DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Good app recommendation for beginners?

sunnyman

Reactions
Hello,

What are some good apps for beginners that are easy to learn, other than DJI's own app.

How are ones for the experienced drone pilots, that I can use later when I master lying drones.

-- Edit --
I have DJI Mavic Air 2 & iPhone by the way

Thanks,
Sunnyman

Last edited:
What drone do you have? What do you use, Android or IOS?
Litchi seems to be the best bet. Pretty easy to learn and has a lot of functions.
Maven is very popular for IOS users.

Reactions: sunnyman
Hello,

What are some good apps for beginners that are easy to learn, other than DJI's own app.

How are ones for the experienced drone pilots, that I can use later when I master lying drones.

Thanks,
Sunnyman
I'd stick with the DJI Fly or GO 4 app until you find a need to switch. They're as simple as anything else available, and there's much better support for them when you have questions or want to read up on user experiences and tips. There's a huge community of users here on this forum and more elsewhere. There's not nearly the user base or knowledge base available for other control software.

If you're just getting started have a look at the free video tutorials on specific drone models offered by The Pilot Institute. Their courses, and almost everything you'll find from other sources, assume that you're using the DJI control apps.

Here's the one on the Mini 3 Pro.

I'd guess that almost all experienced users rely on the DJI apps for most operations, and switch to Litchi, Maven, or another when there's a special feature required, such as waypoint missions and mapping.

Maven has become very popular in the last year or so with iphone users.
Wow, I looked up about this app, and it was made by one person (Michele Vagnetti). One-man operation, developing software as a hobby. Fascinating.

Have you used the app? Is it better than other paid apps?

Wow, I looked up about this app, and it was made by one person (Michele Vagnetti). One-man operation, developing software as a hobby. Fascinating.

Have you used the app? Is it better than other paid apps?
Yes Michele has developed a great app indeed. I have seen him active in some forums too. I haven't used it personally but i've seen many videos on youtube and heard many people giving it good reviews within this forum. I use Litchi with my Android devices and it works for me except waypoints being jerky but all of the apps will do that for the MA2 and all newer drones since the MA2 using the fly app since the missions are controlled via "virtual sticks". Dronelink is another option but not nearly as user friendly as Maven or Litchi. But it has more functions to it if you are willing to dive into it and learn it.

Reactions: sunnyman and AZDave

What's the problem with the DJI Fly app ?
Do you find this too hard to learn on ?
Or it doesn't do some of the flight features you'd like ?

I would really recommend you use Fly, and learn to fly / photograph / film effectively on that first.

Actually I have never used other than Go4 with my 2 older DJI drones, love it, but most of the aftermarket apps seem to be made for / are really great for autonomous flights, waypoints etc, repeat missions, you really won't find any simpler app than the DJI one to start and learn on.

Do you want to go straight into autonomous flight ?

I personally love flying, even rarely use RTH, just love working those sticks and buttons :)

DJI Fly is much simpler, just use that for now.
With Mavic Air 2 it has all the functionality you need.

Reactions: sunnyman
Maven is an outstanding app for DJI drones. I use it all the time and recommend Maven.
Many recommended Maven, so I purchased the app. While I don't know how to use most of the features yet. I really liked the picture-in-picture feature.

I've watched many YouTube videos, and the spiraling orbit feature looks great. I am going to have to try it when I get better with the drone and app.

On Litchi and Rainbow APPS: I do not see the CAMERA ZOOM feature

or am I blind ?

*flying Mini2
The Litchi camera zoom feature works exactly as in DJI Fly app:
Optical/Digital zoom: For cameras which support optical or digital zoom but cannot be adjusted using the RC's right wheel: hold the RC's Fn/C2 button and use the left RC wheel to adjust the zoom.
Custom Function: It is also possible to control the zoom (optical or digital) using the custom functions "Zoom In" and "Zoom Out". Only for cameras which support zoom in the DJI firmware.

Reactions: Jam0ne
Many recommended Maven, so I purchased the app. While I don't know how to use most of the features yet. I really liked the picture-in-picture feature.

I've watched many YouTube videos, and the spiraling orbit feature looks great. I am going to have to try it when I get better with the drone and app.
Once you become better acquainted with the drone and it’s native software I think you will find that Maven will allow you plan and execute missions in a way no other app will. Using Virtual Litchi and Google Earth will allow you to “pre-fly” them, but that’s for another day. Good luck.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arm1