DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Greetings from the bowels of California

hedbonker

Reactions
Howdy all. New member here. I am from a small farming town northwest of Los Angeles in the fertile Ventura County region. I have been flying drones since 2014. I bought small, very hard to fly, cheap drones to learn to fly. Once I could fly one of them in a figure eight maintaining forward orientation throughout the eight, I figured I was ready to buy a real drone. In 2015 I bought a P3P and it served me very well up until recently when it suffered a failure in the gimbal control. I used that as an excuse (combined with an unwillingness to spend money on an RID module to hang off of the thing) to invest in a more modern drone.

To that end I purchased an AIR 3. It seems things have come a long ways since the old P3P. I use my drone recreationally as well as commercially. A friend approached me about a year and a half ago to do some construction progress image captures so I acquired a part 107 certification and I have been doing that work ever since. I went through the Pilot Institute part 107 made easy course and I cannot recommend it highly enough.

Now with the firmware up to date and registration complete on the Air 3, tomorrow morning I will be going out to test fly it and get a feel for it as I have actual drone work to do on Sunday morning. I charged all the batteries last night - Boy that took a while. At first I was using a 10w USB block but after a few hours and not 1 battery charged yet, I switched it to a 25w Macbook USBC charger and that worked much better. Wish me luck and thanks for having me here in your community.

Greetings from Birmingham Alabama USA, welcome to the forum! We look forward to hearing from you!

welcome to the forum
to charge the Air 3 batteries you need at least a 65w PD charger but for the quickest charge time then a 100w is the best option

Welcome! I'm a few hours north of you in the former "Valley of the Hearts Desire", aka Silicon Valley. From your description of your location I'll take a wild guess that you're surrounded by strawberry fields. :) I had many a visit near there at the Channel Islands ANG base.

Do you have the charging hub for the batteries? If not I highly recommend getting one. Not only can you charge 3 batteries without having to swap them (it only charges one at a time but will automatically move to the next when one is full), but you can charge a battery in the Air 3 itself while charging batteries in the hub., So you can charge multiples at the same time. You can also pick up one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09GJTF54Z?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

120W total, one 100W USB-C port and one 30W USB-C port. That will mean you can charge a battery in the car while driving.

Howdy all. New member here. I am from a small farming town northwest of Los Angeles in the fertile Ventura County region. I have been flying drones since 2014. I bought small, very hard to fly, cheap drones to learn to fly. Once I could fly one of them in a figure eight maintaining forward orientation throughout the eight, I figured I was ready to buy a real drone. In 2015 I bought a P3P and it served me very well up until recently when it suffered a failure in the gimbal control. I used that as an excuse (combined with an unwillingness to spend money on an RID module to hang off of the thing) to invest in a more modern drone.

To that end I purchased an AIR 3. It seems things have come a long ways since the old P3P. I use my drone recreationally as well as commercially. A friend approached me about a year and a half ago to do some construction progress image captures so I acquired a part 107 certification and I have been doing that work ever since. I went through the Pilot Institute part 107 made easy course and I cannot recommend it highly enough.

Now with the firmware up to date and registration complete on the Air 3, tomorrow morning I will be going out to test fly it and get a feel for it as I have actual drone work to do on Sunday morning. I charged all the batteries last night - Boy that took a while. At first I was using a 10w USB block but after a few hours and not 1 battery charged yet, I switched it to a 25w Macbook USBC charger and that worked much better. Wish me luck and thanks for having me here in your community.
How do I get into the construction progress image captures business?

Wish me luck and thanks for having me here in your community.

Welcome from the Hampton Roads area of Virginia, USA. We have a Member's Map in the Upper Right of the Title Bar. Click on "Members" and then Click on "Member's Map…" Check it out and you might find some new flying friends.

I also am a PI Alumni and I cannot praise them enough…

Below is the link to all of the downloads offered by DJI for the Mavic Air 3, including the User Manual.

After you read the Manual, read it again, you will be surprised what you missed the first time and you will be better prepared for that first "scary moment…"

Fly On and Fly Safe…

Welcome! I'm a few hours north of you in the former "Valley of the Hearts Desire", aka Silicon Valley. From your description of your location I'll take a wild guess that you're surrounded by strawberry fields. :) I had many a visit near there at the Channel Islands ANG base.

Do you have the charging hub for the batteries? If not I highly recommend getting one. Not only can you charge 3 batteries without having to swap them (it only charges one at a time but will automatically move to the next when one is full), but you can charge a battery in the Air 3 itself while charging batteries in the hub., So you can charge multiples at the same time. You can also pick up one of these:

Amazon.com

120W total, one 100W USB-C port and one 30W USB-C port. That will mean you can charge a battery in the car while driving.
That's awesome!
Welcome from the Hampton Roads area of Virginia, USA. We have a Member's Map in the Upper Right of the Title Bar. Click on "Members" and then Click on "Member's Map…" Check it out and you might find some new flying friends.

I also am a PI Alumni and I cannot praise them enough…

Below is the link to all of the downloads offered by DJI for the Mavic Air 3, including the User Manual.

After you read the Manual, read it again, you will be surprised what you missed the first time and you will be better prepared for that first "scary moment…"

Fly On and Fly Safe…
Will do - Thanks!

How do I get into the construction progress image captures business?
A realtor friend knew that I flew drones and referred me to a general contactor that was looking for the service. There was a local development and I had already been going up there every Sunday AM and shooting an orbital clip of the development every week so I could make a timelapse - just for fun - So I had that to show as an example.

You can use this website to identify new construction in your area so you can go out to the locations to find something to shoot over time: New Homes | Search Home Builders and New Homes for Sale

I think the example was key - Make friends with realtors is my only other advice :)

I wanted to add here that I strive to really provide great value in what I do. The customer gets weekly orbital video of the property as well as a set of stills of the exterior. I then do a walk -through of the interior using a 360 degree camera and give them that weekly as well.

I deliver the results using a web site that I built that is customized for each customer. I had to learn HTML/CSS/Php/SQL/Javascript to create it but customers really like it and it sets our service apart from all competitors. Here is a screenshot of a demo version of the web site.

Screenshot 2023-09-02 at 9.03.13 AM.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :) Enjoy the forum!Thumbswayup

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas