DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Goggles and Air2S

A couple of posts / threads that might help . . .

What cable would I need?

Reactions: RonanCork

What cable would I need?

Thanks I'll take a look. Actually I came across this link just now on Facebook. Anyone have any experience of it? Looks more like an expensive sun shade?

Thanks I'll take a look. Actually I came across this link just now on Facebook. Anyone have any experience of it? Looks more like an expensive sun shade?

That one does seem expensive, but it might be better than the run of the mill cheap 'phone slip in' goggles.
Haven't tried one myself, but I've read here you can get similar headsets that you slip your phone into for as low as (US)$30 or $40.
Cheap, and good enough to try to see if you actually like the goggles VR experience, many don't like it at all.
If it works for you, then you can look for better goggle options.

Reactions: RonanCork
Not really. Not in the way they were intended to be used at least. You can use the HDMI out of the smart controller and play it on the goggles but frankly you can do that with any VR goggles with an HDMI input and you can find better ones than the DJI goggles.
I don't have the smart controller, just the regular controller that comes out of the box with the Air2S combo. Would it work in that case? DGI on their website indicate that their Air2S doesn't support the Googles.

Are there any goggles (from any provider at all) that would work with the Air2S?

Ro

I don't have the smart controller, just the regular controller that comes out of the box with the Air2S combo. Would it work in that case? DGI on their website indicate that their Air2S doesn't support the Googles.

Are there any goggles (from any provider at all) that would work with the Air2S?

Did you see other link where you can generally hook up any DJI drone to either white original goggles or black RE goggles ?

Here's one the shows it being used with a mirroring bluetooth device, so a pilot can fly with the normal device while a 2nd person gets the goggles and sit in the pilots seat.

This is for the Air 2, should be same for 2S ??

You can generally skip the mirroring device / power bank by using the short HDMI adapter and a cable with the right controller / goggles connections to fly direct FPV view only.

The latter is what I do when using the DJI Spark with my RE goggles.

Oh, and . . .

do the dji goggles work with the Air2S?

Not the newer FPV goggles, possibly ever, not compatible.
Only the older white original goggles, like in the video above, or the similar looking black RE goggles.

Last edited:

Ro
No it wouldn’t work. For all intents and purposes you need a smart controller or a device with an HDMI out port (which is rare) for it to work. There may be some jimmy rig work arounds but they don’t work well enough in my opinion to spend that kinda of money on.

Reactions: gcopter1
Hey Guys,

I've the Air2S. I was wondering do the dji goggles work with the Air2S? Or failing that do any goggles work with the Air2S.

Thanks Ro
I have the original Smart Controller with HDMI cord to attach my old FatShark Dominator V3 goggles and they work pretty good. Resolution is good but I wish it was a bigger field of vision and it squeezes telemetry number at the bottom some. The worst thing about goggles now is that FAA mandates a Visual Observer with you when you use them. I understand that you have a more limited field of view but I feel like I fly safer with them on since I can see what the drone is doing better. I hope they drop this requirement WHEN they also allow BVLOS (Beyond Visual Line of Sight) flights. That where goggles really shine, or so I've been told ;)

I used either of the two Smart Controllers to drive Fat Shark HDO2 goggles. Very good results with those goggles, clear, bright, decent FOV and very comfortable even with extended use.

The only issue is with the Smart Controller PRO you have to use a USB-C to HDMI adapter instead of the HDMI output because that output will not maintain a connection with the HDO2. No idea why. The standard (old) Smart Controller works fine with the HDMI output and the HDO2.

Reactions: RGS2010
Well I found a pair of DJI Goggles and I just now ordered the HDMI to micro HDMI to plug them into my Air 2S. Should be here tomorrow, hopefully. I will let you know how they work. My FatSharks are only Okay to use and hoping these will give a better field of view with larger screens and the flip up function will be great for flying and checking the Smart Controller. Will keep you posted.

P.S. Will also report on my Mini 2 with the DJI Goggles.

What cable would I need?

HDMI to Micro HDMI cable to connect Smart Controller (old one) to DJI Goggles (old one).

Well I found a pair of DJI Goggles and I just now ordered the HDMI to micro HDMI to plug them into my Air 2S. Should be here tomorrow, hopefully. I will let you know how they work. My FatSharks are only Okay to use and hoping these will give a better field of view with larger screens and the flip up function will be great for flying and checking the Smart Controller. Will keep you posted.

P.S. Will also report on my Mini 2 with the DJI Goggles.
I got my DJI Goggles from Ebay...in decent shape...I hooked Goggles up to my laptop and the Assistant 2 and it needed 5 updates to reach the most current firmware (even though it's discontinued, of course) and that went without a problem. I use the original Smart Controller with the HDMI out port so I had to order a HDMI (male) to a micro HDMI (male) from Amazon (3 feet cable) LINK . Then I had to charge the Goggles (which didn't come with any cables) and it uses a USB to micro USB and luckily I had one of those.

Powered on the Air 2S, the Smart Controller, and the Goggles and it all worked! (you have to make sure that your smart controller has HDMI out enabled in the settings). I used a small pair of "cheater" reading glasses because otherwise it was too blurry for me but the cheaters made it crystal clear. Plenty of room inside the goggles for glasses, but not big ones. My normal glasses are pretty big but that isn't the real problem, it's the progressive lenses that are the problem for me...bottom of screen is sharp and middle and upper is blurry.

Note that only video is output to Goggles and you do not have any control of the Air 2S through the Goggles like the Spark does and a couple of other older Mavic models. You DO get the telemetry data so that you can see what is going on just like looking at the Smart Controller screen.

One awesome setting item in the goggles during setup was the screen ratio (not the exact wording) where you can make the entire video feed a little smaller so that you can see the top and bottom lines better...especially good for those of us using glasses.

My only gripe is that I sweat in the Texas heat and the goggles tend to fog my glasses...looking at ways to McGuyver a small fan (like the one on my FatShark Dominator v3) on them to help.

Flying:
1. No video or screen recording - when just flying around using the goggles, it's immersive and very enjoyable.

2. Just recording on Air 2S - A little bit slower reaction time but still very useful and no big problems.

3. Just Screen Recording on Smart Controller - More lag than on #2 above

4. Screen Recording on Smart Controller and Drone Recording - Very noticeable screen lag and jerkiness. Not enjoyable and I'm not sure it would even be useful. Note: it does not have lag or jerkiness in drone video, just on Smart Controller.

I will enjoy the flying experience of these goggles and it will enhance video shots on commercial shots due to less distractibility and no glare on the Smart Controller screen (with a spotter, of course).

DJI...it would be great if you enabled these Goggles to work with Occusync with the Air 2S...it's all there, why not enable it? I know DJI Goggles are out of support cycle now, but c'mon throw us a bone! It would be similarly great to enable DJI FPV Goggles to work with Air 2S. You did an awesome job supporting the original Smart Controller with the Air 2S (THANK YOU!) and now we need some goggle support. By the way, nice job on the Olympics!

P.S. I haven't had a chance to test the Mini 2 with the goggles yet.

P.S.S. For those without a Smart Controller...there is a "mirroring technique" that uses a portable transmission device, like a Chromecast, that can be found all over the Internet. I did that early on but it's just too cumbersome for me.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jimwinter