DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Grand Canyon - Mavic PRO

*PAGING THE NATIONAL PARKS SERVICE....* LOL!
If he gets fined for this, and he has to be pretty dim if he doesnt know that, and someone gets the fine money as a result of this flight, technically, this should have been a part 107 flight? LOL!

*PAGING THE NATIONAL PARKS SERVICE....* LOL!
If he gets fined for this, and he has to be pretty dim if he doesnt know that, and someone gets the fine money as a result of this flight, technically, this should have been a part 107 flight? LOL!

I flew outside of the park. Thanks for the comment

Reactions: Thwyllo
I flew outside of the park. Thanks for the comment

If you say so. The view at 3:30 of Plateau Point was shot from above Yavapai Point, which is 3.6 miles from the nearest park boundary, and nearly 6 miles from the nearest road access point outside the park. You either violated NPS law or FAA law.

1542584764810.jpeg

Beautiful video. I was at the Grand Canyon last week and used Airmap to see where I could fly. The whole park was red (NFZ) so I kept the drone in the bag.
Thanks for straightening me out on this as now I know that I can ignore the Airmap warnings as long as I launch outside the the park boundary. Good information to pass along in this forum.
What a great country.

Beautiful video. I was at the Grand Canyon last week and used Airmap to see where I could fly. The whole park was red (NFZ) so I kept the drone in the bag.
Thanks for straightening me out on this as now I know that I can ignore the Airmap warnings as long as I launch outside the the park boundary. Good information to pass along in this forum.
What a great country.

It's a strategy that is completely legal provided that you can follow the other requirements, specifically VLOS. That's possible from a couple of viewpoints along the south rim to the east, but not in the vicinity of GC Village - the boundary is too far south.

There is an added complexity at the Grand Canyon that the area in question is defined by the FAA as a flight free zone below 14,500 ft MSL. I haven't seen any definitive statements on whether that applies to recreational UAV flight, but I suspect it does.

It's a strategy that is completely legal provided that you can follow the other requirements, specifically VLOS. That's possible from a couple of viewpoints along the south rim to the east, but not in the vicinity of GC Village - the boundary is too far south.

There is an added complexity at the Grand Canyon that the area in question is defined by the FAA as a flight free zone below 14,500 ft MSL. I haven't seen any definitive statements on whether that applies to recreational UAV flight, but I suspect it does.
I was told the entire river was an NFZ in another forum. I have not checked to see for sure, because I have no intention of going there and flying a drone.

Reactions: Scubadiver1944
If you say so. The view at 3:30 of Plateau Point was shot from above Yavapai Point, which is 3.6 miles from the nearest park boundary, and nearly 6 miles from the nearest road access point outside the park. You either violated NPS law or FAA law.

View attachment 53740
The view at 2:40 is definitely showing the viewing platform in the park.

Reactions: Scubadiver1944
I was told the entire river was an NFZ in another forum. I have not checked to see for sure, because I have no intention of going there and flying a drone.

NFZs do not exist in law. They are informational in such things as Airmap, and firmware restrictions in DJI parlance.

lol.... guys... the drone footage was from outside the park. I did not fly inside at all. Handheld camera/gimbal on the inside. Thanks for watching.

Ah - on closer inspection those locations are just pan shots. Nice work, and I apologize for assuming that it was all drone footage.

NFZs do not exist in law. They are informational in such things as Airmap, and firmware restrictions in DJI parlance.

NFZ is shorthand for an area where you are not permitted to fly by FAA refs and designations. AirMap and DJI might not be 100% accurate but if you think they don’t exist go try to land your drone on the White House lawn. - just speaking rhetorically.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1