mavic 2 gimbals (except the cables).

You'd be best off buying a new gimbal IMO.

It was the original Mavic Pro that often had faults with its "ribbon cable" - the flat-flex PCB cable that ran through the gimbal and controlled the motors.

The Mavic 2 is a totally different design and I've only seen this particular cable damaged on one occasion, in which the camera was totally smashed and hanging off the aircraft. If the cable that's pictured has no signs of damage to the connectors or any tears in the cable, it likely won't be that.

The gimbal on the Mavic 2 has a different type of cable that both controls the gimbal pitch and roll motors and carries the camera sensor data. These cables are very fragile - in fact the wires are so thin that they are stripped with a laser!

Basically, if that cable is damaged, it probably means that the roll arm or something on the gimbal is bent, in which case there's not much you can do. Mavic 2 gimbals are a lot more tricky to open and work on than the original Mavic, and the whole thing is academic anyway because no one is selling parts for Mavic 2 gimbals (except the cables).

You'd be best off buying a new gimbal IMO.

Not such a good idea to throw the baby out with the bathwater. Why buy a whole new gimbal when a person can buy parts to repair an existing one, or let me repair just whats broken?

Repairing a damaged gimbal will 100% of the time be cheaper than buying a whole new one.

The only people who cant repair gimbals are authorized DJI service centers. They can only replace the damaged unit.

Reactions: Canuk and Lottc34
Not such a good idea to throw the baby out with the bathwater. Why buy a whole new gimbal when a person can buy parts to repair an existing one, or let me repair just whats broken?

Repairing a damaged gimbal will 100% of the time be cheaper than buying a whole new one.

The only people who cant repair gimbals are authorized DJI service centers. They can only replace the damaged unit.

Do you have an estimated range for repairs on gimbals? You can message me directly if you want. I have the coverage for repairs with DJI. I just don’t want it to take a month to get it back. Just got my new case and filters and all for Christmas of course. Lmao. But I want to get it done right. Not cause a new issue by trying to fix this one.

Of course, gimbals should always be repaired when possible. But my point is that M2 gimbals often aren't repairable due to the lack of available parts.

Reactions: Lottc34
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
erhard