DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Go beyond maximum altitude of 500m setting?

And many are stupid and do stupid things, read the multiple threads on people doing stupid things. This was the OP's 1st post and there have been multiple 'newbie's' who lost their drones lately by going too high and not being aware of the wind difference.

People will always do stupid things...regardless of the technology involved and the limitations put on that technology.

In terms of altitude there currently is no limit. The only teeth that the FAA has is in terms of endangering the NAS.

http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/amagov/files/2016/07/FAA-400feet.pdf
Prior to the FAA reauthorization bill signed into law, that may have been true.
But 336 is repealed by that law which was the only thing holding the FAA back. The only item in question is the implementation of some of the laws, such as means of obtaining authorization and the test. Saying OK or not OK with authority is able to be implemented today.

So please don't interpret the law as the great suggestion.

But 336 is repealed by that law which was the only thing holding the FAA back
According to this announcement, it appears the FAA is holding back on their own for some reason. I haven't seen an update from them since that was released.

I think it is a fair question to ask why one wants to go higher than 500m
Answer: going up a mountain where one is always within 120m of AGL but not necessarily within launch point. That's the only valid reason I can think of.
OK another is within 120m of a structure that is more than 500m tall but you'll probably have technical with that.

Prior to the FAA reauthorization bill signed into law, that may have been true.
But 336 is repealed by that law which was the only thing holding the FAA back. The only item in question is the implementation of some of the laws, such as means of obtaining authorization and the test. Saying OK or not OK with authority is able to be implemented today.

So please don't interpret the law as the great suggestion.

No - we are in the transition period defined by Section 380, during which all the previously published FAA regulations apply. Nothing changes until they revise 14 CFR.

No - we are in the transition period defined by Section 380, during which all the previously published FAA regulations apply. Nothing changes until they revise 14 CFR.

Flew my Ehang Ghost Drone to 1700 feet excellent pictures!

Did this before I met Captain 107’s. LOL

Do you realize how high you are at 400 meters? I can't imagine a reason you need to go higher then that.
Here where I live, if i fly to the SW, and climb to 400 meters, I would be getting into the tree tops before I get to the top of the mountain, got a 1600 ft mountain right behind me, live on the foot of it!
Most my flights where I flying over level terrain I fly around 200-250 ft, gets best pics

Reactions: Bobby Brown
Then let me suggest you post what your intentions are
so you won’t get no grief and also let me say to please
not try and start another thread on the same thing.
I will delete that also like I just did.
Thank you.
Curious why it's his responsibility to post intentions rather than the rest of not making assumptions? There are hundreds of reasons to break 500m legally. We need to get out of today's cycle of looking for offense and assuming the worst of people. It's not healthy, IMHO.

Do you realize how high you are at 400 meters? I can't imagine a reason you need to go higher then that.
If you can't see your drone then it is either too high or too far away from you--both of which are no-nos. You are supposed to keep your drone in sight--more or less--and at 400 meters high your drone is smaller than a pimple on the butt of an elephant. Do you think you are going to get some magnificent photos from 400 meters up?

I often wish I could exceed the 500m limit! I live right at the base of a mountain that rises up to 9000 ft. quickly. I often launch and climb up the face of the mountain to shoot sunset shots above the valley. I quickly hit the 500m limit, as measured above the launch point, though my Mavic is only maybe 75 ft above the dirt at any given moment. I have easy visual on my drone at all times because of a Firehouse strobe mounted on it. I for one would LOVE to be able to climb higher on that mountain.

Reactions: JDawg
Driving triple digit in mph can be unlaw and dangerous relative to surrounding lawful moving vehicle, but manufacturers allow cars in the triple digit top speed. And disabling the governor in certain countries are not illegal. So why question anybody about why they want to go above 500m limit? To make conversation or just curiosity about people's intent? Making judgments just makes you look bad in this case.

If anyone can contribute to answering the OP, that would be good knowledge sharing and appreciated.

Took my MP Pro to a friend's ranch in the western Sierra foothills and maxed the elevation out. It was over private property (several ranches) and too close to a mountain for air traffic. Pretty exhilarating; that far up, you lose perspective of how far you move laterally. I was surprised to find myself at over 2 miles out while at 1600 feet. You definitely keep an eye on battery time.

Driving triple digit in mph can be unlaw and dangerous relative to surrounding lawful moving vehicle, but manufacturers allow cars in the triple digit top speed. And disabling the governor in certain countries are not illegal. So why question anybody about why they want to go above 500m limit? To make conversation or just curiosity about people's intent? Making judgments just makes you look bad in this case.

If anyone can contribute to answering the OP, that would be good knowledge sharing and appreciated.

The question has already been answered. There is no way, currently, to bypass the 500 m firmware limit.

Curious why it's his responsibility to post intentions rather than the rest of not making assumptions? There are hundreds of reasons to break 500m legally. We need to get out of today's cycle of looking for offense and assuming the worst of people. It's not healthy, IMHO.

I believe for now going above 500m is not illegal, but let's say it is - hundreds? Let's start with the first 10 -

1- post #27, going up a mountain where one is always within 120m of AGL but not necessarily within launch point.

Last edited:
Took my MP Pro to a friend's ranch in the western Sierra foothills and maxed the elevation out. It was over private property (several ranches) and too close to a mountain for air traffic. Pretty exhilarating; that far up, you lose perspective of how far you move laterally. I was surprised to find myself at over 2 miles out while at 1600 feet. You definitely keep an eye on battery time.

Were you flying ATTI? I am asking because shouldn't the drone have held its position?

Well let me cure your curiosity Roach,
My post was just what it said .Reread it
or were you just wanting to quote me for no reason other than to post.
Do feel free to discuss it more in a message if you like and I will be more than happy to answer anything I can.:)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rui S