DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Got yelled at and threatened today

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like if you were close enough for him to hear or see the drone, you may have been too close.
We don't all have the same definition of too close for comfort. Non drone owners will not be comfortable if they can see the drone, because they figure if they can see it, it can see them. Which isn't untrue. It doesn't matter to most people if you are getting detailed images of them, they don't want you taking ANY images of them at all.

I didn't go anywhere near buildings or houses. On top of that I was typically 250+ feet high. If he saw my drone it was a spec in the sky. And there's no way he would have heard it. I'm very self-conscious about disturbing other people.

Last edited:
Reactions: macoman
I feel like if you were close enough for him to hear or see the drone, you may have been too close.
We don't all have the same definition of too close for comfort. Non drone owners will not be comfortable if they can see the drone, because they figure if they can see it, it can see them. Which isn't untrue. It doesn't matter to most people if you are getting detailed images of them, they don't want you taking ANY images of them at all.

It's why I suggested that it's a good idea to position yourself remotely from what you're filming if you can. Doesn't take much to associate a buzzing drone with someone in the middle of a park holding a controller and peering at the sky. Don't give them that opportunity.

Reactions: Motamimi and UAVNV
I didn't go anywhere near buildings or houses. On top of that I was typically 250+ feet high. If he saw my drone it was a spec in the sky. And there's no way he would have heard it. I'm very self-conscious about disturbing other people.
All I can say is, he OBVIOUSLY either heard it or saw it. There is no other explanation to his reaction if not.
You can do whatever you want, most of us dont care because any consequences are all yours.
I was just pointing out that you might need to have a greater buffer between your drone and John Q Public to avoid further confrontations. Its up to you, of course.

All I can say is, he OBVIOUSLY either heard it or saw it. There is no other explanation to his reaction if not.
You can do whatever you want, most of us dont care because any consequences are all yours.
I was just pointing out that you might need to have a greater buffer between your drone and John Q Public to avoid further confrontations. Its up to you, of course.

I don't think he heard it. There's just no way. He must have looked out his window and saw it in the sky out in the distance.

As far as going where NO ONE could see it, not many places around here unless I drove several hours away in the middle of nowhere, and even then there's a risk a single person might see it in the sky. And is it really worth it to even own a drone anymore if I have to drive 3 hours away in the absolute middle of nowhere....maybe some farm fields but then the farmer might see it 500 feet in the distance and get angry.

Very hard to hide a drone flying high in the sky from every single person

I guess I’m fortunate. I’ve flown more than 100 hours and never had a bad reaction from spectators.

I don’t particularly like flying where people are because as a drone pilot you are vulnerable as you typically have almost zero situational awareness when it comes to personal space while piloting the aircraft. At least this is true for me.

My most popular video, with over 1 million views was filmed in a pretty rough neighborhood and it made me quite nervous. If I went back I’d prefer to bring a friend just to watch my back.

Also, I don’t particularly care what others think when it comes to a scenario such as this.

I suppose it would be prudent to capture the two of you in the frame of the video and record audio with the iPad in case it ever turned into something more than angry person spouting off. Having audio and video of the interaction Could become invaluable. It also may prove to the crazy person that you were spying. Lol

I would also do the same if dealing with law enforcement. In my experience, most cops are pretty cool but occasionally you find one that is less friendly. Having the interaction recorded may be beneficial, especially if cited.

I was flying at a very large, undeveloped empty field here in Florida with some trees. Its been empty for years. It borders a neighborhood and an apartment community which I stayed away from. Keep in mind there is no one around in this big undeveloped field except me and a little, unused road going through the edge of it. I'm flying around 150-300 feet.

I'm about 20 minutes into my flight on my 2nd battery and about to wrap it up when a car comes flying down the road. Its a man probably in his late 50's to early 60's, New York accent, and starts yelling out his window about me "spying on him" with my drone. He then pulls out his phone and starts recording me. The guy is totally going berserk, hands waving, etc. I told him I'm not doing anything wrong and am within the law. He says what I'm doing is illegal, that I'm not allowed to fly here, and keeps saying I am spying on him and his wife. At this point I'm just ignoring him. Then he says he is calling the cops.

At that point, I already landed and just packed it up and walked away. He was sitting in the car on the phone (I guess to the police). I had a conference call and didn't have time to sit around and talk to the police and this raving lunatic or to be made to show the police my entire video to prove myself innocent.

Guess that spot is ruined because this nutjob will be harassing me every time. Its getting harder and harder to find spots to fly. What is wrong with some people? Do they not have anything better to do? I'm guessing he saw my drone in the distance from his apartment and thought I must be spying in his windows with my ultra zoom X-Ray Mavic Pro lens.

probably saw something on tv that created his perception of drones.

I don't think he heard it. There's just no way. He must have looked out his window and saw it in the sky out in the distance.

As far as going where NO ONE could see it, not many places around here unless I drove several hours away in the middle of nowhere, and even then there's a risk a single person might see it in the sky. And is it really worth it to even own a drone anymore if I have to drive 3 hours away in the absolute middle of nowhere....maybe some farm fields but then the farmer might see it 500 feet in the distance and get angry.

Very hard to hide a drone flying high in the sky from every single person
What about public parks? Most of them you can fly without issues.

I fly with pepper spray clipped to my flight bag. If anyone approaches me in a hostile manner - I say in a clear and concise manner " If you approach me you will be sprayed" If they state they are calling the cops I encourage them to do so and inform them I will wait and not to approach me. I then continue to fly while positioning the camera and recording the person that has approached me in a hostile manner. Never land near the person and attempt to retrieve your drone.

There have been instances in which some of these nutjobs have grabbed one's drone and either broken it or thrown it in a body of water. If I am low battery I walk away from the person while bringing the Mavic lower and flying in the direction that I am walking and when I am sure they are not very close to it I land.

Since I am legally flying I have no need to scurry off like a kitchen cockroach when the lights are turned on.
This is exactly what you do. If you are flying legally why would you leave?

I guess I’m fortunate. I’ve flown more than 100 hours and never had a bad reaction from spectators.

I don’t particularly like flying where people are because as a drone pilot you are vulnerable as you typically have almost zero situational awareness when it comes to personal space while piloting the aircraft. At least this is true for me.

My most popular video, with over 1 million views was filmed in a pretty rough neighborhood and it made me quite nervous. If I went back I’d prefer to bring a friend just to watch my back.

Where are you located? Maybe its just my area. Lots of NE retirees here, maybe because they are older and scared of technology, and tend to believe the lies from the media, it causes anger/fear when they see a UAV flying.

This was the first confrontation in the past month but I got dirty looks from older folks before too

Where are you located? Maybe its just my area. Lots of NE retirees here, maybe because they are older and scared of technology, and tend to believe the lies from the media, it causes anger/fear when they see a UAV flying.

This was the first confrontation in the past month but I got dirty looks from older folks before too

Michigan, which is a really drone friendly state as far as laws go. We have a preemption law that keeps anyone except the legislature (and faa) from making rules regarding drones. You can fly in any public park here as long as it’s not controlled airspace.

Maybe people here are just less likely to confront someone.

Seems to me like he was spying on you first. These drones aren't that easy to see in the air and much less find the source pilot on the ground.

Reactions: Motamimi
Yeah I didn't want to escalate the situation and especially did not want to get involved with the cops and this guys delusional accusations

It just blows my mind on how on how so many people are so hostile to this hobby

Its a bummer this happened but kudos to you for keeping your cool and not escalating. One push or shove can turn into assault charge. Arguing with hot heads like this is not worth it.

Unfortunately I'm hours away from places like that. South Florida sucks for flying :(

I still try to find the most empty areas I can. I don't want to disturb people. Hence why I liked this big open field as its far enough away that people can't hear or really see it. Except for this crazy individual.

I can't wait to move. Its way too crowded down here. I can't really stand the type of people around here either. Lots of retiree busybodies who like to complain about everything. People seem much friendlier in the other southern states.

Lived in Broward Co for a few years. It is WAY to crowded down there, you’re right. Nice weather most of the time, but the cons definitely outweigh the weather being nice. Didn’t have drones when I was there but I can imagine trying to find a decent place to fly. Glad I now have 3500 open acres to fly as much as I want.IMG_0010.JPGIMG_0022.JPGIMG_0022.JPG

Reactions: Domino
I have country like that that goes for miles just two houses away from me.

I also live in South FL (Davie). Last week, my next door neighbor asked me not to fly my drone over his house. He said it bothered him. Since I never fly my drone over anyone's house, I probed a little and he said he saw it leave his property and head back over toward my house. He also said it hovered over his pool at around 30 feet and stayed there for a few minutes. I asked for details and he showed me the approximate size of the drone. I inquired about its color, and he indicated that it was white. My drone is carbon fiber wrapped and again, if I fly over someone's house, it is at least 100 feet up and I don't stop. It is only going from point A to point B. Usually I stay over the roads, but if I'm heading over to a nature preserve near my house, I go up to 100 and fly full speed over there.

That being said, I have seen a Phantom flying around 2 or 3 times in the last few weeks and am assuming it was that drone. I do not intend to stop flying, but I will continue to be 100% mindful that some folks don't care much for drones.

Reactions: Rik
I was flying at a very large, undeveloped empty field here in Florida with some trees. Its been empty for years. It borders a neighborhood and an apartment community which I stayed away from. Keep in mind there is no one around in this big undeveloped field except me and a little, unused road going through the edge of it. I'm flying around 150-300 feet.

I'm about 20 minutes into my flight on my 2nd battery and about to wrap it up when a car comes flying down the road. Its a man probably in his late 50's to early 60's, New York accent, and starts yelling out his window about me "spying on him" with my drone. He then pulls out his phone and starts recording me. The guy is totally going berserk, hands waving, etc. I told him I'm not doing anything wrong and am within the law. He says what I'm doing is illegal, that I'm not allowed to fly here, and keeps saying I am spying on him and his wife. At this point I'm just ignoring him. Then he says he is calling the cops.

At that point, I already landed and just packed it up and walked away. He was sitting in the car on the phone (I guess to the police). I had a conference call and didn't have time to sit around and talk to the police and this raving lunatic or to be made to show the police my entire video to prove myself innocent.

Guess that spot is ruined because this nutjob will be harassing me every time. Its getting harder and harder to find spots to fly. What is wrong with some people? Do they not have anything better to do? I'm guessing he saw my drone in the distance from his apartment and thought I must be spying in his windows with my ultra zoom X-Ray Mavic Pro lens.
I want an Ulra zoom X-Ray MP lens for my MP...LAMO...be safe fly safe bro craziness abounds!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929