DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Got a returned call from a Forest Ranger today

slozukimc

Reactions
I called the Hector Ranger District office and left a message asking about flying in the Hector Land Use Area. I got a call back about it today from a very friendly Ranger. She said their stance is that I can launch from the road and fly anywhere I can see the drone but I can not launch or land from/on Federal Property. She said, furthermore, just don’t do anything stupid because it is not like there are going to be any “drone cops” out looking to bother you. We had a good laugh at that and said our goodbyes.

What a great interaction.

Mike

Always nice to read about these kinds of interactions.

In my experience, so far anyway, when the relevant authority has seen that I have gone out of my way to either get permission or clarity about specific safety rules for certain countries, it has almost always been met with gratitude and leniency.

I called the Hector Ranger District office and left a message asking about flying in the Hector Land Use Area. I got a call back about it today from a very friendly Ranger. She said their stance is that I can launch from the road and fly anywhere I can see the drone but I can not launch or land from/on Federal Property. She said, furthermore, just don’t do anything stupid because it is not like there are going to be any “drone cops” out looking to bother you. We had a good laugh at that and said our goodbyes.

Mike
Man, that refreshing! Godspeed, Droniac

Always nice to read about these kinds of interactions.

In my experience, so far anyway, when the relevant authority has seen that I have gone out of my way to either get permission or clarity about specific safety rules for certain countries, it has almost always been met with gratitude and leniency.
Exactly. Now, seeing she is the Ranger that gets any calls that come in about someone flying a drone she will know my name and be able to tell them I am ok to be there just like I will tell anyone who says different. She was very nice and willing to explain that Hector is not a designated Wilderness area so drone flights are ok there.

We need more authorities with the same helpful attitude!

Mike

Last edited:
We need more authorities with the same helpful attitude!
I was one of those for over 20 years before I retired. Course we didn’t have drones then and just a game warden but showing respect , asking in advance and not being stupid kept many
from getting tickets. This I know more than you anybody ,attitude causes most of the issues I’ve read for years In these forums.
Sure not all in power are that way but bet most are.

I was one of those for over 20 years before I retired. Course we didn’t have drones then and just a game warden but showing respect , asking in advance and not being stupid kept many
from getting tickets. This I know more than you anybody ,attitude causes most of the issues I’ve read for years In these forums.
Sure not all in power are that way but bet most are.

Before drones? Your tickets were written on a stone tablet LOL :)

Respect and courtesy from the get-go changes the whole interaction. It's nice to get your side of the equation Dirk :)

Before drones? Your tickets were written on a stone tablet LOL :)

Respect and courtesy from the get-go changes the whole interaction. It's nice to get your side of the equation Dirk :)
No it was paper but respect got you along way. You know what I mean. Many don’t.

Mike
Do you have a link to their rules? I can't seem to find it on their site.

Reactions: GFields

Mike
Any explanation for their "stance". That appears to be regular USFS National Forest land, which is not subject to restrictions on sUAS operations.

Any explanation for their "stance". That appears to be regular USFS National Forest land, which is not subject to restrictions on sUAS operations.
Yeah, "stance" is the key word. They can't enforce a "stance". I'm dealing with this very issue for Pike National Forest for a shoot on top of Pikes Peak. Very frustrating when Ranger takes it upon themself to issue "stances".

Even though it sounds like the interaction was friendly (which is great), I'd like to see some official language that backs up this "stance".

Reactions: GFields and sar104
Yeah, "stance" is the key word. They can't enforce a "stance". I'm dealing with this very issue for Pike National Forest for a shoot on top of Pikes Peak. Very frustrating when Ranger takes it upon themself to issue "stances".

Even though it sounds like the interaction was friendly (which is great), I'd like to see some official language that backs up this "stance".
That would be nice as well. We have ONE Ranger that oversees this National Forest so having her on my side is a plus.

Mike

Reactions: Vic Moss

Vic, even though PP is physically located in the Pike NF, the city of COS has control of and responsibility of maintenance for the road and structures atop! At least that is my understanding.

Keep us posted.

Exactly. The default status of non-wilderness USFS land is that there is no prohibition on mechanized equipment, and that bicycles, drones and vehicles (subject to motorized use plans) etc. are allowed. That's well established at the federal level, and requires specific, local, federally-approved regulation to change. Individual ranger districts cannot arbitrarily decide to enforce deviations from federal policy.

Vic, even though PP is physically located in the Pike NF, the city of COS has control of and responsibility of maintenance for the road and structures atop! At least that is my understanding.

Keep us posted.
Yeah, Pikes Peak America's Mountain (PPAM) does control the road and mountain top, but we were even told by the Head Ranger that I couldn't fly outside of PPAM's area of control. And there are no written rules that says I can't.

They continually ignored my question, and they didn't bother getting back to me until I said I was flying unless they showed me where it said I couldn't. He called me in about an hour after that email.

But I'll keep you undated once I get permission.

Last edited:
Exactly. The default status of non-wilderness USFS land is that there is no prohibition on mechanized equipment, and that bicycles, drones and vehicles (subject to motorized use plans) etc. are allowed. That's well established at the federal level, and requires specific, local, federally-approved regulation to change. Individual ranger districts cannot arbitrarily decide to enforce deviations from federal policy.
That is my understanding of FS property as well - as long as it's NOT deemed a "Wilderness" you can T/O and land on said property.

It is cool that he did contact them and they did respond with a decent answer. Flying from a roadway is about the only way to fly at some FS spots, but many of our waterfalls here in Western NC are on FS land - so whacking to them and T/O and landing right there is best scenario for good pics / video and you know that all important VLOS thing.

One spot in North GA - Brasstown Bald - highest point is GA - to most think it's a no fly zone as "wilderness" surrounds the bald / VC / parking area, but the VC / parking area and road to the bald ARE NOT in the wilderness. I have not flown there yet, but several droners have talked about in on the FB pages and they thought it was a no fly. Much like the Blue Ridge Parkway - it is very narrow in most places and typically has parallel running public roadways that drone pilots can fly from and capture places like the Linn Cove Viaduct from the air in places no land photographer can get. Now I wish I could find a spot near Linnville Falls to drone it - as it's quite the feature, along with many other falls that fall within the BRP boundaries.

That applies to MOST USFS land but Hector is different. It is a multi use facility and I can tell you for sure there are NO motorized vehicles allowed off of the roads there. Hector started out as a bunch of land bought from bankrupt farmers during the depression. It has gone through a few name changes over the years and is part of the Green Mountain District if I am not mistaken.

Mike

Reactions: tlswift58
That applies to MOST USFS land but Hector is different. It is a multi use facility and I can tell you for sure there are NO motorized vehicles allowed off of the roads there. Hector started out as a bunch of land bought from bankrupt farmers during the depression. It has gone through a few name changes over the years and is part of the Green Mountain District if I am not mistaken.

Mike
Is there a link to the rule? I’d love to see how it’s worded.

Reactions: tlswift58
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom