DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

GPS related crash?

Thanks a lot...

I don't remember pulling the left stick

OK, I'll admit, it was poor flying, and shortly after taking off, I regretted it. I rarely use the RTH button, but was contemplating it, at the time of the crash.

If I may interject here, as I recall, I regretted taking off, after realising that the landscape I had hoped to photograph, was utterly black, and unlit (night flight, in the morning the early hours, in the middle of nowhere), but the landing was going to be tricky.

I'd brought it closer and down, and was contemplating RTH when it became obvious it wasn't airborne anymore.

I fully accept it was piss poor flying, I admit I'd lost sight of it, even relatively close, I'm just glad that a) it was hardly damaged, and b) I don't have mechanical issues with the motors.

I struggle to believe I held the left stick down, and explain this by the fact that it is 30C here, at night, while my drone and controller are 10 degrees lower, spending their non flying time in a temperature controlled room. I suspect condensation played its part, in making undesirous electrical contact. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it :)

Unfortunately that was unquestionably stick input. The stick values are smooth and consistent at the end:

sticks.png

That's clearly full down throttle - not electrical noise. In any case - the sticks use a Hall Effect sensor, not a potentiometer. The other obvious comment is that you appear to use both your sticks as 4-way switches - either on or off:

sticks_full.png

I'd suggest trying more progressive control of the aircraft.

This is your vertical profile at the end of the flight:

Climb.png

Reactions: Pietros and Valdez
You can ease into stick inputs by giving the sticks just a little movement. SAR104's comment made me laugh as you "fly your drone like you stole it"
Either full sticks or nothing for you! LOL

Practice , practice practice . Try some really slow and controlled flight where you are just creeping along and then yaw left and right as slowly as you can. While fast flight movements are exhilarating they tend to not produce fluid and smooth cinematic shots. Anyone can hammer a stick forward or backward on a remote controller. The real trick is to get to the point where you have very precise stick control. When you get stressed and are worried about what to do next just pause with no stick input with the Mavic in view. Then decide and execute your chosen maneuver.

Its great that you own this as the flight logs dont lie. Some would try and blame it on other factor s besides making poor flying decisions. Heck we have all made them multiple times.

Were here to help and not criticize (well maybe a little) LOL.

Reactions: vail

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flyingthe405