DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Go Fly App - flight screen orientation indicator

Drone Master....... would you agree that ios devices work better with DJI products than Android devices?

I have an Osmo 3, and I know for a fact that a lot of features available using an ios device are not available using an Android.

I ask because I am wondering whether it would be worth getting an ios device to use solely with my DJI products.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks.
It has been 90% positive that IOS devices work best with DJI products. About 75% on android.
I run all all of my DJI aircraft on IOS devices.

It would have to. Otherwise how would the app know you yourself was turning around?
This is true! however your location GPS services must also be on for this feature to work correctly.
The app does use your devices for compass and GPS connections.
Many of DJI's apps are based on this algorithm.

Works flawlessly on IPhone 6
Yeah, I happen to have the iPhone 6S+ and it works flawless with every flyer I have. It works flawless with DJI drones and perfect with Autel EVO. I think if someone wants a devise that is 99.9998% flawless with every drone currently on the market the 6S or 6S+ is perfect. But the 6S+ has more real Estate

Yeah, I happen to have the iPhone 6S+ and it works flawless with every flyer I have. It works flawless with DJI drones and perfect with Autel EVO. I think if someone wants a devise that is 99.9998% flawless with every drone currently on the market the 6S or 6S+ is perfect. But the 6S+ has more real Estate

Thanks for that info, silverdragon.

Couple of questions, if you don't mind.......

How much storage do you have on your 6S+?
Is it necessary to have a sim card in the device when using it solely for operating the drones? Or could I have the hotspot on, on my regular phone, and connect the iphone via WiFi?

Sorry for the bother.

Ok so I have this exact problem with iPhone 7. Phone/drone compasses calibrated, app has permission to use phone gps, IMU calibrated and latest firmware.

I saw a very very short video on YouTube of a guy with his phone compass app open, bringing the phone into the arms of the controller where it is supposed to sit and the phone compass being visibly affected. It seems the issue is the controller affects the phone compass for some reason. When he moved the phone away from the controller the compass corrected itself.

My solution? Or attempt anyway - I’ve ordered one of those Skyreat-like controller inserts with the arm sticking out to hold the phone and a longer connection cable. My thinking is with the phone further away from the controller the issue should be fixed, at least based on the video. We’ll see, That stuff comes in today, I’ll try it and report.

Ok so I have this exact problem with iPhone 7. Phone/drone compasses calibrated, app has permission to use phone gps, IMU calibrated and latest firmware.

I saw a very very short video on YouTube of a guy with his phone compass app open, bringing the phone into the arms of the controller where it is supposed to sit and the phone compass being visibly affected. It seems the issue is the controller affects the phone compass for some reason. When he moved the phone away from the controller the compass corrected itself.

My solution? Or attempt anyway - I’ve ordered one of those Skyreat-like controller inserts with the arm sticking out to hold the phone and a longer connection cable. My thinking is with the phone further away from the controller the issue should be fixed, at least based on the video. We’ll see, That stuff comes in today, I’ll try it and report.

Please let us know how it works out.

I too ordered one of those phone/tablet holders, with a longer cable.

20191224_104127.jpg

In my case, I didn't notice any appreciable improvement, so it will be interesting to see how it works for you.

Cheers!

Please let us know how it works out.

I too ordered one of those phone/tablet holders, with a longer cable.

In my case, I didn't notice any appreciable improvement, so it will be interesting to see how it works for you.

Cheers!

???
I just went back and clicked on the link where you brought this up before. THAT is the video I was referring to. So the Skyream insert didn’t help? I wonder why. Maybe the phone should be even further away from the controller. Or maybe that’s not even what the issue is, even though it seems to be logically. I’ll try mine later today and let you know.

Not a bad idea. But I don’t think the Go Fly app is referencing the phone compass. Could be wrong. Thanks!

One way to find out, unlock the compass in map view If the map maintains north as you rotate the device, the app is accessing it's compass. If not, the map rotates with the phone it doesn't.

My phone for example, for whatever reason DJI 4 doesn't/can't access it's built in compass yet the Fly app readily does. Both apps equally set for permissions.

I had the issue with my iPhone 6 until I went into privacy and allowed the fly app access to location services, set it to while using

Just as an update, I tried putting my phone to the controller with compass app open - absolutely no effect. Seems like the controller does not affect my compass but the directional locator on bottom of screen very rarely works right for me. There must be some other problem. Just a software issue? I’m hoping it’s a bug that can be fixed with a firmware update.

Reactions: jamiemink
Androids often need their compasses calibrated. This can easily be done by shaking the phone/tablet in a figure 8. Rotating on 3 axes also works.

Reactions: WooZie
Androids often need their compasses calibrated. This can easily be done by shaking the phone/tablet in a figure 8. Rotating on 3 axes also works.

Calibrating the phones compass had no effect on the problem.

I even tried calibrating the phones compass while attached to the controller.

Hopefully we get a solution sometime.

Merry Christmas Morning!!

It seems to have more to do with the device than the controller.
If my device, iPad mini 4, is rotated separately from the controller, the orientation on the screen changes.
In my case, if the screen is rotated 90° clockwise in relation to the controller, the indicator is correct when the controller is pointing at the MM

same issue, the indicator shows that the MM is behind me, or sometimes shows as disconnected? but everything else works fine. iPhone XS Max.

Reactions: jamiemink

I’m having the exact same issue with my Mavic mini, when using an iPhone XS Max, a 7, and a 6S. I also have a Mavic2 Pro and with that system using the GO4 app I have no issues with the orientation compass. Works perfectly. Seems to be related to the Mini controller/ system.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki