DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Goggle Questions

rp6

PP/ASEL
Premium Pilot
Reactions
I would like to use goggles with my MA2 and/Mini2. I would like a seamless experience. I wear glasses. Please tell me which of the available new goggles would be the best fit for using with my DJI drones. I want the FPV visual experience without buying the FPV drone. Thanks for your answers.

I do not believe that any goggles will work with your MA2 or Mini 2 natively. To do so would require some sort of a "hack" or work around.

That isn't a bad thing. You are talking about consumer level camera drones. They are designed for taking pictures, not for immersion flight experiences. That doesn't mean you can't use a plate for a frisbee. It can work... but not the design intent.

I would like to use goggles with my MA2 and/Mini2. I would like a seamless experience. I wear glasses. Please tell me which of the available new goggles would be the best fit for using with my DJI drones. I want the FPV visual experience without buying the FPV drone. Thanks for your answers.
If you want the immersive experience of FPV without the expense to see what it's like, for the moment you can forget about the Mini 2, but there are cheap solutions for the Mavic 2. If you're looking to use DJI goggles I can't help you. But again, there is a cheap route to FPV for your M2. It is not the same as a true FPV drone or, I'm sure, has the same clarity as dedicated DJI goggles (with a DJI drone that works with them). But the immersive experience of having a bird's-eye view is quite exciting. At the same time having to fiddle with this stuff is more clumsy and cumbersome. But under the right circumstances worth the extra effort.

A decent set of VR goggles (not FPV goggles in the technical sense) should run you around $20. I have these: VR goggles from Amazon

Next you need a program that has FPV and supports your drone. Currently DJI has not released the SDK for the Mini 2, but there are two programs that I have that work with the Mavic 2: Litchi and DroneVR. Litchi costs around $25 and DroneVR costs $9. I tend to use DroneVR more, but Litchi has many more features outside of the FPV mode. DroneVR has more FPV customization settings. Both can transmit to remote devices so that a spectator/VO can watch the screen while you fly with goggles.

The only other thing you'll need is a cable long enough to go from the controller to your phone that will be installed in the goggles on your face. If you have an iPhone a standard USB/Lightning charging cable works just fine.

I don't suspect this setup will be as clear as DJI's goggles, but then again you they don't cost $300+ to own either.

If you want the immersive experience of FPV without the expense to see what it's like, for the moment you can forget about the Mini 2, but there are cheap solutions for the Mavic 2. If you're looking to use DJI goggles I can't help you. But again, there is a cheap route to FPV for your M2. It is not the same as a true FPV drone or, I'm sure, has the same clarity as dedicated DJI goggles (with a DJI drone that works with them). But the immersive experience of having a bird's-eye view is quite exciting. At the same time having to fiddle with this stuff is more clumsy and cumbersome. But under the right circumstances worth the extra effort.

A decent set of VR goggles (not FPV goggles in the technical sense) should run you around $20. I have these: VR goggles from Amazon

Next you need a program that has FPV and supports your drone. Currently DJI has not released the SDK for the Mini 2, but there are two programs that I have that work with the Mavic 2: Litchi and DroneVR. Litchi costs around $25 and DroneVR costs $9. I tend to use DroneVR more, but Litchi has many more features outside of the FPV mode. DroneVR has more FPV customization settings. Both can transmit to remote devices so that a spectator/VO can watch the screen while you fly with goggles.

The only other thing you'll need is a cable long enough to go from the controller to your phone that will be installed in the goggles on your face. If you have an iPhone a standard USB/Lightning charging cable works just fine.

I don't suspect this setup will be as clear as DJI's goggles, but then again you they don't cost $300+ to own either.
Thank you. Your response is very helpful to me.

You are welcome. You will notice that with the Amazon purchase it has Prime delivery and FREE RETURNS if you don't like it. In other words, it costs you the price of the program to try it if you don't like it.

FWIW I had different set of VR goggles with the sliding door on the front. It was heavy, 4 ounces heavier than the ones I have now, largely because it has an "tray" that you install your phone into. The advantage of the tray is that once installed you can remove it and reinstall it and the positioning of the phone will remain the same. The Pecosso version that I have is lighter and instead of the door has a front panel that is removable. The idea behind the door or the panel is that with DroneVR you can hit the C2 button and you can actually see outside via your phone's camera without removing the goggles. Not the same as direct eyesight, but helpful. Removing the door on the Pecosso makes them a few grams lighter still. I don't think Litchi has the ability to switch to a camera view though the alt/distance/speed, etc are easier to read with Litchi.

You are welcome. You will notice that with the Amazon purchase it has Prime delivery and FREE RETURNS if you don't like it. In other words, it costs you the price of the program to try it if you don't like it.

FWIW I had different set of VR goggles with the sliding door on the front. It was heavy, 4 ounces heavier than the ones I have now, largely because it has an "tray" that you install your phone into. The advantage of the tray is that once installed you can remove it and reinstall it and the positioning of the phone will remain the same. The Pecosso version that I have is lighter and instead of the door has a front panel that is removable. The idea behind the door or the panel is that with DroneVR you can hit the C2 button and you can actually see outside via your phone's camera without removing the goggles. Not the same as direct eyesight, but helpful. Removing the door on the Pecosso makes them a few grams lighter still. I don't think Litchi has the ability to switch to a camera view though the alt/distance/speed, etc are easier to read with Litchi.
Thank you.

If you have, or buy a smart controller, with just a few adapters, you can use DJI goggles with the Air 2, but nothing will work with the mini 2. DroneXFactor Youtube has a video on this topic too.

Work out your HDMI with your device.

Those will work. However its $140USD plus adapters. It seems to me that you need something like a Chromecast dongle for the HDMI transmission. I would have to assume there would be increased latency with that system , no? While the quality of the VR goggles, I'm sure, is not as good as the Yuneek goggles, at least the latency is the same as when a standard cell phone hooked up to the controller.

Those will work. However its $140USD plus adapters. It seems to me that you need something like a Chromecast dongle for the HDMI transmission. I would have to assume there would be increased latency with that system , no? While the quality of the VR goggles, I'm sure, is not as good as the Yuneek goggles, at least the latency is the same as when a standard cell phone hooked up to the controller.

I was only considering these seem to be decent quality true FPV goggles, and compared to DJI items, a lot more affordable.
I've only gone by posts I've noticed on various drone forums of happy people using them, so figure for our (DJI consumer drone) type of FPV use, they are pretty good value.

Those ones with the phone in them might satisfy some people too.

I've just sold my P3P and my Nvidia sheild tablet that had HDMI on it but it was only a 32 bit tab, no good for my mini 2, I've kept my headplay goggles and now looking at another tablet with HDMI on so I can still use the headplay goggles with my mini 2.
as I use a spotter I can see the screen 100% and when I lift the goggles my spotter points to the drone so I see it right away, this system has worked for years

I was only considering these seem to be decent quality true FPV goggles, and compared to DJI items, a lot more affordable.
I've only gone by posts I've noticed on various drone forums of happy people using them, so figure for our (DJI consumer drone) type of FPV use, they are pretty good value.

Those ones with the phone in them might satisfy some people too.
I think the Yuneec goggles are something to consider for some folks. But I think these are just a different sort of compromise as I would have to believe the latency would be increased which makes precision flying a bit difficult in tight spots. One thing I like about the VR goggles, though probably not nearly as crisp and clean as newer DJI goggles is that the spacial awareness near objects with the immersion seems better than just watching on the screen in your hand. The downside of being inside of goggles is that moving sideways is tricky because you have zero peripheral vision.

The way I see it, is if you have a compatible drone, for $30 or so you might want to see if FPV with your drone is for you. You can always jump in the deep end after you dip your toe in the water. Besides, you've got the money you saved up for a whole year not eating at restaurants :0 .

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580