DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal reset in flight

Excellent. Brand new Mavic, already having cable degradation. This one was manufactured at the end of May too.
Well what I mean is, it may not be put together properly, a slight break in the connection may set off the reset.

I've returned a brand new Mavic because of this. Didn't matter what firmware, SD card, in the air, down on ground, it would eventually do it.

Even my current Mavic has done it a couple a times,but that I can live it. Not every flight.

Well what I mean is, it may not be put together properly, a slight break in the connection may set off the reset.

I've returned a brand new Mavic because of this. Didn't matter what firmware, SD card, in the air, down on ground, it would eventually do it.

Even my current Mavic has done it a couple a times,but that I can live it. Not every flight.

So would it not be worth to try and replace the ribbon cable that some have had success in replacing? Do we know if that would 100% resolve the issue?

So would it not be worth to try and replace the ribbon cable that some have had success in replacing? Do we know if that would 100% resolve the issue?
This is the thing, not [emoji817] sure still it's the cable, but after trying pretty much all options that we can change (firmwares / SD cards / doing calibrations / factory resets) it kind of only points to hardware and the cables. It's a shame you'd have to start tinkering with a new Mavic, but if you're confident in doing it, then it might be worth a try.

I've yet to hear about someone fixing it,but I'm sure someone has tried here, seeing that many people have this issue.

I've had this twice on consecutive flights.

I have since gone back to the SD card that came with the Mavic and I had no issue at all, going from an empty SD card to filling it.

I am going to keep an eye on it as I was flying far away with goggles so losing the video feed could be errr, stressful, in that scenario.

Its a " faulty recording cable " it only happens when im on a record mode. :(

Well I had this happened a few times in the past couple of days. So glad I found this thread, but sad that there is not definitive identified cause and fix (?). Scared the hell out of me when if happens, thought I lost communication and the first thing I look on the controller was to see if I have connection and it has. Then I saw the picture tilted to one side and slowing coming back to level, and the image seems to go white/bright/overexposed then it comes back. I wasn't sure what was going on but glad that the drone did not fall out of the sky when it happens. Later on, I figure out the gimbal/camera must have gone through a reset/re-initialise state. Scare as hell though when it happens, I have to keep watching the drone and the height display on the controller to make sure it's not falling. I will be keeping an eye on this threat to see if there is any development.

Last edited:
Had this happen to me on the 8th, the drone is 3 weeks old. I have recalibrated everything since the flight but not taken her out yet. Would you guys send it back to DJI?

Had this happen to me on the 8th, the drone is 3 weeks old. I have recalibrated everything since the flight but not taken her out yet. Would you guys send it back to DJI?

Still attempting to figure out why my MP does this, some say it is the APP, which means sending it back will do nothing. Some seem to point to ribbon cable which means DJI should repair it free.

If I had a product 3 weeks old I would chase down the place that sold it to me for a factory sealed box replacement. (Why would I "wait" for "repair" when the item should have worked correctly out of the box!!!!)

IF enough MP get exchanged for this issue DJI will be forced to fix it. (No clue why they have not corrected it yet, not enough "press coverage" that when you buy drone from them you are accepting they have "issues" I guess. . .)

I love the MP when it is working correctly! (But then it is my first Drone so I have nothing to compare.)

What other item would we buy for around $1000.00 and then just "put up with" it not working correctly. . . . .(Get the issues fix DJI!!!!!!!)

Have had my MP since April. Still on 700 fw but late July DJI snuck in an update to my Go 4 app. Ever since I have been getting weird things happen.
Had camera reset happened to me for the first time yesterday. I normally film in 2.7 but have been trying 4K lately and that's when it happened twice. Did it happen because of recording in 4K because that's what I have read on some other threads? Did it happen because of the updated Go 4 app?
My MP is flying fine and everything works and I'm glad I have read these post otherwise it would have really spooked me thinking it was dropping.
I'm going to go back to recording 2.7 and see what happens.

Reactions: Path Finder
I created a thread yesterday and posted this before being directed here.

'So I had my first flight today and noticed an exposure message when the gimbal turned up towards the sunlight. At first I didn't notice but then realised I was no longer recording as I was keeping an eye on the drone and not the screen. Whilst watching the screen I noticed the exposure message and the gimbal wobbles a bit and the video stops recording.

Is there a way to just continue recording? Could edit out the wobbles later.

Thanks'

Just read the whole of this thread, didn't think it's a big deal at first but seems like it is.

My problem seems to be when I turn the camera to sunlight for the first time, that's when the gimbal resets and the recording stops. Thought it may just been a one off but happened twice during first flight and once this morning. Think I noticed the drifting issue too :(

Been recording on 2.7k using the 16GB card that came with the drone.

Video - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

The drone came with .800 and I've downgraded to .700 - gimbal reset happened using both. Calibrated the gimbal before this mornings flight as well.

Can't believe so many people are getting this problem out of the box.

Reactions: Path Finder
Well if you have been recording in 2.7 the tosses out the fact it is a 4K issue. . . .(Agree why are we putting up with this, if anything else we buy had this many issues the stores would be full of returns)

Well if you have been recording in 2.7 the tosses out the fact it is a 4K issue. . . .(Agree why are we putting up with this, if anything else we buy had this many issues the stores would be full of returns)

The thing is though, as much as it upset me, I wasn't too bothered about it as I was looking forward to owning a mavic for a while now and was just excited to fly it. Now that I've read and found out that so many people are having this problem and it's a known issue it upsets me to have a 'faulty' drone straight out of the box AND there's nothing to solve the problem.

From the horror stories I've read, I can't be bothered to deal with DJIs customer service and send the drone off after only having it a few days only to receive someone else's refurbished drone with the same problem.

Such a shame.

Only had two flights so far so let's see how it goes...

We do need to remember must folks are willing to speak out when things go wrong, yet say nothing when things go correctly. (Wait, things are to go correctly, so why would we say anything when they go correctly. . . .;))

It still is a great little Drone, I have fun with it just want it to be what it should be!!!

Has anyone experienced a gimbal reset with the latest firmware from 9/19? I haven't... Yet. *crosses fingers*

I have flown about 10 batteries now in 2.7K and never had a glitch. Has to have something to do with 4K recording.
I got it sometimes when I was recording in 2k7 with firmware .900
But have never got it again from 01.03.1000 and next, and now I’m always recording in 4K. I would say, if that happen only when recording that should be a software issue ( there is no specific cable for recording, that makes no sense ).

I got it sometimes when I was recording in 2k7 with firmware .900
But have never got it again from 01.03.1000 and next, and now I’m always recording in 4K. I would say, if that happen only when recording that should be a software issue ( there is no specific cable for recording, that makes no sense ).

Seems to only happen to me when recording :(

The drone came with .800 and I've downgraded to .700 - gimbal reset happened using both. Calibrated the gimbal before this mornings flight as well.
Why don't you update to one of the latest two firmware? 3.100 or 4.000. They purportedly address the camera restart issue to some degree. Anecdotally there seem to be less resets being reported of late.
Seems to only happen to me when recording :(

As you mentioned the recording video or still images is nearly always occurring when the resets occur. I posted this breakldown a few months back Gimbal Resets - What we know so far Apart from the newer firmware possibly fixing it, not much has changed.

If you are concerned and want to avoid them, limit your 4k recording to less than 9 min and 2.7k to less than 9 min and to avoid the file split events. Quite a few resets have occurred then,

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
suretybondsa