DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

GPS Coordinates For Search & Rescue

skysthelimit

Reactions
This weekend I sent a polite but firm message to DJI that GPS Coordinates are a must have for pilots using DJI products for Search and Rescue. I received a reply within a few hours from 'K' and was told that they would personally request this with the engineers for the next Go App update. (Simple enough to add coordinates as either a C button option on main screen or always show on Map). I was told they recognize the important role DJI could play in Search and Rescue operations so maybe they will finally get this implemented in the Go App. If it isn't in the next update then I guess they are just blowin smoke, but it would be to their advantage marketing-wise to showcase DJI products used in active SAR operations. We'll see...

Great Idea.

Hope they get it done. Data is already being logged. You can go thru flight records to see your coordinates, too. But, having it LIVE onscreen would be the bomb! Even embedding on the screen of photos taken! You could screen shot your iPad, too!
Thanks for hitting them up~

Reactions: Craig Colson
This weekend I sent a polite but firm message to DJI that GPS Coordinates are a must have for pilots using DJI products for Search and Rescue. I received a reply within a few hours from 'K' and was told that they would personally request this with the engineers for the next Go App update. (Simple enough to add coordinates as either a C button option on main screen or always show on Map). I was told they recognize the important role DJI could play in Search and Rescue operations so maybe they will finally get this implemented in the Go App. If it isn't in the next update then I guess they are just blowin smoke, but it would be to their advantage marketing-wise to showcase DJI products used in active SAR operations. We'll see...
I use our fire departments drone for SAR ops. Noticed right away the lack of GPS details while flying, looking and finding someone. A way around this is to find the GPS coordinates by using Find My Drone on the main screen of the app. You have to exit out of flying mode, while hovering over a target, but you will have the GPS coordinates on the screen.

Krg281

Reactions: BigAl07

KUDOS to you for thinking and trying to get this done. Unfortunately DJI has known about this "Urgent Need" for a few years now. It would be SUPER easy to do and most likely just a "Switch" to turn on. As noted the DATA is already there and being logged so it just needs to be displayed.

Here are my 2 cents on it....

A) We've asked for it several times (even had a US DJI Rep Romeo Durscher request it "up the ladder") and it always seems to just fall on deaf ears. Seems like they most likely don't want nor intend to make this happen in the DJI Go Ap.

B) DJI seems to be migrating more and more resources over the their Enterprise platforms and it just so happens those platforms have an interface that COINCIDENTALLY has GPS coordinates displayed on the screen by default.

C) If they added it to the DJI Go app it "might" be a deciding factor for someone trying to decide which aircraft system to get for their sUAS Public Safety Dept and their margins are much better on their Public Safety systems than standard off-the-shelf consumer systems.

D) I would LOVE To be wrong and see this implemented ASAP to the DJI Go App but I'd almost bet $$ it's not going to happen.... but I'd be HAPPY to be wrong here.

If someone is into SAR, try out Tag Pilot.
More info (here)

I'm DLing it now. Might have to give it a whirl this evening.

Thanks for the info sir.
Allen

Reactions: Keule
use litchi but remember dji care is useless with any 3rd party program i do use litchi becuase other wise my drones would not be effective for my use

use litchi but remember dji care is useless with any 3rd party program i do use litchi becuase other wise my drones would not be effective for my use

I'm pretty sure that's been disproven several times.

If DJI determines that the 3rd party app is the reason for the crash then they will deny warranty but many have gotten warranty with using 3rd party apps.

One caveat is 3rd parties may not produce LOGS that are in depth enough to determine cause/blame and if that is the case, once again DJI may deny the claim.

An outright Litchi Denial is not an accurate statement.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mini2boost