DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Great day for flying but I was grounded.

SimonD

Reactions
Had a really frustrating day trying to get a simple shot/s of my Vespa, simple close low dolly shots and a few other closeups, I needed a whopping 10 meters of airspace.

Checked NATS on the 1st location, a church and all was clear, it's miles from people and buildings, I was just going to use the grassed off car park, I had a warning I was 60M from a no fly zone (RAF Shawbury) and the drone would do nothing but hover and land.

Fair enough, lesson learned so headed off about 2 miles further away from the airbase (10 miles from the base) first spot I found was too close to power lines so travelled 1/2 mile further on but same darn result, I simply couldn't find any public land I could use for the shot that I could get my Vespa to.

I love flying but the hardest part is locations without long distance travelling.

Gave up & literally RTH.
The End

Frustrating! I have an idea of what it's like too - you wait days before you get the time, the right weather and everything indicates it's all go.

A couple of weeks ago I finally got out to the beach, one that's a bit further afield and it was a weekday, no school holidays, not many people around. We found a level site, a bit sheltered, set up the picnic blanket, launch pad laid out, insert a battery, all systems go, had the drone in one hand and controller in the other, about to launch when a class of outdoor ed school kids come ambling down the beach, (with teacher mind you), stop right next to me and get ready to fish, complete with fishing rods. So I 'politely' ask them to move further away as I'm about launch a drone. Yep, they moved about three metres down, stopped at a dead tree at the waterline which I had my eye on to take a good shot from above, put their jumpers and bags on and around the tree, and threw their lines out. Great! Thanks heaps!

I launched anyway, just on principal (I was there first!!!) but I couldn't relax, couldn't get my intended shots, so we packed up and went somewhere else. Get to the somewhere else, had my shots planned, but a large windmill was throwing my compass out. So I moved the launch pad further away on the opposite side, all good, launched, and then saw a big hawk circling around. So, land the drone, pack it up, go home and have lunch......….. bugger!!!

All charged up but nowhere to go. Sometimes it's just not meant to be!

"All charged up but nowhere to go" I like that one!

I thought my day was bad but opportunities like yours are scarcer.

I did manage to get some practice footage of 2 bridges in the end so not a total waste and clocked up another 35 minutes flying time.

Reactions: Wendy205
Sounds like a regular day in Las Vegas. Once you find a good spot that’s not in any restricted areas you’ll always get that “where’s your manager?” Lady or guy ( 9 times out of 10 is a lady) thinking it’s their responsibility to come ruin your day. “ you can’t do that here! Quit spying on me!” My neighbor actually labeled me as a peeping Tom and called metro police for my drone flying by her house 200 feet in the air. At the end of the day it’s a hobby not a shitshow. Best thing to do here is go to Harris springs or places outside of town to avoid the BS.

100% can relate to all of the above.
Last time I attempted to get some fly time in, drove 10-15km out and around a lake, found a spot, minimal people the occasional dog walker etc.
Get up and in the air for 5-6 mins then I hear a buzzing noise from some distance - sounded like a small tinny (boat) tendering out to one of the larger drop anchored boats off to my side...

Next minute out of nowhere the distant buzzing which sounded like a tinny was a micro-lite copter, seemingly at minimum altitude, I panic because it's heading straight for where I am hovering taking sunset photos about 300m away and at 60-70m AGL.

Instinct told me to use the map over VLOS or FPV to get the AC back in my general direction ASAP, while that is happening I hear the buzzing change in sound/tone like the copter had started to climb or pitch like he had spotted my AC...
I landed, packed up and left. I think I need to stay away from bodies of water, seems that as enticing ad attracting it is, it's also the only place where manned craft can fly below 500ft.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS