DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimble jumps from 90 to 80 degrees...

Kyklopes

Reactions
I set the gimble to 90 degrees and take a photo. Fly forward and sometimes the gimble jumps to 80 degrees. Anyone else have that problem? A search found a similar issue with the Mini.

Reactions: Kdash
The mini gimbal is prone to that , so you jus have to move carefully and slowly as there really is no fix for that issue yet.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mini in the Rain and Land on the Water.

Reactions: Kyklopes and ehje
Does anyone know why it moves on it's own by 10 degrees? Is there a setting that can be used to lock it in position?

I'm flying in Cine mode. Take a pic then fly slowly forward for the next pic then stop and the gimble jumps. This makes taking a sequence of images to stitch together for a big overhead image more time consuming because the camera needs to be re-aimed for each pic.

Does anyone know why it moves on it's own by 10 degrees? Is there a setting that can be used to lock it in position?
It would be nice if there was a setting allowing us to disable the way the gimbal jumps like this.

I think DJI deliberately designed the gimbal to jump 10 degrees away from resting against the limit stops of its mechanical range of motion. The gimbal can mechanically rotate only so far. If you tilt the Mini further than those mechanical limits, nose up or nose down, the gimbal motors trying to stabilize the camera view would struggle trying to force the gimbal to rotate further than it is mechanically able to. Maybe that it is harmful to the gimbal motors?

So when the gimbal senses it has come up against the bump stops limiting it from rotating any further, it automatically jumps 10 degrees away from that limit stop so that the camera can be freely stabilized in that new position.

Any sudden stop from forward flight, or any sudden rearward acceleration, pitches the Mini nose high. When the camera is aimed straight down, that abrupt nose up attitude can cause the gimbal to hit the limit of its downward mechanical range of motion. Obviously, the camera will then be knocked away from its vertical downward orientation. But why can't the camera then automatically resume its 90° straight down orientation once the Mini resumes level flight? Why does it need to jump 10° away from hitting its bump stop and stick there?

I made a short video demonstrating that the gimbal actually is capable of operating in two different modes.
  • When the motors are not running, the gimbal will resume its 90° straight down position even after being mechanically forced away from vertical.
  • When the motors are running, the gimbal always automatically jumps 10° away from touching the limit of its mechanical range of motion.

I set the gimble to 90 degrees and take a photo. Fly forward and sometimes the gimble jumps to 80 degrees. Anyone else have that problem? A search found a similar issue with the Mini.
When I fly in sport mode my gimble drops from looking straight ahead, to looking down, EVERY TIME.

When I fly in sport mode my gimble drops from looking straight ahead, to looking down, EVERY TIME.
So there are few things : Mini 2 Gimbal is not a super strength feature.

Are you doing a wheelie right from the Start or are you feathering your speed out
Are you flying directly into the head wind.
Learn to fly backwards if your in some strong winds .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mini 2 in the Rain and Land on the Waves.

Reactions: Kdash and Grazuncle
Learn to fly backwards if your in some strong winds .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mini 2 in the Rain and Land on the Waves.
That is also the way to stop the gimbal from jumping like it does from OP's question. It is at it's mechanical endpoint when flying forward so any subsequent flight it tries to save itself. Simply rotate the drone 180° and film the same as before flying backwards....no more gimbal jump :p

That is also the way to stop the gimbal from jumping like it does from OP's question. It is at it's mechanical endpoint when flying forward so any subsequent flight it tries to save itself. Simply rotate the drone 180° and film the same as before flying backwards....no more gimbal jump :p
Sounds like a great remedy! Thanks

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Odnicokev