DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Got a call from the Police about my drone

Until March 2021, local LE is not empowered by the FAA to enforce their rules. (That is my understanding.)
May want to call that to their attention, nicely. VLOS can be extended with the use of a high quality strobe even in broad daylight.

Reactions: StantonZ
In my opinion, this was almost the only reasonable response in this thread. The FAA is responsible for the safety of the airspace from the ground up. They have published rules to try and and maintain safety as both recreational and commercial drones operating in the airspace below 400 ft grow. In the past couple of years we've seen ignorant people operating their drones in airport landing zones, around recreational facilities, and near emergency responses, etc. These actions cause more and more regulations. I will not say that I have never flown beyond line of sight, but I try to follow all the published rules and I don't care if my drone is observed, tracked, or emitting telemetry that tells the FAA and law enforcement where it is. In most of the threads I've read, if you follow the rules, enforcement may check on you but they accept you're within the rules and leave you alone.

There's no Amendment that protects your right to fly a drone. Stay within the law and politely correct others on this forum who flaunt the drone regulations and then state they have some sort of right to privacy in the Federal air space.
The issue is jurisdiction.

Reactions: Chip
One possibility strikes me. The OP is in NYC. You never know when the LEO's in that area are keeping an eye out because of some "Tip" they received about a drone attack. That would explain an unusual interest by the Police.

How can a private US citizen find out if these "discovery" devices are being used in the area(s) they fly in?
Just assume that any major and/or International airport has that capability. Also any location with NFZ over critical infrastructures (NYC, DC, etc).

If not, isn't that defeating the purpose of UAS pilots (citizens for that matter) having the right to be made aware of measures that can be used in detecting violation of laws BEFORE it goes on record?
What right is that? That would be like asking to be aware of the locations of LE checking vehicle speeds.

If I were to know that AeroScope is being used in an area I am flying, I would surely find myself trying to be aware of all restrictions in order to keep my 107 privilege clean.
Why wouldn't you always want to be aware of any restrictions where you were flying?

Reactions: gemniii and Safet4u
Hi guys I had a run in with cops the last summer. I was out flying in Charlotte NC in the city and a cop pulled up and asked if I was flying a drone. I said yes. I told him I was just getting some pics for the skyline and the panthers stadium. After I landed, another cop on a segway pulled up and the other cop asked him if he saw the drone on some tracker. Could'nt make out the name, but they took my name and phone number and took a pic of my serial number etc under the battery. They just told me to fly los and always keep the drone in my sight.

Now yesterday I had another run in with them. I was at my studio in the parking lot waiting for my client, so I decided to do a little flight. I flew about a mile away then came back and landed. About 5 minutes later I get a call from a detective asking why I'm flying so far away and how one of his officers had already talked to me about it. I was surprised because I didnt know how they are tracking my drone.

Then I started doing some research. Turns out the drone is sending all its telemetry data to an internet website database and cops are able to access this information. Never though about this and I never fly in airplane mode.

So I will start flying in airplane mode to avoid being tracked

You must have excellent vision to be able to see the drone from a mile away. :)

How can a private US citizen find out if these "discovery" devices are being used in the area(s) they fly in?

If not, isn't that defeating the purpose of UAS pilots (citizens for that matter) having the right to be made aware of measures that can be used in detecting violation of laws BEFORE it goes on record?
If I were to know that AeroScope is being used in an area I am flying, I would surely find myself trying to be aware of all restrictions in order to keep my 107 privilege clean.
Send a public records request to the city where you live asking for the documents listed below. Most states have public records acts designed to promote government transparency and you have every right to ask for these kinds of documents:

1. All records regarding the City of _________ acquisition or purchase of any unmanned aerial vehicle or drone monitoring, tracking, or locating device.

2. All records regarding the City of __________ use of any device to locate, track or monitor unmanned aerial vehicles or drones in the city of ________.

3. All records from the FAA or any other federal agency authorizing or permitting the City of __________ to use any device to locate, track or monitor unmanned aerial vehicles or drones in the city of _______.

4. All records from the FAA or any other federal agency authorizing or permitting the City of __________to use any device to intercept wireless, radio or other electronic signal from privately owned and operated unmanned aerial vehicles or drones operated in the city of ________.

5. All non-disclosure or confidentiality agreements signed by the city of _________ with any state or federal agency or any third party regarding or relating to the deployment or use of any device to intercept wireless, radio or electronic signal from privately owned and operated unmanned aerial vehicles or drones in the city of _______.

false equivalency here: one has nothing to do with the other; monitoring traffic is NOT surveillance it is being proactive to identify hazards and correct them. with the proliferation of hobbyist drones at increasingly lower entry costs, increased traffic = increased hazards to both legit users and those that choose to remain clueless (as well as those people and things on the ground).
Would you support a DOT regulation requiring the installation of GPS trackers on all motor vehicles operated in the USA with mandatory broadcast whenever engine is switched on for government monitoring and law enforcement?

Just assume that any major and/or International airport has that capability. Also any location with NFZ over critical infrastructures (NYC, DC, etc).

What right is that? That would be like asking to be aware of the locations of LE checking vehicle speeds.

Why wouldn't you always want to be aware of any restrictions where

Why wouldn't you always want to be aware of any restrictions where you were flying?
1. Many airports are public entities. Not everyone flies near the types of airports mentioned. Why should this info if requested not be available?

2. As I said, the right to be made aware BEFORE....signs that announce that radar is being used to monitor speed limits by LE is an example of this. Isn’t this info being available before/while you are driving, better help you comply while driving? You see a sign for 45 mph and and a radar monitoring sign, people are more apt to slow down if speeding, thus making safer roads. Isn’t that the main purpose?

3. I’m gonna ignore your questioning of my character!
I do try to always be aware of restrictions when flying.. when that information is made available without secrecy. I don’t mind mentioning to other pilots when I think they may want review flight rules(ie, VLOS, over people, night flights in controlled airspace without waiver, goggles and no VO, etc). My suggestions would carry more weight if I was able to also mention that I know for certain that their actions are also being monitored by authorities. I prefer not to assume....factual, confirmed info has more clarity.

The point I’m hoping both of us are going for is safer airspace. I prefer having as much info as possible when trying to do my part.

Hi guys I had a run in with cops the last summer. I was out flying in Charlotte NC in the city and a cop pulled up and asked if I was flying a drone. I said yes. I told him I was just getting some pics for the skyline and the panthers stadium. After I landed, another cop on a segway pulled up and the other cop asked him if he saw the drone on some tracker. Could'nt make out the name, but they took my name and phone number and took a pic of my serial number etc under the battery. They just told me to fly los and always keep the drone in my sight.

Now yesterday I had another run in with them. I was at my studio in the parking lot waiting for my client, so I decided to do a little flight. I flew about a mile away then came back and landed. About 5 minutes later I get a call from a detective asking why I'm flying so far away and how one of his officers had already talked to me about it. I was surprised because I didnt know how they are tracking my drone.

Then I started doing some research. Turns out the drone is sending all its telemetry data to an internet website database and cops are able to access this information. Never though about this and I never fly in airplane mode.

I wouldn't be surprised if you get a phone call from a 704 number that is NOT the police dept. That's a highly congested area and a good portion of "Queen City" is under LAANC.

Reactions: Safet4u
There's no Amendment that protects your right to fly a drone. Stay within the law and politely correct others on this forum who flaunt the drone regulations and then state they have some sort of right to privacy in the Federal air space.
My understanding is that aircraft pilots very much believe they have right to privacy in "federal airspace" and the FAA has backed them up.
ADS-B Privacy

Excerpt:
FAA And ADS-B Privacy
FAA acknowledges the desire of some operators to limit the availability of real-time ADS-B position and identification information for a specific aircraft.

To address privacy concerns, the FAA has initiated the Privacy ICAO Address (PIA) program to improve the privacy of the following eligible aircraft:

The PIA program enables interested aircraft owners to request an alternate, temporary ICAO Address, which will not be assigned to the owner in the Civil Aviation Registry (CAR).

Related Article published by aircraft owners pilots association:

ADS-B PRIVACY NOW AVAILABLE
FAA LAUNCHES PRIVACY ICAO ADDRESS PROGRAM
December 24, 2019 By Mike Collins

The FAA’s Privacy ICAO Address (PIA) program, announced in early November, quietly went live Thursday, December 19. PIA allows aircraft operators to increase operational privacy by requesting an alternate, temporary ICAO aircraft address that is not associated with the aircraft owner in the Civil Aviation Registry.

AOPA has long supported a privacy solution for 1090ES ADS-B and has been actively involved with the FAA, NBAA, General Aviation Manufacturers Association, and others to reach this solution. “Privacy is a key issue for general aviation pilots and, as nearly 85 percent of aircraft owners are equipping with 1090-MHz ADS-B systems, it is important this effort move forward,” said Rune Duke, senior director of airspace, air traffic, and aviation security. “Work must also continue on a long-term privacy solution for ADS-B and operator data.”

1. Many airports are public entities. Not everyone flies near the types of airports mentioned. Why should this info if requested not be available?
It's a security issue. If you call up an airport and ask for a list of security measures in place, you will not get much information.
2. As I said, the right to be made aware BEFORE....signs that announce that radar is being used to monitor speed limits by LE is an example of this. Isn’t this info being available before/while you are driving, better help you comply while driving? You see a sign for 45 mph and and a radar monitoring sign, people are more apt to slow down if speeding, thus making safer roads. Isn’t that the main purpose?
I don't know where you are located, but in NY, vehicle speed checking does not require any signs that announce that speed monitoring is in place.

What is this "right to be made aware" coming from? Are you referring to any existing law or regulation?
3. I’m gonna ignore your questioning of my character!
I do try to always be aware of restrictions when flying.. when that information is made available without secrecy. I don’t mind mentioning to other pilots when I think they may want review flight rules(ie, VLOS, over people, night flights in controlled airspace without waiver, goggles and no VO, etc). My suggestions would carry more weight if I was able to also mention that I know for certain that their actions are also being monitored by authorities. I prefer not to assume....factual, confirmed info has more clarity.

The point I’m hoping both of us are going for is safer airspace. I prefer having as much info as possible when trying to do my part.
I wasn't questioning your character, that was not my intent. It was a literal question, nothing more. Do you have an example of flight restrictions that were secret or otherwise unavailable to a pilot?

Hey Vic.

Are you saying that you are only worried about complying with the law if you are likely to be caught not doing so?

Are you saying that you are only worried about complying with the law if you are likely to be caught not doing so?
I thought scoble said that he took rules very seriously and worked hard to fly safely. He thought it might be beneficial to be able to tell anyone making inquiry that his drone was registered with FAA and his flights monitored by local law enforcement. That is about as reasonable and cooperative as someone could get. He has every right to file public records request and clarify what surveillance devices, if any are being used, and under what legal authority. We are supposed to have open government here and when the government answers a question with what do you care unless you are a criminal and have something to hide, it usually does not cut the constitutional mustard.

Having said that, if I may say its good to hear from you because some were worried and about ready to send out search party. Some thought you ditched us for greener pastures of Skydio forum or something! Hope all is well in the nuclear physics business (Ive always wanted to say that and be 100% serious).

Or you could fly according to the law. Just a thought.

Here is one way to find out. Send a public records request to the city of Charlotte at the link below:

Ask for these documents:

1. All records regarding the City of Charlotte’s acquisition or purchase of any unmanned aerial vehicle or drone monitoring, tracking, or locating device.

2. All records regarding the City of Charlotte’s use of any device to locate, track or monitor unmanned aerial vehicles or drones in the city of Charlotte.

3. All records from the FAA or any other federal agency authorizing or permitting the City of Charlotte’s police department to use any device to locate, track or monitor unmanned aerial vehicles or drones in the city of Charlotte.

4. All records from the FAA or any other federal agency authorizing or permitting the City of Charlotte’s police department to use any device to intercept wireless, radio or other electronic signal from privately owned and operated unmanned aerial vehicles or drones operated in the city of Charlotte.

5. All non-disclosure or confidentiality agreements signed by the city of Charlotte with any state or federal agency or any third party regarding or relating to the deployment or use of any device to intercept wireless, radio or electronic signal from privately owned and operated unmanned aerial vehicles or drones in the city of Charlotte.
Amazingly we have such drive to enforce Law on people. Cities all across the USA are defunding police and in the City of San Diego has voted to delay law enforcement any vaccinations until lower tear levels.
and now they are stepping up the enforcement of drones? Pretty big waste of money and manpower.

hard to believe.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jw312569