DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

GO4 version 4.0.3 - android

yea what is that? please tell us it's autofocus something.

i haven't tried the latest app but i assume it continuously seeks until focus is found. If that object moves, it will then try seek focus until focus is found again.
I am not sure and havent tested how this applies in real world. Eg, if a bird flies directly pass the camera, will the camera seek the bird as focus??

i haven't tried the latest app but i assume it continuously seeks until focus is found. If that object moves, it will then try seek focus until focus is found again.
I am not sure and havent tested how this applies in real world. Eg, if a bird flies directly pass the camera, will the camera seek the bird as focus??

No. I've had a chance to test it this morning in lovely sunny conditions. Historically I've used tap to focus mostly, (on a iOS device and an android device) which has been fine, apart from the fact that I kept forgetting to do it. So, I thought I'd give AFC a go this morning on android and it worked beautifully. It didn't hunt all the time, just focussed very occasionally when hovering. Having reviewed the footage, it's perfect (or as perfect as you're ever going to get out of the Mavic).

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

^ so we dont have to tap Center AF anymore? I'm always so paranoid I forget to focus and things turn out blurry. Set it to AF-C and forget it and things will turn out nicely without worrying?

i belive that requires phase-detection AF and fairly advanced algorithm..something Mavic cams dont have I dont think

^ so we dont have to tap Center AF anymore? I'm always so paranoid I forget to focus and things turn out blurry. Set it to AF-C and forget it and things will turn out nicely without worrying?

i belive that requires phase-detection AF and fairly advanced algorithm..something Mavic cams dont have I dont think

Well, we're all different, but based on my 10 minute test this morning I didn't find the AFC to be intrusive at all. And like you say, it's good not have to worry about focussing all the time. Probably more testing needed, but first impressions were excellent.

Same did an hour this morning testing out afc and only noticed a few afc hunts. Putting on 2.7k playback in a while to see how noticeable or useful the function is

Sent from my SM-G935F using MavicPilots mobile app

Same did an hour this morning testing out afc and only noticed a few afc hunts. Putting on 2.7k playback in a while to see how noticeable or useful the function is

Will be interesting to see what you think. Mine hunted twice, once on initial hover then once later when I stopped to fiddle with some settings.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Great news so far. Had about 15 mins of footage from landscapes to closeups and no visual sign of afc hunting. All seemed in focus. Going out again tomorrow to retest and also at different res and frame rates. Today I shot in 2.7k at 24fps

Reactions: Wacker2611
Hunting happened on start up and then again as wacker2611 said on hover after a few seconds. If it's hunting during flight and filming it has not come through noticeably on footage

Reactions: Wacker2611
Any word on how the offline maps work? Is it the same as before, it just caches what you view or can you actually download an area map?
It's an option on the top right main screen (before you enter your drone interface). You can download maps based on countries and regions depending on where you live.

The map size is pretty massive though, something like 2GB for Australia I think.

Sent from my LG-H990 using MavicPilots mobile app

It's an option on the top right main screen (before you enter your drone interface). You can download maps based on countries and regions depending on where you live.

The map size is pretty massive though, something like 2GB for Australia I think.

Sent from my LG-H990 using MavicPilots mobile app

Thanks! Too bad it's only regular maps without satellite maps but it's better than nothing.

I noticed they brought back the lowest battery cell voltage again so you can monitor if/when you have a cell about to drop too low in voltage. Prior to the update, it was showing total voltage. (Note, you need to enable the setting to show voltage on main screen in the battery advanced settings).

AFC refocuses every time the drone stops. For me, the hunt is noticeable so I turn this off, use manual focus (with the new focus peaking, it works awesome), and then switch to AE and lock the AE to prevent anything from changing accidentally when I touch the screen. I do appreciate the option to turn AFC on for quick flights though.

I noticed they brought back the lowest battery cell voltage again so you can monitor if/when you have a cell about to drop too low in voltage. Prior to the update, it was showing total voltage. (Note, you need to enable the setting to show voltage on main screen in the battery advanced settings).

AFC refocuses every time the drone stops. For me, the hunt is noticeable so I turn this off, use manual focus (with the new focus peaking, it works awesome), and then switch to AE and lock the AE to prevent anything from changing accidentally when I touch the screen. I do appreciate the option to turn AFC on for quick flights though.

what peaking level do you have your's set at? I'm just thinking about setting it to infinite focus at forget about touching it again. Will this work well?

I had focus peaking set to normal if i flew high up, but changed it to the higher (more specific) setting of i flew closer to things.

Setting focus at infinity works well if you'll be flying far from your subjects. The closer you get to what you're filming, the more narrow (sensitive) the depth of field will become. If locked at infinity, this means objects closer to you will be out of focus.

I notice this version has fixed the MPH bug. With imperial units set, the DJIGo4 mph indication is finally correct and matches the RC. As someone else mentioned it brought back Google Maps too ever so briefly too. Anyone know why this brief reversion occurs before switching to the 5 year old here" maps?

I notice this version has fixed the MPH bug. With imperial units set, the DJIGo4 mph indication is finally correct and matches the RC. As someone else mentioned it brought back Google Maps too ever so briefly too. Anyone know why this brief reversion occurs before switching to the 5 year old here" maps?

What I find unbelievably annoying is when fairly crucial bugs are ironed out (which is obviously great) yet there's no mention of it in the change log. This has happened countless times (it's not just DJI that do this) and it always seems to be up to the users to find them. Why can't they just front up and admit that bugs have been fixed?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Inky