DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Got yelled at and threatened today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I didn't want to escalate the situation and especially did not want to get involved with the cops and this guys delusional accusations

It just blows my mind on how on how so many people are so hostile to this hobby
Because of people not following the written rules..."rules are for you not me" attitude hurts us all

Last edited:
I usually bring a Hurley with me totally legal to say I was playing hurling also after the flight .. nut job approaches hes warned 2 times he dont ever remember the 3rd time lol. crazy people looking for something to complain about pal .. forget em View attachment 39905
Wahoo more violence...

Assuming it is legal to fly there, go to the police station that has jurisdiction, explain the situation, and try to get a letter from them stating that it is not illegal. Go ahead and fly and hand a copy to the nut-job if he comes out again.

The chances of this being successful are probably small, but it is worth a shot.
Sure the POLICE have nothing better to do than write you a "PERMISSION SLIP"...that's funny..lol

I was flying at a very large, undeveloped empty field here in Florida with some trees. Its been empty for years. It borders a neighborhood and an apartment community which I stayed away from. Keep in mind there is no one around in this big undeveloped field except me and a little, unused road going through the edge of it. I'm flying around 150-300 feet.

I'm about 20 minutes into my flight on my 2nd battery and about to wrap it up when a car comes flying down the road. Its a man probably in his late 50's to early 60's, New York accent, and starts yelling out his window about me "spying on him" with my drone. He then pulls out his phone and starts recording me. The guy is totally going berserk, hands waving, etc. I told him I'm not doing anything wrong and am within the law. He says what I'm doing is illegal, that I'm not allowed to fly here, and keeps saying I am spying on him and his wife. At this point I'm just ignoring him. Then he says he is calling the cops.

At that point, I already landed and just packed it up and walked away. He was sitting in the car on the phone (I guess to the police). I had a conference call and didn't have time to sit around and talk to the police and this raving lunatic or to be made to show the police my entire video to prove myself innocent.

Guess that spot is ruined because this nutjob will be harassing me every time. Its getting harder and harder to find spots to fly. What is wrong with some people? Do they not have anything better to do? I'm guessing he saw my drone in the distance from his apartment and thought I must be spying in his windows with my ultra zoom X-Ray Mavic Pro lens.

Noo Yawkers are such a treat.

Sure the POLICE have nothing better to do than write you a "PERMISSION SLIP"...that's funny..lol
I live in a small town with a friendly police force. It would be no problem for me to do this. You may be right that in a larger city it may not work.

Noo Yawkers are such a treat.

They have honestly destroyed my little beach side town. It was nice and quiet and then in the past few years they started moving here in droves....traffic, rudeness, bad driving, more laws, and they voted to raise taxes. They took over the local government and destroyed the quaintness standards they used to have when developing. It is craziness and chaos now. They're mowing down any tree/empty spot in sight to build more housing/retirement homes/medical offices. Some days I see more NY license plates than FL plates! Housing and rent prices more than doubled. Unfortunately I am renting at this time.

My town is no longer the place I love anymore so I am looking to move to Georgia (outside Savannah) now.

My apologies to any of the good New Yorkers on here lol

Last edited:
Lived in Broward Co for a few years. It is WAY to crowded down there, you’re right. Nice weather most of the time, but the cons definitely outweigh the weather being nice. Didn’t have drones when I was there but I can imagine trying to find a decent place to fly. Glad I now have 3500 open acres to fly as much as I want.
img_0010-jpg.39942
View attachment 39942View attachment 39943View attachment 39943

That looks so great and peaceful. I really yearn for wide open spaces and peace. I'm tired of dealing with traffic and rude people.

It just like my dog barks at everyone walk pass thinking he own the street, don’t confront, just walk away

Reactions: Yoda007
All I can say is, he OBVIOUSLY either heard it or saw it. There is no other explanation to his reaction if not.
You can do whatever you want, most of us dont care because any consequences are all yours.
I was just pointing out that you might need to have a greater buffer between your drone and John Q Public to avoid further confrontations. Its up to you, of course.
More likely he saw the operator with a remote control in his hands. It doesn't take much to extrapolate.

Unfortunately I'm hours away from places like that. South Florida sucks for flying :(

I still try to find the most empty areas I can. I don't want to disturb people. Hence why I liked this big open field as its far enough away that people can't hear or really see it. Except for this crazy individual.

I can't wait to move. Its way too crowded down here. I can't really stand the type of people around here either. Lots of retiree busybodies who like to complain about everything. People seem much friendlier in the other southern states.
I live in the Daytona area and fly the beaches all the time, never had an incident like yours, 99% of the time are curious onlookers and kids (future drone pilots).

Reactions: Gumby
I fly with pepper spray clipped to my flight bag. If anyone approaches me in a hostile manner - I say in a clear and concise manner " If you approach me you will be sprayed" If they state they are calling the cops I encourage them to do so and inform them I will wait and not to approach me. I then continue to fly while positioning the camera and recording the person that has approached me in a hostile manner. Never land near the person and attempt to retrieve your drone.

There have been instances in which some of these nutjobs have grabbed one's drone and either broken it or thrown it in a body of water. If I am low battery I walk away from the person while bringing the Mavic lower and flying in the direction that I am walking and when I am sure they are not very close to it I land.

Since I am legally flying I have no need to scurry off like a kitchen cockroach when the lights are turned on.
I fly with a 9mm on my hip. Someone approached me or my property in a hostile / threatening manner I WILL STAND MY GROUND! A privilege of living in Florida.

I fly with a 9mm on my hip. Someone approached me or my property in a hostile / threatening manner I WILL STAND MY GROUND! A privilege of living in Florida.

Which the transplants are trying desperately to take away so they can harass and assault us freely

Reactions: Aran and The Raven
I've never had an issue until recently when I was approached by some claiming to work for the local pack district. He said that I cant fly in any of the city's parks and spouted some BS about the FAA etc. I was 99% sure he was wrong but I just thanked him for correcting me and landed. I had already previously checked the park districts website and rules as well as city ordinances and found nothing. This time I emailed the city administrator and asked, he copied the police chief and city attorney who both confirmed there were no issues flying in the city parks. I printed both and put them in my bag. With two parks within walking distance of my house it makes it very easy to fly and no one has bothered me over the last few years. I look forward to seeing this imposter again and hope I never have to deal with a true nutcase.

Reactions: drakkor and Drgnfli
I was flying at a very large, undeveloped empty field here in Florida with some trees. Its been empty for years. It borders a neighborhood and an apartment community which I stayed away from. Keep in mind there is no one around in this big undeveloped field except me and a little, unused road going through the edge of it. I'm flying around 150-300 feet.

I'm about 20 minutes into my flight on my 2nd battery and about to wrap it up when a car comes flying down the road. Its a man probably in his late 50's to early 60's, New York accent, and starts yelling out his window about me "spying on him" with my drone. He then pulls out his phone and starts recording me. The guy is totally going berserk, hands waving, etc. I told him I'm not doing anything wrong and am within the law. He says what I'm doing is illegal, that I'm not allowed to fly here, and keeps saying I am spying on him and his wife. At this point I'm just ignoring him. Then he says he is calling the cops.

At that point, I already landed and just packed it up and walked away. He was sitting in the car on the phone (I guess to the police). I had a conference call and didn't have time to sit around and talk to the police and this raving lunatic or to be made to show the police my entire video to prove myself innocent.

Guess that spot is ruined because this nutjob will be harassing me every time. Its getting harder and harder to find spots to fly. What is wrong with some people? Do they not have anything better to do? I'm guessing he saw my drone in the distance from his apartment and thought I must be spying in his windows with my ultra zoom X-Ray Mavic Pro lens.

He must have been up to something and thought you’d caught him red handed that’s why he was red faced

I fly with pepper spray clipped to my flight bag. If anyone approaches me in a hostile manner - I say in a clear and concise manner " If you approach me you will be sprayed"

Thank you, that's a great idea.

If they state they are calling the cops I encourage them to do so and inform them I will wait...

THIS!!! If you aren't doing anything wrong then don't let them chase you off! DO however be polite.

Since I am legally flying I have no need to scurry off like a kitchen cockroach when the lights are turned on.

If you are certain you aren't doing anything wrong, don't let them chase you off. It's not like we have an unlimited amount of space that we're allowed to fly in already :)

Assuming it is legal to fly there, go to the police station that has jurisdiction, explain the situation, and try to get a letter from them stating that it is not illegal. Go ahead and fly and hand a copy to the nut-job if he comes out again.

The chances of this being successful are probably small, but it is worth a shot.

Wouldn't hurt to contact the authority that has jurisdiction (city, county, whatever) and explain what happened. I wouldn't confront the guy, I'd let the cops do it. If the guy is that outraged, then they are better equipped to deal with it. I feel bad because I think it's a waste of their time but you have to protect yourself legally.

Reactions: Drgnfli
It doesn't matter to most people if you are getting detailed images of them, they don't want you taking ANY images of them at all.

Then maybe they shouldn't step outside their door!!! If they are that concerned about people getting images, then drones are the least of their concerns...

Why should responsible drone owners have to give up their legal activities for the outraged and paranoid?

Reactions: Drgnfli and macoman
I fly with pepper spray clipped to my flight bag. If anyone approaches me in a hostile manner - I say in a clear and concise manner " If you approach me you will be sprayed" If they state they are calling the cops I encourage them to do so and inform them I will wait and not to approach me. I then continue to fly while positioning the camera and recording the person that has approached me in a hostile manner. Never land near the person and attempt to retrieve your drone.

There have been instances in which some of these nutjobs have grabbed one's drone and either broken it or thrown it in a body of water. If I am low battery I walk away from the person while bringing the Mavic lower and flying in the direction that I am walking and when I am sure they are not very close to it I land.

Not disagreeing your tactics but how many times have you found yourself in this situation?

Where are you located? Maybe its just my area. Lots of NE retirees here, maybe because they are older and scared of technology, and tend to believe the lies from the media, it causes anger/fear when they see a UAV flying.

This was the first confrontation in the past month but I got dirty looks from older folks before too

Then maybe Central Florida NE retirees are just different... The only "run-in" I've had was with a mid-40's guy who from what I hear from my other neighbors who have all be cool with the drone has been a jerk to them on other things too... Some people just need to let go of their outrage :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flyingthe405