DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

GPS Tracking device

Right off the bat, please know I'm new in this world and am having a blast with my initial flights. My biggest fear is a fly away. Boy, I love the idea of the Marco Polo, but the extra cash isn't there right now (even knowing the limitations of gps trackers that require cell service). A family member bought me a Spytec STI GL 300 after doing some research on-line. After reading some posts here I'm a little worried a tracking device will cause a flight challenge due to interference. Any truth to that? And suggestions for placement if I keep with this tracker? Strong Velcro on the top of the battery?

Jeff,

I'm using 3M re-close fasteners and mounting my Marco Polo on the battery. Each battery needs its own strip. on my other birds I'm typically using Velcro and a zip tie or two but that won't work on the Mavic battery. These re-close fasteners kind of snap into place. They go on and off easier but a hard crash/bump may knock it off. I figure if it does, the bird should be close by.

Jerry

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002PATJNW/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Reactions: Jeff Brown
Tested my new Marco Polo (Santa :) ) in the park today. Had my wife hide the tag in the weeds 1/3 mile away somewhere in the park. The tracker brought me right to it in no time, takes a little practice to use it to good effect, will also find the tag if it's on a ledge or in a tree. No GPS pr phone needed and the best part is it will fit in my bag. Was going to put the tag on the battery, but didn't like the idea of having to switch it out every battery change (I fly 4 most times) so I put it on the front. The MP works best up close when the tag antenna is vertical, at distance it doesn't matter. Industrial Velcro seems to work very well. If you get one I suggest you practice with it a good bit before you might actually need it, it can track up to 3 tags, and if your friend has one he can also help you look by transferring the tag ID to his tracker, making it much faster to locate the tag, cool idea. The tracker is as wide as the Mavic, and half as long, lucky for me I am using a sling bag and there is room for it.
IMG_1661.jpg IMG_1660.jpg

Reactions: JtrJr
I know it may be a little large but how about the Spy Tech?? The $25 a month smarts but you can activate and deactivate at any time and if you just used it over places you would never find it if it went down ...well, might be good insurance. When I'm in the mountains and over water ... I would activate. At home in the pasture ... no. I would be especially nice to have during the first few months.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JG8KCLO?psc=1

I know it may be a little large but how about the Spy Tech?? The $25 a month smarts but you can activate and deactivate at any time and if you just used it over places you would never find it if it went down ...well, might be good insurance. When I'm in the mountains and over water ... I would activate. At home in the pasture ... no. I would be especially nice to have during the first few months.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JG8KCLO?psc=1
WOW!! 5.4 x 1.9 x 2.2 inches, where you going to put it, it's huge.

Don't have my Mavic yet so I'm not sure ... perhaps Velcrod' to the battery? I saw a demo of a Mavic lifting a large plastic water bottle ... so the weight is not a problem. This would probably be a temp thing until I knew what I was doing.

Another possibility is at the rear of the Mavic.
WOW!! 5.4 x 1.9 x 2.2 inches, where you going to put it, it's huge.
Actually that is the shipping box size .... why they never put the true dimensions in the ad I'll never know, but the actual size is GL-300 is 2.6 inches x 1.57 inches x .82 inches

Another possibility is at the rear of the Mavic.

Actually that is the shipping box size .... why they never put the true dimensions in the ad I'll never know, but the actual size is GL-300 is 2.6 inches x 1.57 inches x .82 inches
OK, that's much better, but still pretty big.

Reactions: grizzard
I agree ... funny ... the site says 2" but the pic compares to the size of a battery? In any case, peace of mind at least for the 1st year.
upload_2016-12-27_20-10-54.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-12-27_20-6-56.png
    upload_2016-12-27_20-6-56.png
    456.5 KB · Views: 79
  • upload_2016-12-27_20-10-0.png
    upload_2016-12-27_20-10-0.png
    256.8 KB · Views: 68
Thank you all for the comments, ideas, and insight.

JtrJr, regardless of what I end up using the 3M re-close fasteners looks like a solid option to mount the device on the Mavic.

Gizzard and F6Rider, While it isn't the smallest I do agree that the Mavic should be able to handle the actual device. Minus the shipping material ;) After looking into the monthly cost, I'd cover the cost of the Marco Polo Tracker after not too long. Even with the ability to activate and deactivate the service without a fee, it feels like I'd be paying more in the long run.

Unless something here changes my mind, or a new product comes out, I think I'm going to fly conservatively until I sock away enough extra cash to cover the cost of the Marco Polo.

Tested my new Marco Polo (Santa :) ) in the park today. Had my wife hide the tag in the weeds 1/3 mile away somewhere in the park. The tracker brought me right to it in no time, takes a little practice to use it to good effect, will also find the tag if it's on a ledge or in a tree. No GPS pr phone needed and the best part is it will fit in my bag. Was going to put the tag on the battery, but didn't like the idea of having to switch it out every battery change (I fly 4 most times) so I put it on the front. The MP works best up close when the tag antenna is vertical, at distance it doesn't matter. Industrial Velcro seems to work very well. If you get one I suggest you practice with it a good bit before you might actually need it, it can track up to 3 tags, and if your friend has one he can also help you look by transferring the tag ID to his tracker, making it much faster to locate the tag, cool idea. The tracker is as wide as the Mavic, and half as long, lucky for me I am using a sling bag and there is room for it.
View attachment 3061 View attachment 3062
You ever thought about putting one on the bike? Does that antenna have to stick up i'm assuming?

You ever thought about putting one on the bike? Does that antenna have to stick up i'm assuming?
I am thinking that on the bike a hidden & powered GPS locator would be best, behind the windshield cowl. A stolen bike is most likely going to stay where there is cell coverage.

Ok so i have had my Trackimo for a few days now. I havent tested it on the Mavic but I have tested it on other things just so I can get the idea how it works. I knew going into this that if you dont have cell coverage you cant track it. According to there customer service that is right and wrong. It will track without cell coverage but you have no way of getting the data without coverage. The work around I see is to leave the Mavic where it is. Get to an area that has cell coverage, log into the app and get the GPS lat and long numbers. Plug the numbers into a handheld GPS unit and go searching. The unit does have bluetooth and will pinpoint it when your within Bluetooth range. I am not a fan of the iphone app. Your supposed to be able to ping it to locate it, because after 5 min of no movement it goes to sleep. The app doesnt seem to be able to do that. I had to go to the Trackimo web site log in and ping it that way. So i guess it ok as a backup, Im sure the Marco Polo is much better in every aspect

Reactions: Mikeg
View attachment 3061 View attachment 3062

That's a bad place to mount it because that's where the gps antennae is located. I mount mine off the rearIMG_1483389856.120892.jpg and use a cheaper version that's around $20 off Ebay. I use speed talk sim at $5 a month. I know it blocks the rear light but have to sacrifice something sacrifisomething

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

That's a bad place to mount it because that's where the gps antennae is located. I mount mine off the rearView attachment 3424 and use a cheaper version that's around $20 off Ebay. I use speed talk sim at $5 a month. I know it blocks the rear light but have to sacrifice something sacrifisomething

It also has an open mike,shock, speed and geofencing options not to mention it shows locale on google maps. Comes with extra battery and I've mounted it with Velcro. Also have a tile on it for up close tracking via Bluetooth to pinpoint location

Clipping a holder onto one of the front arms might be doable. It'll have to be removed each time the Mavic is folded closed though.
I use the Marco Polo tracker on my Mavic Pro ....have it on the top arm it fits perfectly when collapsed no need to remove can even charge it weekly without removing.Note there is no sim...
Hope that helps you.

That's a bad place to mount it because that's where the gps antennae is located. I mount mine off the rearView attachment 3424 and use a cheaper version that's around $20 off Ebay. I use speed talk sim at $5 a month. I know it blocks the rear light but have to sacrifice something sacrifisomething

Wasn't aware that the gps antenna was right in front, no problem, if it interferes I will move it. The problem with yours is it needs a cell signal to work, and as I stated I fly many places with no or very spotty signal.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54