DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Go beyond maximum altitude of 500m setting?

Think about it this way. You plan a mission at the legal 400 feet above ground level. In a sense of legality, if there are any points in that mission that are 1 foot or more higher in elevation than your take off point, you have just broken the 400 foot rule.

Think about it this way. You plan a mission at the legal 400 feet above ground level. In a sense of legality, if there are any points in that mission that are 1 foot or more higher in elevation than your take off point, you have just broken the 400 foot rule.

I think that everyone is aware that 401 ft AGL breaks 107.51. If you are talking about recreational flight however, "in a sense of legality", there is currently no altitude limit except within 3 miles of an airport.

Reactions: Bobby Brown
I think that everyone is aware that 401 ft AGL breaks 107.51. If you are talking about recreational flight however, "in a sense of legality", there is currently no altitude limit except within 3 miles of an airport.
Thank you for enlightening me on that.

Lol. Everyone wants to be an officer of the law nowadays....
None of us want any more restrictions on drones than there already are from people doing dumb and illegal things (not to mention the possibility of killing hundreds of people) so people are cautious when people ask sketchy open ended questions. You could have a legit reason you could be a ********.

Reactions: sdold
None of us want any more restrictions on drones than there already are from people doing dumb and illegal things (not to mention the possibility of killing hundreds of people) so people are cautious when people ask sketchy open ended questions. You could have a legit reason you could be a ********.

And whom enforces restrictions?

Killing hundreds of people! Get real

If you are at the bottom of the mountain, and you would like to climb by your drone, so you need to change the settings to as much attitude as posible, and go fly to the top, and also keep maximum height above the ground120m, but height above yourself its much bigger, so yes, 500m height attitude its not enough to climb at 800m mountain, and you not braking a law coz you are still under 120m above the ground

I believe for now going above 500' is not illegal, but let's say it is - hundreds? Let's start with the first 10 -

1- post #27, going up a mountain where one is always within 120m of AGL but not necessarily within launch point.

- you want to use “active track” on your private helicopter over your private property and climbing higher than 500m

Reactions: JDawg
I have read-up on all pros and contras for flying at or above 500m altitude but I believe, contrary to someone asking whether or not there is a photographic case to be made, I like to answer this with a picture I’ve made at sunset time.
I am in the Philippines and our little local airfield has zero restrictions past 5pm.

What I am trying to say is, would I have been able to go higher to see the “Hundred Islands National Park” past the horizon .... I would have done it.CE4EA9D3-CEBE-48F4-99A0-CCC32FF96C41.jpeg

Reactions: Maviculous
I want to remap the world to have my own version of Google Earth. So going higher would speed up the process

Review my post history and you will see you are talking out the opposite end of your pie hole.
Not really. Just the remote thought of bringing down an aircraft, killing the people inside is way Way too much for me..........
If there was only an area cleared for drone hobbyist to do “height flights”

Not really. Just the remote thought of bringing down an aircraft, killing the people inside is way Way too much for me..........
If there was only an area cleared for drone hobbyist to do “height flights”
My post was not directed at you and I think you missed what was going on in the exchange with the poster it was directed at.

Reactions: Prmath
For starters, why is 500 m not sufficient (what do you intend to do) ?
Going beyond 300-400 m altitude will make your drone BVLOS. So when you have figured out how to do this legally,
500m limit is 500 meters above its starting point, so climb the highest mountain in the region and takeoff from that.
Notice the drone will drain batteries quickly getting at this altitude and windspeeds can be much higher up there than at the takeoff site.
Also notice (light) aircraft & helicopters in the neighbourhood will also be using these altitudes and don't expect drones there.
The picture is of the Thörsmörk valley in Iceland @ about 500m altitude, on the right the Eyjafjallajökull volcano (1666 meters high) which erupted in 2010, causing all airtraffic Europe - America to stay on the ground. For me, this max. altitude is sufficient, also when you take windspeeds into account (timelapse @
)View attachment 58644

Ill chime in here... 500 meters is not suffcient to accomplish my job as I am required to inspect equipment that is at the top of a mountain in the past we had to pay someone to take a helicopter up to the top, and take photos of the equipment, now I can get paid 500 bucks each time I inspect that piece of equipment. I have to climb part of the way but instead of using the M2P I use a modded MP1 to get to the altitiude I need. Currently we are attempting to get some sort of ability to unlock the altitude limit when inspecting things that the department of energy has something to do with. Talks with DJI have been progressive but the wheels turn slow because first I have to prove I need it, then DOE signs off on it, then it comes back and we send to DJI. I have no idea if they will help and remove it for us or not. There are legit reasons why someone would need to go above 500 meters/.

I believe 107 operators can get permission to fly at very high altitudes if next to a structure...not sure what structures are over 500m but just sayin technically....

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929