DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Go Fly App - flight screen orientation indicator

New to the MM forum but been flying DJI for years. Mainly P3. When I first got the mini had the same issue with the radar being completely inaccurate. After countless calibrations of Mobile device (Nexus 9), mini, RC etc I was about to give up on the radar working properly. Then just playing around in the Fly App I decided to go into settings and see if anything could be changed which might be causing this so I went into Profile/settings/sync and turned off Mobile. Took it out and everything was working perfectly. Maps, Radar everything solve. You might try this. This has nothing to do with Firmware versions, App versions etc. Good luck. Maxx
Can you explain "turned off mobile"? There is no setting that I can see in Profile/settings/synch that says "mobile" Do you mean that you turned off the "Auto-synch Flight Records" ? Can you provide a screen shot of what you turned off?

Just calibrate the smarphone while attached to the RC. After calibrating through GMaps the indicator is working fine for me.

Somehow it seems to adapt faster with GMaps than waving the assembly without the G app open.

Can you explain "turned off mobile"? There is no setting that I can see in Profile/settings/synch that says "mobile" Do you mean that you turned off the "Auto-synch Flight Records" ? Can you provide a screen shot of what you turned off?
Dont have my device with me at the moment but when I get home today I will. Going from memory but Im almost 100% it was under the sync settings something about not sync or using the mobile data? Something like that anyway. I will get it exact when Im able to get to my Nexus. Whatever I toggled off my radar began working perfectly. Pretty sure it is only using the data of the Mini and the RC and bypassing the mobile device. I have the latest app and firmware etc. At any rate it fixed my radar 100%

Dont have my device with me at the moment but when I get home today I will. Going from memory but Im almost 100% it was under the sync settings something about not sync or using the mobile data? Something like that anyway. I will get it exact when Im able to get to my Nexus. Whatever I toggled off my radar began working perfectly. Pretty sure it is only using the data of the Mini and the RC and bypassing the mobile device. I have the latest app and firmware etc. At any rate it fixed my radar 100%
ok. will await the details.

I’ve had all types of DJI drones... phantoms, Mavics, and now the Mavic Mini. The little drone is brilliant, but the flight interface is a bit wonky.

Is anyone else having issues with the flight screen orientation indicator at the bottom middle of the screen not even being close to accurate? I know how to fly, I know how it’s intended to work. Seems it was “close” to being correct initially, now it’s not even in the ballpark. I’ve recalibrated the IUM and compass, no effect.

Hopefully it’s something an update will correct.
The DJ fly app is designed such that the orientation indicator is relative to the direction in which the controller is pointed. If you rotate the controller is pointed at the aircraft, the indicator will point at the top (toward the aircraft). This indicator is different from the Phantom indicator.

I am also very interested in this potential flight orientation fix. Once confirmed, it should be communicated to DJI.

ok. will await the details.
I am also very interested in this potential flight orientation fix. Once confirmed, it should be communicated to DJI.
What I am about to post worked for me and my particular setup (MM & Nexus 9). Was having all sorts of issues with the Radar being out of whack. Tried everything (multiple times). My Nexus was flawless flying the P3 but for some reason Radar was buggy. Compass app on Nexus was always perfect so no issues there. Went into the Fly App settings into privacy and toggled off the "mobile device GPS". Restarted everything went to flying and low and behold the radar was working perfect. I use the Radar screen 95% of the time in my flying. Hardly ever use the Maps down in the lower left corner. However if you have this toggled off and hit the maps in the lower left the software will ask you to turn on the Mobile device GPS. First few times I just kept it toggled off and Radar kept working perfectly. So decided to hit maps on my last flight yesterday and again it prompted me to turn on device GPS which I did allow. Once I did this the Radar was still working perfectly and the Maps was also working perfectly. So if you are having issues with radar orientation try toggling off the mobile device GPS in your privacy setting to see if it straightens out your radar. If it does you can then toggle back on the Device GPS if you are used to using the map function in lower left. Anyway it worked for me and is still working just fine as of last night. Good Luck. Its worth a shot and quick and easy to do. Maxx

Ok, I will try this after work and will let you all know if I can repeat this successfully.
Another poster suggested that you calibrate you phone compass while connected to the controller. I will also test this theory and report. FYI I’m using an iPhone 7 with my MM.

I too have been having this problem and have reported and posted on it in various threads.

I will also try this solution and report back.

I am using a Samsung S9+.

Thanks.

Ok, I will try this after work and will let you all know if I can repeat this successfully.
Another poster suggested that you calibrate you phone compass while connected to the controller. I will also test this theory and report. FYI I’m using an iPhone 7 with my MM.

Tried that too..didnt change anything still had Radar issue. :)

I calibrate my mobile device WHILE attached to the RC. Wave the assembly in a figure of 8 motion, do 360° turnaround. I also use GMaps to verify and calibrate the compass. Once calibrated the half circular bottom heading indicator works fine, even with my S9+.

The DJ fly app is designed such that the orientation indicator is relative to the direction in which the controller is pointed. If you rotate the controller is pointed at the aircraft, the indicator will point at the top (toward the aircraft). This indicator is different from the Phantom indicator.
of the phone. not the controller.

Ok, I have unchecked mobile device GPS under profile/settings/ privacy. The flight orientation works now but the map function isn’t.... at least for now. I will try calibrate my phone compass while connected to the controller and will update my findings tomorrow.

Reactions: Raylance
Ok, I have unchecked mobile device GPS under profile/settings/ privacy. The flight orientation works now but the map function isn’t.... at least for now. I will try calibrate my phone compass while connected to the controller and will update my findings tomorrow.
Correct. While you are connected up and hovering go ahead and hit the map and it should give you a warning about device GPS not being used do you want to allow. I went ahead and allowed it and the map began working as well as the radar. Flew yesterday and everything for me was still normal. Hope you get it to function correctly. Technically my device is not on the list for approved devices so not sure if its an actual software bug or whether it just has/had some issues with my Nexus. Any rate Im 100% which is all I care about. Good Luck.

Thank you for this solution. Although I have not yet been able to try it out, I really have a good feeling about it!

Quick question.....

Am I correct to assume that we have to go through this procedure prior to each flight?

Thanks!

I’ve had all types of DJI drones... phantoms, Mavics, and now the Mavic Mini. The little drone is brilliant, but the flight interface is a bit wonky.

Is anyone else having issues with the flight screen orientation indicator at the bottom middle of the screen not even being close to accurate? I know how to fly, I know how it’s intended to work. Seems it was “close” to being correct initially, now it’s not even in the ballpark. I’ve recalibrated the IUM and compass, no effect.

Hopefully it’s something an update will correct.
Try to calibrate your compass in your smartphone!

Thank you for this solution. Although I have not yet been able to try it out, I really have a good feeling about it!

Quick question.....

Am I correct to assume that we have to go through this procedure prior to each flight?

Thanks!

I only had to do this once. From then on my setup seemed to be OK. Good luck.

Reactions: Bernie707

Quick question.....

Thanks!
Not sure yet, I had a more urgent matter, I had a Max Power warning come up today and my MM dropped like a rock. I have no Idea why. Barely a breeze and lots of battery. My confidence in this drone s shattered. Thank GOD it landed in snow.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki