DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Greetings from a new pilot in Belgium

Ronny St.

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Hello all,

Received my Mavic Mini Fly More Combo today! It is my first drone, so I am quite excited :)

I just unpacked it all and the batteries are charging at this very moment, so I will have to be a little patient before trying out my Mavic Mini. I hope to find new friends here and some help if needed.

Stay safe and see you here on the forum.

Greetings from Broechem (Belgium),

Ronny

Welcome to the forum. I also fly a MM and have many fun flights. You will find all sorts of suggestions and recommendations here in the forums. Wish you well. We look forward to seeing your view of the world.

Thanks for all the welcomes. I have been reading in the forum here and maybe I should have better taken another membername such as belgianflyer, since I see most of you do not use their proper names ;)

Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching
and stay safe.. Thumbswayup

Welcome to the forum! :)

Reactions: Thomas B
Thank you all! Just charged the batteries of the remote and the mini, installed DJI GO4 without any problems and finally powered the remote and the Mini and then tried to connect. But there it fails somehow :)
I hope it is not the fact that my smartphone would be not compatible despite the fact I looked it all up before buying the Mini.
I have a Motorola G5S (XT1794) with a 1.4Ghz Octa-Core processor 'that allows run games and heavy applications' and running Android 8.1.0.
Architecture - Chipset64bit - Qualcomm Snapdragon 430 MSM8937 (28nm)
CPU processorOcta-Core, 2 processors:
1.4Ghz Quad-Core ARM Cortex-A53
1.1Ghz Quad-Core ARM Cortex-A53
What a setback, I hoped to see my Mavic Mini flying indoor today.
Did I do something wrong? Maybe someone is here to help me out. Buying a new smartphone only for this app seems a bit overkill...

Thanks for trying to help me out!

Greetings,

Ronny

Reactions: tino.v and Thomas B
Welcome to Mavic Pilots!:) Enjoy the forum!Thumbswayup

Hi Ronny St,

You mentioned that you installed the Dji Go 4 app. That's not the correct one. To connect to the Mavic Mini you must install the Dji Fly app

Regards,

Mark.

Welcome to the forum from Sunny Florida ?

I also am a new pilot with a Mavic Mini. I am loving it.

Welcome to the forum from the also extremely sunny Belgium :D So bad that we are not allowed to go out for the moment because of the COVID19. Maybe it was just a bit too windy the last couple of days to fly.
I live in the Brussels area but never fly here. From what part of Belgium are you?

Reactions: tino.v
a warm and sunny welcome from Hasselt, Limburg

Be aware that the mini is not foolproof.
Do not fly in winds more then 3 or 4 beaufort. Your drone may fly away.
Read a lot of threads about the mini's (minor) problems or shortcomings.

If you keep that in mind, I'm sure you will enjoy your wonderfull machine.

Roney: Welcome from Chicago the Windy City. This forum is a very use full tool to help you gain knowledge and confidence. Been to Belgium some time ago, beautiful country and the people. You can let your fingers do the walking by searching on Mavic Help and Mavic tips. As somebody already mentioned about the MM, be careful about the wind. I know of one pilot that got his MM. Got it ready to fly, but never checked the wind, never got it back. Got a another MM, was more careful about the wind, but this time crashed in to a tree. Can get be quite expensive. Like this forum because we can hear from Pilots from around the world. Lot of useful info, but knowledge is useless if what has been learned but has not been applied. Blue Sky's and safe flying.

Thank you all for the warm welcoming.

@rehkram: indeed that was an error of me, but I tried to install DJI Fly and that did not work, it seems that my Motorola G5s has 64-bit hardware but runs 32-bit Android and makes it impossible to install DJI Fly. I think the need of 64-bit should be given more clearly on the DJI advertisements of the Mini, it now only speaks about the Android version. I have been reading lots and lots of sources on the internet and the issue of compatibility with smartphones is found everywhere.
An interesting topic is to be found at DJI Fly app not compatible for those who are interested.

@ Frederic Mawet & @ Tino: I am from the region of Antwerp and it is very nice and sunny weather here now :)

@SpitFire: thanks for the tip! it was quite windy the last days but now wind speed is back to almost 0. I have a weatherstation that enables me to monitor all parameters needed since indeed, as you stated: 'knowledge is useless if what has been learned but has not been applied'

In order to get the issue of the Motorola solved I decided to look for a second hand smartphone that is on the recommended list of DJI itself and found myself a Samsung S8 for a reasonable price. It will probably be here this evening and when I finished transfering my data, contacts, etc from my Motorola to the Samsung I should be able to install DJI Fly and finally be able to test it out. I am really looking forward to get my first experience with a drone!

Thank you all for the warm welcoming.

@rehkram: indeed that was an error of me, but I tried to install DJI Fly and that did not work, it seems that my Motorola G5s has 64-bit hardware but runs 32-bit Android and makes it impossible to install DJI Fly. I think the need of 64-bit should be given more clearly on the DJI advertisements of the Mini, it now only speaks about the Android version. I have been reading lots and lots of sources on the internet and the issue of compatibility with smartphones is found everywhere.
An interesting topic is to be found at DJI Fly app not compatible for those who are interested.

@ Frederic Mawet & @ Tino: I am from the region of Antwerp and it is very nice and sunny weather here now :)

@SpitFire: thanks for the tip! it was quite windy the last days but now wind speed is back to almost 0. I have a weatherstation that enables me to monitor all parameters needed since indeed, as you stated: 'knowledge is useless if what has been learned but has not been applied'

In order to get the issue of the Motorola solved I decided to look for a second hand smartphone that is on the recommended list of DJI itself and found myself a Samsung S8 for a reasonable price. It will probably be here this evening and when I finished transfering my data, contacts, etc from my Motorola to the Samsung I should be able to install DJI Fly and finally be able to test it out. I am really looking forward to get my first experience with a drone!
If I may suggest something, I'd recommend that you keep the Motorola as your regular phone etc, and use the S8 as a 'drone phone'. and hot spot it to the Motorola, you need to carry two phones when flying, but you can have a dedicated phone for flying, no errant phone calls etc. in flight time. This is how I do it, and it works really well iPhone as a phone and hotspot, Pixel XL for flying.

Reactions: rehkram
If I may suggest something, I'd recommend that you keep the Motorola as your regular phone etc, and use the S8 as a 'drone phone'. and hot spot it to the Motorola, you need to carry two phones when flying, but you can have a dedicated phone for flying, no errant phone calls etc. in flight time. This is how I do it, and it works really well iPhone as a phone and hotspot, Pixel XL for flying.

A very good suggestion of which I also have been thinking, but then I will have to get a second SIM card with new telephone number for the drone in order to have internet connection and that will take some days to arrive. So the test-flight will be postponed unless I can find another temperary solution?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gaffito