DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal stuck at 5% Calibration. High Pitch Noise

bimmer7

Reactions
Today, I took the Mavic Pro for a flight. At the initial takeoff, the camera was leveled. Then the app crashed 30 seconds into flight. After restart and connected back with the camera while the Mavic was still in the air, I noticed the horizon was showing about 30-45 degree angled and shaking. I did an RTH. Upon closer inspection, the gimbal is making a very high pitch noise as if the motor is stuck. Before today, everything was working as normal.

No error message about he camera/gimbal from DJI Go. I recalibrated the IMU, Compass, and then tried the camera reset. It got stuck at 5% and locked up my phone repeatedly.

Has anyone had this experience and pinpoint the cause of the problem? I tried rolling back the RC and AC back to a previous firmware and the DJI Go was at 4.2.16. I also rolled it back to 4.2.12. No success. I can still control the camera to look up or down, but everything it looks up, it is tilted (horizon not leveled), and the gimbal makes a very high pitch constant sound. Also, the camera is hot to the touch too.

Your insight is greatly appreciated. I've replaced the gimbal ribbon once, but I hope it's not that issue again. Is it worth sending it back to DJI for warranty or am I better off trying to fix it myself?

I've replaced the gimbal ribbon once, but I hope it's not that issue again. Is it worth sending it back to DJI for warranty or am I better off trying to fix it myself?

Did you repair it yourself the first time? If so, you might have violated your warranty. If DJI repaired the first ribbon, and it's under warranty, I would send it in. That screeching noise represents either a damaged ribbon cable, or more likely damage to your gimbal motor assembly, and it could cause a short by allowing one or more of the gimbal motors to overheat. If the gimbal motor you mentioned is too hot to touch, I wouldnt fly it any more until it's fixed.

I replaced the ribbon myself due to damage. The camera and gimbal worked flawlessly for numerous operations after the ribbon replacement (3 months ago). I looked on ebay, and a the whole unit (motor and camera) can be bought for around $70. I know DJI will likely charge 3 times that amount.

Do you recommend to replace it with another ribbon (cheap troubleshoot but not blindfolding task), or just get a new motor assembly for $30 dollar plus cable? Does the high pitch means that the motor is going to fail quickly, the ribbon failed, or has the motor failed already? Thank you for your inputs.

just get a new motor assembly for $30 dollar plus cable?

You can try that next. Be careful where you buy it from. Some of them are copies and will not work. If you get one with a brown ribbon cable, it's might be bad. I have seen them before.

Does the high pitch means that the motor has failed already?

In most cases, yes.

Thank you for the advice. The Mavic finally gave a gimbal overload. It's back to repairing this thing again. This gimbal / motor / camera is too delicate for this drone. I hope the next version will be more durable.

I ended up buying a whole new gimbal assembly and sold the old gimbal and board for parts. I didn't have time to replace the ribbon, but that would have been the cheapest first step to troubleshoot. I did tested my old ribbon on a different gimbal motor, but that motor was bad to begin with. But if you see a lot of used gimbal on ebay for sale as new(other), it is a good sign that there are a lot of bad motors too.

I'm having the same problem, I lost link a couple of times and it looked like a bird had attacked the drone a couple of times - no visible damage though.

Sometimes the ribbon for the gimbal is broken inside and cannot be seen. Best thing is to buy a new unit (camera, gimbal, circuit board assembly) and sell the other parts. Otherwise, you will spend time troubleshooting the camera, ribbon, and board instead of flying and enjoying your drone. In my case, I just kept my board and just replaced the gimbal and camera assembly. Avoid buying used unless it can be return in case it does not work.

Reactions: WxMaster
I ended up buying a whole new gimbal assembly and sold the old gimbal and board for parts. I didn't have time to replace the ribbon, but that would have been the cheapest first step to troubleshoot. I did tested my old ribbon on a different gimbal motor, but that motor was bad to begin with. But if you see a lot of used gimbal on ebay for sale as new(other), it is a good sign that there are a lot of bad motors too.
Sometimes the ribbon for the gimbal is broken inside and cannot be seen. Best thing is to buy a new unit (camera, gimbal, circuit board assembly) and sell the other parts. Otherwise, you will spend time troubleshooting the camera, ribbon, and board instead of flying and enjoying your drone. In my case, I just kept my board and just replaced the gimbal and camera assembly. Avoid buying used unless it can be return in case it does not work.

I am actually going to a local shop to see if they can fix it. I'm sure it's gonna be a pretty penny but I'll be able to get my drone up that much quicker!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zzombie