DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Got yelled at and threatened today

Status
Not open for further replies.
I fly with a 9mm on my hip. Someone approached me or my property in a hostile / threatening manner I WILL STAND MY GROUND! A privilege of living in Florida.
oh wow

Reactions: kyle mavic
I fly with a 9mm on my hip. Someone approached me or my property in a hostile / threatening manner I WILL STAND MY GROUND! A privilege of living in Florida.
George Zimmerman thought the same thing... How'd it turn out for him?

As a fellow gun owner in FL I think this is just irresponsible, trouble waiting to happen, and makes the rest of us look bad. While you currently have the right to do it, that doesn't make it right. And I'm not sure you have the right you might think in a situation where you could have gotten in the car and left. Certainly the OP doesn't describe that kind of situation.

As I stated in a previous reply, we shouldn't be made to leave if we aren't doing anything illegal, but it's just not worth it. As my CWP instructor told our class, if you shoot someone even if you are in the right and it's justifiable, you'll be looking at a minimum of $10k in lawyers fees.

If you haven't already done it, I'd suggest reading "Florida Firearms Law, Use and Ownership"

As a fellow gun owner in FL I think this is just irresponsible, trouble waiting to happen, and makes the rest of us look bad. While you currently have the right to do it, that doesn't make it right. And I'm not sure you have the right you might think in a situation where you could have gotten in the car and left. Certainly the OP doesn't describe that kind of situation.

As I stated in a previous reply, we shouldn't be made to leave if we aren't doing anything illegal, but it's just not worth it. As my CWP instructor told our class, if you shoot someone even if you are in the right and it's justifiable, you'll be looking at a minimum of $10k in lawyers fees.

If you haven't already done it, I'd suggest reading "Florida Firearms Law, Use and Ownership"
The first rule about getting out of trouble is to not put yourself into trouble in the first place.

I have US Law Shield which provides insurance for legal costs over a justified self-defense shooting

Obviously, if the nutjob pulled a gun on me or came at me with a knife I would be justified to use deadly force to defend myself

I agree though in pulling a firearm just because someone approaches you in a "hostile manner" is not grounds enough. Making a decision to take a life is not something to be taken lightly and something that I've given a lot of thought to as a long-time CCW holder. I am well-trained and very familiar with my weapon. Just like flying a drone, I would not want to hurt the 2A community as I would not want to hurt the drone community as in flying recklessly.

That said -- I did not fear for my life at all during this encounter as wacky as this guy was. I just left.

Last edited:
Then best to never leave the house. Sometimes you never know when trouble will approach you.
That isn't true at all. Your extreme argument is a house of cards. I consider that a knee jerk reaction to a reasonable statement.

FLORIDA STATE PRISON has a lot of inmates that had CWP and thought the same thing...just saying

Reactions: Rik and Eddington
lads it went from a problem with a person and a drone to carrying a gun WTF just happenned to our world at all .. jeez

I don't know, lads, while we were over here peacefully carrying our pistols, someone blew up the Europa lobby again.

Reactions: Irish-apple
They have honestly destroyed my little beach side town. It was nice and quiet and then in the past few years they started moving here in droves....traffic, rudeness, bad driving, more laws, and they voted to raise taxes. They took over the local government and destroyed the quaintness standards they used to have when developing. It is craziness and chaos now. They're mowing down any tree/empty spot in sight to build more housing/retirement homes/medical offices. Some days I see more NY license plates than FL plates! Housing and rent prices more than doubled. Unfortunately I am renting at this time.

My town is no longer the place I love anymore so I am looking to move to Georgia (outside Savannah) now.

My apologies to any of the good New Yorkers on here lol

Leftists are like locusts. They destroy their home, move somewhere nice, and immediately set to turning it into the feces hole they just left.

Then maybe Central Florida NE retirees are just different... The only "run-in" I've had was with a mid-40's guy who from what I hear from my other neighbors who have all be cool with the drone has been a jerk to them on other things too... Some people just need to let go of their outrage :)

Outrage and mouthiness are central parts of the NY character. You'd have as much luck asking a cheetah to stop eating impalas.

Reactions: Eddington
QuadKid, I respectfully implore you to study and KNOW Florida statute 776.013 (stupidly labeled the “stand your ground” law imo). It absolutely does not apply to a scenario of someone out in public flying their quadcopter in a park. Regardless, someone walking up to me while I’m flying my Mavic, no matter how angry they are, does not constitute a threat of death or severe bodily harm (which is the legal standard for someone to use deadly force).

I'm a Canadian in Canada so a hand gun here is next to impossible to own legally. I carry a banana cream pie with me whenever I'm out flying. If I get attacked I can throw the pie in his face to hasten my retreat :D

This is a site for drone conversation let's get off the pros and cons of guns...surprised the moderator hasn't removed it yet
While I believe there are many analogous legal and social connections between firearms and drones in the US that should be allowed to be discussed here, in the context of concealed carry I tend to agree with your statement above Classic

I tase anyone that gets hostile with me— works every time

I was flying at a very large, undeveloped empty field here in Florida with some trees. Its been empty for years. It borders a neighborhood and an apartment community which I stayed away from. Keep in mind there is no one around in this big undeveloped field except me and a little, unused road going through the edge of it. I'm flying around 150-300 feet.

I'm about 20 minutes into my flight on my 2nd battery and about to wrap it up when a car comes flying down the road. Its a man probably in his late 50's to early 60's, New York accent, and starts yelling out his window about me "spying on him" with my drone. He then pulls out his phone and starts recording me. The guy is totally going berserk, hands waving, etc. I told him I'm not doing anything wrong and am within the law. He says what I'm doing is illegal, that I'm not allowed to fly here, and keeps saying I am spying on him and his wife. At this point I'm just ignoring him. Then he says he is calling the cops.

At that point, I already landed and just packed it up and walked away. He was sitting in the car on the phone (I guess to the police). I had a conference call and didn't have time to sit around and talk to the police and this raving lunatic or to be made to show the police my entire video to prove myself innocent.

Guess that spot is ruined because this nutjob will be harassing me every time. Its getting harder and harder to find spots to fly. What is wrong with some people? Do they not have anything better to do? I'm guessing he saw my drone in the distance from his apartment and thought I must be spying in his windows with my ultra zoom X-Ray Mavic Pro lens.
It wouldn't be ruined for me. If I liked the spot, i'd go back. If I was flying responsibly and not causing an issue, no moron is going to ruin things for me. I'd call the cops on him for harassing me when i'm trying to mind my own business and enjoy my day! I also always have a can of mace in my truck in case I need it. I've seen the videos of drone pilots getting physically assaulted.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Britt