DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal reset in flight

It is a cool place just behind my parent's house. It is an old quarry lake that is split in two by a walking path. In the summer one side is a bright green and the other is deep blue. Just outside Winnipeg.

Yeah. It was really annoying. I did an online chat with support and they suggested refreshing firmware (only thru Assistant since updating in Go App was somehow different) to latest, calibrate IMU and then gimbal. It did not work of course. So I sent it back.

Next day, support finally responded to an earlier email with the exact same suggestions with one additional step - reset camera. Maybe? @nicodamus maybe you could try the camera reset. Too late for me but if it works we can save others a big repair hassle.

Also, my unit was build Mar 7 according to SN decoder. When was yours built?

How do you reset the camera? My mavic was manufactured on 10 January 2017.

Can DJI actually fix this issue? Has anyone had it resolved by DJI?

Not sure you can other than powering up the drone. You can re-calibrate the gimbal via the GO app.

Maybe they meant to reset the camera settings? That's the only reset camera option I've seen in the app. I'm disconnected now of course, so maybe there is another button available when connected?

Ah, man - I'm happy to have found this thread, though admittedly I wish it also contained a solid solution for this issue :) DJI is worthless if you come to them with this one (or really anything based on my experiences with support)...

I experienced what appears to be Gimbal Calibration midflight on my first flight - and I've experienced it just about every flight since. The first time, it seemed to last for ~30s or so - during which time my feed completely cut out... Needless to say, I just about had to change my undies... I immediately turned to DJI for assistance, and after what seemed like a stupid high-level round of troubleshooting, they determined that I needed to send my brand new Mavic in for repairs... I requested a replacement, citing the fact that this was defective out of the box - of course they declined and replaced the camera/gimbal assembly, which of course took a month...

As you can likely guess, the issue still exists - manifested first flight after getting it back from warranty repair.. I again posted my issue in the DJI forums - and again DJI has asked that I send it in for repair... Now, after seeing how widespread this is, I am reluctant to part with my Mavic for yet another month as I highly doubt that DJI will actually repair this problem - and when dealing with DJI repairs, you're just as likely to get your Mavic back with a new issue after repair than you are anything resembling an actual fix, so (mine was returned scuffed up, covered in grease smudges and the box was damaged)...

I had to fight to get a return label, since they seem to like to drag out every step as long as possible (I mean, seriously - name one other company that takes 48hrs to issue a shipping label) - which arrived yesterday, after ~49hrs. Now I am thinking that I may not use it - going to do some testing this weekend with FW downgrades, different SD cards and the sort...

Ah, man - I'm happy to have found this thread, though admittedly I wish it also contained a solid solution for this issue :) DJI is worthless if you come to them with this one (or really anything based on my experiences with support)...

I experienced what appears to be Gimbal Calibration midflight on my first flight - and I've experienced it just about every flight since. The first time, it seemed to last for ~30s or so - during which time my feed completely cut out... Needless to say, I just about had to change my undies... I immediately turned to DJI for assistance, and after what seemed like a stupid high-level round of troubleshooting, they determined that I needed to send my brand new Mavic in for repairs... I requested a replacement, citing the fact that this was defective out of the box - of course they declined and replaced the camera/gimbal assembly, which of course took a month...

As you can likely guess, the issue still exists - manifested first flight after getting it back from warranty repair.. I again posted my issue in the DJI forums - and again DJI has asked that I send it in for repair... Now, after seeing how widespread this is, I am reluctant to part with my Mavic for yet another month as I highly doubt that DJI will actually repair this problem - and when dealing with DJI repairs, you're just as likely to get your Mavic back with a new issue after repair than you are anything resembling an actual fix, so (mine was returned scuffed up, covered in grease smudges and the box was damaged)...

I had to fight to get a return label, since they seem to like to drag out every step as long as possible (I mean, seriously - name one other company that takes 48hrs to issue a shipping label) - which arrived yesterday, after ~49hrs. Now I am thinking that I may not use it - going to do some testing this weekend with FW downgrades, different SD cards and the sort...

Oh lovely. I just sent mine back and your experience fills me with confidence in the outcome. Maybe I should update my case with a reference to this thread. Maybe they will look a little harder. I also took pics of my Mavic before boxing it up. It was in perfect shape. If it comes back worse off... not sure what I can do. Reminds me of the line from Mulan "No matter how the wind howls, the mountain cannot bow to it"

Oh lovely. I just sent mine back and your experience fills me with confidence in the outcome. Maybe I should update my case with a reference to this thread. Maybe they will look a little harder. I also took pics of my Mavic before boxing it up. It was in perfect shape. If it comes back worse off... not sure what I can do. Reminds me of the line from Mulan "No matter how the wind howls, the mountain cannot bow to it"

Haha.. Sorry about inducing the anxiety... And I wish that I could reassure you that everything will be 100% fine, but... who can really say on these things (that's the best that I can do to reassure :) ).

I've owned a Parrot and Phantom 3 Pro - never had a single problem out of them that I didn't cause... I'd read horror stories about dealing with support, but because I'd never experienced an issue one, I found it difficult to believe/relate to the stories...

Unfortunately, I became very well aware of DJI's deficiencies in support day 1 of ownership of my Mavic - it's like they're perfecting the art of "providing optimally bad support". Don't get me wrong - call in and you will be presented with a cheerful and friendly agent... But their friendliness unfortunately doesn't correspond to actual helpfulness or anything of the sort - just constantly reassuring you that they are going to do something in X hrs, and then not doing it. Call back in - rinse, repeat. Basically, it seems that they will do things when they get around to doing them...

If there's a little insight that I can provide based on my experiences so far, it's the following... Throw their timelines out the window - I determined you were best to multiply the windows they provide together to get a more accurate estimate (i.e. If they say 2 - 3 days, then it's 2X3=6.. If they say 3-4, it's 12... etc... Not joking here - this is way more accurate than the range they provide.. Just read in THEIR forums and you will see lot of unhappy people asking wtf). If they tell you "I'm going to make note to expedite this", go ahead and plan on them delaying it the additional time that would have been gained by the expedite (i.e. If they say they are going to give you an expedited shipping label (because their default UPS is like 1 week instead of the 2-3 days you're likely accustomed to out of UPS), then they're going to delay sending out the label for 2-3 days and so the reduction from 7 day shipping to 2 day shipping is about a wash). If they tell you that they will do something and then call you back, there's about a 10% chance that they will actually call you back. I've not found any of their points of contact to work better than any other - call, chat, forum, twitter are all about the same and all pretty much boil down to "say friendly and helpful seeming things - continue to handle it exactly as they already were". Prepare for them to act as if they are doing you a favor by covering the costs of the warranty repair if you are to challenge the 'fairness' of any of their proposed solutions - and for them to let you know that regardless of fairness, their policy concerning ownership and their limited obligations to you as an owner (doing as they wish, at their discretion) is stated on their website.

In an effort to reduce your anxiety, I will urge you to not go to the Mavic section of the official forums and read others experiences - I will also urge you to not search Twitter for "DJISupport" and then to view the latest, as it will only fill you with additional anxiety and concern. I honestly don't know how DJI continues to get away with the kind of support they're providing... I will say that they've lost me as a rep, based solely on their support alone. I know for a fact that my showing my P3P off and recommending it as a solid quad resulted in 5 Pro sales in the last 2 years - I also know that 4 people messaged me on SD last week thanking me for sharing my experience there, indicating that they'd not be risking throwing their money away on a Mavic out of support concerns. Going forward, if approached about my recommendations on a quad/drone by folks, I'm going to essentially tell them "Go to Twitter and read the most recent interactions with DJISupport. Then go to the official Mavic forum and read experiences there. Those 2 places should give you and idea of what you're potentially in store for - and only you know your level of tolerance for such things."

GOOD LUCK! Hoping your experience makes me look like a negative nancy liar :)

I just experienced this as my first glitch ever in over 200+ miles, 100+ flights issue free. This was like 5 flights after the last & only firmware update ive done.

I too thought it was falling to the ground until the camera reset itself.

Now my camera slowly drifts to the left when over 50ft or so. Almost every time. And it seems my mavic flies with a slight leftward drift when i push forward on the stick. I did gimbal and compass calibrations and now it says my status is that i need to connect to pc or mac to calibrate my vision system.
I tried to download dji assistant on my mac but no luck. Having so many issuesi gave up before i broke my mac in fit of rage. Im a pc guy so i suck at macs and must be overlooking sumn obvious.

Anyway i need research this camera drifting slightly to left cuz i kno i read it in previous thread sumwhere

Hope i dont have to send it back

Oh ya fyi i got a compass redundancy error around the same time so that was actually the very first occurrence that caused me to calibrate the compass . Maybe a day later this gimbal error occurrd
So I guess I just had the same issue. I'm about 50 flights in. Today it recommended a compass calibration, and had to do it twice due to interference message. Tried an auto-takeoff from the back of my pickup truck (have done it before without incident). Takeoff failed as mavic bounced around the pickup bed for a moment. First physical incident. ****! No apparent damge, but I didn't see it happen so not sure how hard it hit. Anyway tookoff successfully from the ground after that taking video of a factory roof. Still flying at 20% battery but wasn't concerned as I was only 400 ft downrange. Tried to start a video; video start was rejected, image became blurry and titled, image blacked out a few times. Tried to manually return but mavic completely unresponsive. Camera pan unresponsive as well. Hit RTH on controller and mavic returned properly, although it was 20' off target on landing, and didn't ask me to confirm landing order, just landed. Very concerned. Threw in a fresh battery, re-calibrated compass, all telemetry was normal, did a medium distance down range test (1 mile) to test RTH. Everything worked perfectly and mavic returned to precise takeoff point. Still concerned though - going to Mexico in 4 weeks and don't want any issues. Anyone have thoughts? How to I revert to a previous firmware version?

Reactions: Flying Hun
Can DJI actually fix this issue? Has anyone had it resolved by DJI?
This is exactly what I want to know. I've been discussing this very issue on the DJI Forum and the consensus there was hardware issue, so I sent it in for repair (they replaced gimbal/camera assembly)... Now that it's still happening on my 'repaired' unit and now that I am finding so many others reporting it, I have my doubts...

It's been happening to me also for awhile now, the first time freaked me out too. But since I have gone through the horror that is know as useless DJI Carson Cali with my 5 week old P4P which is on it's way back and due next week I have ignored the gimbal reset. I am glad it's not just me and am sooooooo not looking forward to another round with this POS company called DJI!!! WTF is up with this big honking turd of a company???

Okay.. So I'm kinda nervous here... Not sure if I can trust them - not sure what the outcome will REALLY be... Fortunately, the last time I experienced the issue, I was livestreaming on FB, which captured it (and my tirade about DJI's support and how I was recommending people not give them any money)...

Well, I saved the video, trimmed the longer live stream video down to just the freakout (and my tirade, which was during the freakout) and uploaded it to YouTube - which I then tweeted out tagging DJISupport... Within ~60s, DJISupport replied asking me to DM them.... So I DM'd them - conversation ensued, where I explained my situation, and how I'd already had mine repaired only to have it come back with the issue still, and I shared my previous case numbers... The person manning their Twitter was very friendly (which, as stated, is pretty normal for DJI) and seemed to be determined to assist - indicating they were reaching out to supervisors directly to get me assistance...

About an hour after chatting with DJISupport, I got a call from a DJI supervisor, who reviewed everything with me, apologizing profusely... The agent then indicated that he was going to be personally overseeing my case going forward - touching base with the repair center and me regularly throughout the process. They've now requested that I send my unit back in via an expedited shipping label that they've provided - indicating that they will be replacing my defective Mavic with a new Mavic...

I know that I should be ecstatic - but I'm honestly nervous... So many questions... "Why helping now - I've been poking the hornets nest for over a month now", "Who is this supervisor - and can he really help me like he claims", "what will I do if they get it, fail to honor the supervisors promises, and things get worse" are just some of the things running through my head...

I'm sure that I will bite - I'd love nothing more to get a 100% functional Mavic (afterall, that's exactly what I paid for and they failed to deliver to me)... Will post back as things develop...

Reactions: rossmoney
Okay.. So I'm kinda nervous here... Not sure if I can trust them - not sure what the outcome will REALLY be... Fortunately, the last time I experienced the issue, I was livestreaming on FB, which captured it (and my tirade about DJI's support and how I was recommending people not give them any money)...

Well, I saved the video, trimmed the longer live stream video down to just the freakout (and my tirade, which was during the freakout) and uploaded it to YouTube - which I then tweeted out tagging DJISupport... Within ~60s, DJISupport replied asking me to DM them.... So I DM'd them - conversation ensued, where I explained my situation, and how I'd already had mine repaired only to have it come back with the issue still, and I shared my previous case numbers... The person manning their Twitter was very friendly (which, as stated, is pretty normal for DJI) and seemed to be determined to assist - indicating they were reaching out to supervisors directly to get me assistance...

About an hour after chatting with DJISupport, I got a call from a DJI supervisor, who reviewed everything with me, apologizing profusely... The agent then indicated that he was going to be personally overseeing my case going forward - touching base with the repair center and me regularly throughout the process. They've now requested that I send my unit back in via an expedited shipping label that they've provided - indicating that they will be replacing my defective Mavic with a new Mavic...

I know that I should be ecstatic - but I'm honestly nervous... So many questions... "Why helping now - I've been poking the hornets nest for over a month now", "Who is this supervisor - and can he really help me like he claims", "what will I do if they get it, fail to honor the supervisors promises, and things get worse" are just some of the things running through my head...

I'm sure that I will bite - I'd love nothing more to get a 100% functional Mavic (afterall, that's exactly what I paid for and they failed to deliver to me)... Will post back as things develop...

I sure hope it works out for you.... I had to hound them on chat and out of the blue I get a phone call from someone with DJI support, promises made that he would personally keep an eye on my case. Well it must have been his blind eye!!! He sent me a follow up email right after the phone... we'll cue the crickets and 3 weeks later with a dozen unanswered emails I get an email from the same BOZO saying he is so sorry for the slow response.... So I read you adventure and think.... well good luck. In my eyes DJI is a honking POS and now having a Mavic with issues after sending in my 5 week old P4P for a known internal GPS issue I am regretting jumping into this hobby with both feet and a now empty wallet!!!

I sure hope it works out for you.... I had to hound them on chat and out of the blue I get a phone call from someone with DJI support, promises made that he would personally keep an eye on my case. Well it must have been his blind eye!!! He sent me a follow up email right after the phone... we'll cue the crickets and 3 weeks later with a dozen unanswered emails I get an email from the same BOZO saying he is so sorry for the slow response.... So I read you adventure and think.... well good luck. In my eyes DJI is a honking POS and now having a Mavic with issues after sending in my 5 week old P4P for a known internal GPS issue I am regretting jumping into this hobby with both feet and a now empty wallet!!!

Yeah, I am really hoping that they do me right - though I am certainly not holding my breath, as I require air to live... Since sharing out on Youtube and Twitter, DJI has been in regular contact with me across various platforms (DMs on Twitter, comments on Youtube, following up on my open threads on their forums, phone calls, etc) - they've provided me with an expedited shipping label, and I've having had 2 'supervisors' call to tell me that they were going to ensure I was sent a new Mavic to replace the defective one they initially sent me...but again, not holding my breath... We shall see...

When I get back I will have the P4P delivered the next day from UPS. I will be interested to see if it's a new one or someones repaired POS!! Mine was 5 weeks old when I sent it in. This is what they told me in an email "Moving forward, your unit was replaced due to manufacturing malfunction." Then I will have to deal with them on the Mavic issue of the Gimbal freaking out every flight..... They sure know how to manufacture pieces of crap!!!

When I get back I will have the P4P delivered the next day from UPS. I will be interested to see if it's a new one or someones repaired POS!! Mine was 5 weeks old when I sent it in. This is what they told me in an email "Moving forward, your unit was replaced due to manufacturing malfunction." Then I will have to deal with them on the Mavic issue of the Gimbal freaking out every flight..... They sure know how to manufacture pieces of crap!!!

Ugh.. Yeah, that sucks... Before the Mavic, I was the happy owner of a P3P - which I still own and enjoy flying... I only got the Mavic because much like the P4, the P3 can be a bit of a beast to travel with - so I wanted something I could easily toss in my carryon or whatnot... Or so that was the plan a couple of months ago - already missed out on 2 trips due to these defects, which defeats the purpose... I never once had an issue out of the P3P - vs the 'nothing but issues' that I've had out of the Mavic.

Best of luck!

Hey guys we have something similar going on here:

Camera system resets mid-flight...?

DJI wants me to send it back but I still have 11 days to return it. Trying a bunch of stuff.
So I'm not sure if you saw another member gave me a fix. Apparently the .600 version of the firmware update may have a glitch - I reverted to an earlier version (.400) and everything is fine. Give it a shot -

So I'm not sure if you saw another member gave me a fix. Apparently the .600 version of the firmware update may have a glitch - I reverted to an earlier version (.400) and everything is fine. Give it a shot -
Appreciate that. Tried it, no difference what so ever

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Allen25