DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Got FAA authorization to fly in the zero grid adjacent to the WV state capitol building...

BobaFut

Reactions
My first FAA authorization! I kept the request pretty modest, 150ft AGL in the zero grid over the Kanawha river between UC and the capitol. I was looking into how to get it uploaded into DJI's system, but they show the KCRW authorization zone as only extending to the northern edge of the river downtown, which is just mind-blowingly wrong. I mean, it'll make it easier for me to fly just from a DJI FLY standpoint, but uninformed flyers who rely solely on DJI's app could very easily get themselves in big trouble, given that all of downtown is zero grid and a decent amount of the south side is in a 400ft LAANC authorization zone. DJI shows this area as an "enhanced warning" zone, implying this is just Class E airspace (it's Class C) and just requiring you to acknowledge a prompt, but this is very much either a LAANC zone or a zero grid zone.

Reactions: PixelMagic
Good advice from Eagle Eye... NEVER rely on DJI for authorization. We do have to deal with DJI when their map does not allow you to fly in the area you are targeting. I check the FAA maps (and TFRs and NOTAMs) and then if necessary get LAANC approval. THEN, and only then do I access DJI flysafe to see if I need to get a code to fly. You may have to upload a copy of your LAANC approval to get the code from DJI.

Good advice from Eagle Eye... NEVER rely on DJI for authorization. We do have to deal with DJI when their map does not allow you to fly in the area you are targeting. I check the FAA maps (and TFRs and NOTAMs) and then if necessary get LAANC approval. THEN, and only then do I access DJI flysafe to see if I need to get a code to fly. You may have to upload a copy of your LAANC approval to get the code from DJI.
I mean, yes, *I* know this. My comment was more related to the fact that new drone pilots excited to film Charleston's lovely skyline and riverfront are probably just going to check DJI's app/map (which hopefully they at least do that instead of just flying willy-nilly) and assume that they're good to go. This situation was just the first time I've ever really paid much attention to DJI's maps and noticed how terrible they are.

Always check the charts before you fly. They show way more accurate restricted airspace.
Always check B4UFly, not charts. Charts are virtually pointless when it comes to airspace questions and UAS.

Always check B4UFly, not charts. Charts are virtually pointless when it comes to airspace questions and UAS.
I actually meant apps like aloft, b4ufly, etc. Not physical charts. You are right, printed charts are not accurate or current as they are not updated that regularly.

Reactions: Vic Moss
I check the sectionals, but I don't rely on them. B4UFLY won't tell you if you're flying below Class B/C airspace or what the control tower frequencies are and all that, which I like to know. Sectionals will also show you things like MTRs and low-altitude airways. Although these ostensibly don't conflict with normal UAS operations, yesterday I was flying in the vicinity of a V Route and some military UH-60s suddenly flew over nearby (on the opposite side of me from where my drone was out a ways). Although they're supposed to maintain 1200MSL, they appeared to be quite a bit lower than that and I was really relieved that I was still lower than them and not super close to their flight path

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54