DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Got yelled at and threatened today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly once.

Remember - Having pepper spray displayed in a prominent place on ones person is a deterrent to violence and not a provocation. If someone takes it as a provocation then it is that person that is going to be gasping for breath and crying like a baby. I hold my breath and move quickly from the spot. :)

Flying over a local parks baseball field outfield . All the kids on the team doing "infield " practice could not keep thier eyes off the drone and that infuriated the manager. Manager decides to storm over - I mock him by storming towards him across the field using the same body language and stride. He did not like it at all. I told him there are no rules or regulations prohibiting flight in this park (I had checked beforehand) The outfield was essentially stretching the entire park and I was in no way shape or form flying over people or personal property. Manager kept yelling and yelled " take a swing" I replied " Ive got a drone and controller in my hands and have way to much to loose" . " I could give you some spice to go with your spicy attitude though" I looked at my canister intentionally as did he.

In this case I broke my own rule as I had not created it yet. Never land and hold your drone. Instead get a nice vantage point of the situation and parties involved and film, film , film. Even if the cops DO show up film , film ,film until instructed to no longer do so.

The other event did not escalate. Flying at a local Tahoe Point of interest. I was down a trail on the weekend. Sightseers were up above at the look out point. Some Douche kept yelling to the crowd. "Hey theres my drone" I yelled " Then why dont you come down here and get it" . Then a few minutes later "Hey theres my drone" Same response from me. He left after that.

There is about a 10:1 ratio of cool people to douches when flying drones.

Loved your line, "In this case I broke my own rule as I had not created it yet."

Reactions: BD0G
Loved your line, "In this case I broke my own rule as I had not created it yet."
im amazed that everyone here is a expert on all the rules,dont see so many pro's at one place at any given time.:D

Nebraska isnt one of those states then. I have a friend that is a process server. He gets maced a few times a year, every time has resulted in the sprayer going to jail. No verbal assault requires ANY kind of physical response.
unless of course, your income stems from telling people something different. :D

Run your manpleaser all you want, but when you try to lay hands on me for any reason, you’ll be lucky if a faceful of OC is all you get.

im amazed that everyone here is a expert on all the rules,dont see so many pro's at one place at any given time.:D

Most people, here or anywhere else, aren’t experts at conflict management and interpersonal violence.

I was flying at a very large, undeveloped empty field here in Florida with some trees. Its been empty for years. It borders a neighborhood and an apartment community which I stayed away from. Keep in mind there is no one around in this big undeveloped field except me and a little, unused road going through the edge of it. I'm flying around 150-300 feet.

I'm about 20 minutes into my flight on my 2nd battery and about to wrap it up when a car comes flying down the road. Its a man probably in his late 50's to early 60's, New York accent, and starts yelling out his window about me "spying on him" with my drone. He then pulls out his phone and starts recording me. The guy is totally going berserk, hands waving, etc. I told him I'm not doing anything wrong and am within the law. He says what I'm doing is illegal, that I'm not allowed to fly here, and keeps saying I am spying on him and his wife. At this point I'm just ignoring him. Then he says he is calling the cops.

At that point, I already landed and just packed it up and walked away. He was sitting in the car on the phone (I guess to the police). I had a conference call and didn't have time to sit around and talk to the police and this raving lunatic or to be made to show the police my entire video to prove myself innocent.

Guess that spot is ruined because this nutjob will be harassing me every time. Its getting harder and harder to find spots to fly. What is wrong with some people? Do they not have anything better to do? I'm guessing he saw my drone in the distance from his apartment and thought I must be spying in his windows with my ultra zoom X-Ray Mavic Pro lens.
That kinda crap has happened to me before under different circumstances... There are people out there who love to get others in trouble over nothing putting blame on ya...America is getting worse everyday with all the whiners and people that have no life so all they can do is get in other peoples business and they will try to do anything to get you in trouble.... Whatever happened to the days when that kinda stuff dident happen? America is becoming a ***** country.

Reactions: Drgnfli
Pepper spraying someone is not, in fact, assault in most free states in the US. In fact, it is considered a lower level of force than laying hands on someone...-your friendly local use-of-force escalation instructor, POST certified.

What is your definition of "laying hands on someone" as used in this sentence?

Pepper spraying someone is not, in fact, assault in most free states in the US. In fact, it is considered a lower level of force than laying hands on someone...-your friendly local use-of-force escalation instructor, POST certified.

Is this what you mean Raven by POST certified? Are you currently in law enforcement?

When an individual is certified as a peace officer, it means that they meet the requirements set up under POST, including successful completion of a training academy provided by a law enforcement, police or correctional POST-approved training center.

Pepper spray is advised as the first option to self defense. Second is a stun gun / Taser. Followed by a gun. I learned this in my very first gun safety course.
In my state - Nevada it is perfectly legal to carry pepper spray either open carry or concealed without a permit or license.
Felons and minors are prohibited from possessing pepper spray and one cannot carry more than 2 ounces and it must be in an aerosol form.

I meet every single one of these criteria and have been carrying for years. Only time I had to use it was on a vicious dog and let me tell you thats when I learned not to be downwind.

I dont mean to come off as an internet badass because we all know there are lots of keyboard warriors.
I just wanted to identify and suggest a non-lethal method of resolving situations in which one is in imminent danger from a person not of sound judgement and who appears very hostile that approaches you when enjoying ones passion for flying a drone in a safe and legal manner. Many times producing the canister with the nozzle pointing in anothers general direction diffuses the situation.

So are we to forget the latest catch phrase of: See something, spray something? Or not? :rolleyes:

I don't think I would want pepper spray anywhere near my drone. With my luck I would get it in it's forward vision system sensors and then where would I be?:(

Last edited:
Reactions: BD0G
Is this what you mean Raven by POST certified? Are you currently in law enforcement?

When an individual is certified as a peace officer, it means that they meet the requirements set up under POST, including successful completion of a training academy provided by a law enforcement, police or correctional POST-approved training center.

Did I stutter?

What is your definition of "laying hands on someone" as used in this sentence?

Breaking it down Barney-style for internet lawyers: touching someone is a higher level of physical force than pepper spraying them. That’s a legal fact in most non-northeastern states. If someone is yelling at you and approaching you in a threatening manner, it’s totally appropriate to verbally warn them not to come any closer, then hose them down if they don’t comply.

I’m not getting in an internet legal nit-picking battle with you. What I’ve stated is the law in nearly every non-northeastern state in the US.

Dismissed.

Ok NOW we are talking about touching or laying hands on......... that is a horse of a different color
Nice save. Non lethal force is acceptable if they get “physical” first. If there is no physical contact then it is not warranted.

Ok NOW we are talking about touching or laying hands on......... that is a horse of a different color
Nice save. Non lethal force is acceptable if they get “physical” first. If there is no physical contact then it is not warranted.

Nope. You don’t have to wait for someone to hit you to spray them. If you come running up to me yelling “I’m going to kick your ***,” i can spray you before you hit me.

Reactions: BD0G and Yoda007

You don’t read very well, do you?

Reactions: BD0G and Qoncussion
Nope. You don’t have to wait for someone to hit you to spray them. If you come running up to me yelling “I’m going to kick your ***,” i can spray you before you hit me.
Not where I live. Self defense spays are considered weapons. They can’t be used until there has been physical contact. Same with tasers and rubber bullets. Police can’t even use any non- lethal weapons until there has been physical contact. I dont care if you believe it or not, but that’s how it is in at least a few states in the Midwest. I can’t speak for every state like you think you can.

You should probably take a deep breath, you seem like you could be the agreesor in any situation. Lay off the international slams. Australia is a great country. :D

Reactions: getitinwriting
Not where I live. Self defense spays are considered weapons. They can’t be used until there has been physical contact. Same with tasers and rubber bullets. Police can’t even use any non- lethal weapons until there has been physical contact. I dont care if you believe it or not, but that’s how it is in at least a few states in the Midwest. I can’t speak for every state like you think you can.

Once again you have reading comprehension problems. I didn’t say ALL states. And I guarantee you that a taser is lower on the force continuum than hands on in your state.

As for baton rounds (what you called “rubber bullets, proving you don’t know what you’re talking about), they’re less lethal, not nonlethal.

You’re like the guy who goes to a surgeon and tells him how to do surgery based on **** you learned from watching Grey’s Anatomy. You should stop talking, you’re embarrassing yourself and your knowledge level is so low you don’t even know it.

And perhaps you should calm down yourself, little guy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d