DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Glasses for Goggles

Drone Man Dan

Reactions
So they say necessity is the mother of invention. So here it goes.

I have perfect 20/20 for distance, I used to fly RC plane in the day, but still need glasses for reading, due to an operation I had a few years ago to replace my eye lenses to eliminate my cataracts.

I saw that the screens were blurry in my goggles. I use 1.5 diopter for reading, reading all the posts on line, I experimented and decided on 4.5 Power Readers. I now have an

Extremely sharp view of the screens.

I sacrificed the glasses and cut off the arms on my bandsaw,

mounted a very small neodymium magnet to the front of them after grinding them down to flatten the small curve on them for a better fit.

Epoxied the magnet with 5 Minute Epoxy.

Do not use CA/Super Glue orYour wife's nail glue, it can ruin your lenses if it runs and cause crazing.

Find a short piece of metal the width of the channel in between the lenses by about 3/8 long so that you can adjust yours lenses up or down on it. I used thin two sided tape to mount the strip for now. The magnet will hold the lenses very firmly and can be removed in a second for someone else to use.

f99820ad6d8dbb1d5cae9a14af5b4ffe.jpg
aa4f8346c63d3852e1a5e5168858a792.jpg

That's quite the hack... good job! I suspect that the 'cut out' section of foam either side is meant to accommodate glasses, we have similar issues providing VR solutions. FPV goggles are practically the same thing but still seem to be a fair way behind the VR world in some aspects. You'd think they would gain from a strategic partnership with a leading VR company.

Fantastic idea. I have been frustrated with the need for reading glasses on my newly acquired goggles as of this past Tuesday. I went out and bought 3.5s but not strong enough and cumbersome. I'm definitely going to duplicate your design. Thank you!

Guys I just received the center magnet for the goggles and I have a few extra of both, if you are local and send me a Self addressed envelope I'll send them to you guys free of charge,
I only have 10 of each so first come first served. Dan

I received my DJI Goggles last week and have several comments regarding the adjustment, mostly positive. However, as mentioned by Drone Man Dan, if you use reading glasses for some close up work, or reading, you will mostly likely need some sort of magnification to have a crisp view of the two screens in the DJI Goggles. I have used the Carl Zeiss Cinemizer goggles for a few years with my Slow Stick, Hexacopter and Phantoms. It had a magnification adjustment, which was a great feature. Unfortunately, I was not able to use them with the Mavic. As a result. there is really no other viable option to use goggles in FPV for the Mavic, other than the DJI product (at least in my opinion). The DJI Goggles are superior in many ways. To accommodate the need to magnify, I tried a few reading glasses of various magnifications. 1.5, 3 and 3.25x. I even ordered a higher mag to try but they were a little too strong and tended to blur the outer edges of the screen. Also a smaller frame didn't allow full view of the goggles screens. The photo below shows a older pair of 3.25 reading glasses I've owned for a while. The inset shows what they normally look like. I removed the nose pieces and carefully bent the bows to fit perfectly under the rubberized boot. I then formed a piece of metallic tab into a small hook to hold the glasses in place and epoxied it to the inside of the goggles in the center between the two screens. The second photo shows the glasses in place, which can be removed for other users. glasses1.jpg Glasses3.jpg

Nice! I got my goggles last night and was disappointed that my poor eyesight requires I use/wear "reading" glasses as the images were blurry. I grabbed my small readers and it looked great. Problem is they are like small lower-half bifocals. So when I try to read the top of the screen its blurry. Going to run out and get some bigger/full sized readers, nice to see though some really invented solutions!

I do wish like my FPV Fatsharks there were lenses available for those of us that need them...

And a fan as well. There are a few big brands out there that have been doing this for a while. You would think dji would have adopted a few of their ideas.

Nice! I got my goggles last night and was disappointed that my poor eyesight requires I use/wear "reading" glasses as the images were blurry. I grabbed my small readers and it looked great. Problem is they are like small lower-half bifocals. So when I try to read the top of the screen its blurry. Going to run out and get some bigger/full sized readers, nice to see though some really invented solutions!

I do wish like my FPV Fatsharks there were lenses available for those of us that need them...

How do the Fatshark screens compare with the DJI ?

Speaking purely about the "screens" and nothing else; Its a bit hard for me to do a direct apples to apples comparison as I've yet to run a high-def image to my Fatshark HD3s. They've been used strictly for my FPV drones which have poor cameras when compared to the DJI cameras.

It just might be that I need to take time to adjust to the large image of the DJI Goggles. But the Movie Theater comparison is a very good analogy. With the DJIs it does feel like you are sitting just a few rows from the front row of a movie theater while with the FatSharks its like you are sitting about the middle of the theater. And like a theater I feel when I sit too close I'm having to "scan" the screen to see everything. My eyes move around the screen to see everything rather than being able to look at one spot and see everything.

I actually prefer the Fatsharks in this respect as I feel I can see everything in front of me, like I have a complete view and can see edge to edge without scanning the screen. Again, with more use I may get used to the DJIs...

How do the Fatshark screens compare with the DJI ?

I have a question: I'm about to order the DJI Goggles.

Why won't my normal glasses work while wearing the DJI Goggles? Everyone says that they fit fine over most regular glasses. Can't I wear my normal reading glasses under the DJI Goggles?? Why is everyone inventing ways to insert extra lenses inside the DJI Goggles? I'm confused.

Why won't my normal glasses work while wearing the DJI Goggles?
They will work. However, it depends on bridge of your nose and the bulk of your glasses. For me, I find the material of the glasses bridge puts pressure on my nose after a while. It does work and I am thrilled with the glasses. I have ordered two sets of the Focus Fixer products (4X and 5X) and think that will be the best for me.

@TrayBoz the reason why I find reading glasses are not perfect for the goggles is that sometimes they will obscure either the top or bottom of the displays. My reading glasses obscure the top, but if I am patient and take the time to adjust the glasses and the goggles just right, Im able to see the whole picture top and bottom.

That being said, the Focus Fixer products as @eroomomni mentioned, are a good permanent fix and will let you see the whole screen unobstructed.

The Fat Shark goggles have been the "higher end standard" for some time. But that time has ended! Check out the superior Aomway Commander V1 Diversity 3D FPV Goggles w/ DVR!
Many great reviews of these on Youtube. And since they use 5.8, they will work on several DJI models.

Last edited:
I recently bought a pair of "Dial Vission" adjustable lens eyeglasses as seen on TV. You can adjust these for any magnification you want – and for each eye! Something to think about to get you started.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1