DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

GPS Locators

SXViper03

Reactions
I have a question regarding attaching GPS locators to your drone. Why is this needed? If you go into the DJI Go app you can look at the flight log and get the last GPS coordinate your drone recorded, you out that coordinate into Google Maps and it will take you to the drone. I also believe there is a function in the DJI Go app called Find My Drone?

The DJI GO app will only show you the last coordinates sent from the drone to your remote controller. If your drone continues to fly after that point, it could be long ways away from that location. Since a GPS tracker has its own power source, it'll continue to run and broadcast its location until its battery is depleted.

So the GPS coordinates are not live as it flies.....the drone only sends it's coordinates periodically? I was thinking when it lands the GPS was updated.

So the GPS coordinates are not live as it flies.....the drone only sends it's coordinates periodically? I was thinking when it lands the GPS was updated.
Re-read msinger's post. If the connection to the RC is lost that means there is no update on the RC. The most you will get is a place to start looking. I have not used it but I believe that the Find My Drone app also requires a connection to the Mavic to accurately locate it.

Another advantage of a independent GPS locator is that it is not uncommon for a Mavic battery to pop out in a crash ending any possibility for RC connection. If the GPS locator survives the crash you have a second chance to get it back.

The way I talk you would think I have one, but I don't. I always try to keep my MP in sight when I fly.

I have not used it but I believe that the Find My Drone app also requires a connection to the Mavic to accurately locate it.
It doesn't require a connection to see the last known location (since that's pulled from the local flight log). However, you will need to be connected to the drone in order to make the ESCs beep or flash the LEDs.

I have a question regarding attaching GPS locators to your drone. Why is this needed? If you go into the DJI Go app you can look at the flight log and get the last GPS coordinate your drone recorded, you out that coordinate into Google Maps and it will take you to the drone. I also believe there is a function in the DJI Go app called Find My Drone?
I'll answer that with a scenario. Your drone flies out of range and continues flying, where is it? You are forced to land somewhere due to low battery but have a signal all the way until the landing finishes, and then the drone shuts down. I come by, pick it up and walk away with it as you make your way to the coordinates on the app. Where is it? Drone loses power mid-flight at 400 feet altitude while going 45 mph. Where is it?

Can you tell me? :)

Any recommendations on inexpensive GPS
I'll answer that with a scenario. Your drone flies out of range and continues flying, where is it? You are forced to land somewhere due to low battery but have a signal all the way until the landing finishes, and then the drone shuts down. I come by, pick it up and walk away with it as you make your way to the coordinates on the app. Where is it? Drone loses power mid-flight at 400 feet altitude while going 45 mph. Where is it?

Can you tell me? :)

1st scenario is a bad one Cyber....why you ask? Because if you come up and walk away with it I'm sure you will notice upon further examination of the drone there is a GPS tracker attached to it at which point you remove it promptly and throw it in the woods. :)
As far as the drone losing power mid-flight at 400 feet while doing 45 mph I can see your point.
Do you have a tracker on yours? If so what are you using?

You can find some commonly used GPS trackers here.

GPS trackers aren't inexpensive since they all come with monthly/yearly fees. If a tracker that works via a radio signal is an option, the Marco Polo tracker is a great option since it has no fees after you buy it.

Last edited:

1st scenario is a bad one Cyber....why you ask? Because if you come up and walk away with it I'm sure you will notice upon further examination of the drone there is a GPS tracker attached to it at which point you remove it promptly and throw it in the woods. :)
As far as the drone losing power mid-flight at 400 feet while doing 45 mph I can see your point.
Do you have a tracker on yours? If so what are you using?

I use a trackimo.

Reactions: HVYMTL
I’ve got several trackers from Milwaukee that were made to track equipment, they seemed work fine with an internal power source, I’ve walked up to within two foot of one my son threw out the truck window last year and didn’t see it because it’s about the size of a fifty cent piece LoL!

I'm using GPS/GSM tracker TK-102 (some china brand), price = $10 (china) to $30 (local stores). Yes it needs GSM coverage and to buy local SIM card when I travel, but it works fine...

IF the drone stays where it is when it loses power.

Reactions: laurenholloway
yeah i agree. built-in gps are dependent to drone's battery. once the drone is out, there is no way to track it nonetheless if the drone already fell and record its location

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78