DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Greetings from the San Francisco Bay Area!

OMMBoy

Reactions
Hi, Everyone!

First-time drone pilot here. I used to build and fly R/C planes and gliders about 20 years ago, but drones are a whole different beast -- and I'm loving it! I've been flying my Mavic 2 Zoom for just under a month now, practicing different maneuvers and trying to learn all the features before our trip to the Philippines next month. My only complaint is that many communities here in the SF Bay Area are averse to drones, akin to the anti-skateboard sentiments of the 80s and 90s. I'm using Airmap and Kittyhawk to help determine where I can/cannot fly, and my community doesn't have any FAA restrictions, but the city does :( Anyway, enough of my rant -- I'm just happy to be here with others who share the same hobby.

Chris

Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .Thumbswayup

Hi, Everyone!

First-time drone pilot here. I used to build and fly R/C planes and gliders about 20 years ago, but drones are a whole different beast -- and I'm loving it! I've been flying my Mavic 2 Zoom for just under a month now, practicing different maneuvers and trying to learn all the features before our trip to the Philippines next month. My only complaint is that many communities here in the SF Bay Area are averse to drones, akin to the anti-skateboard sentiments of the 80s and 90s. I'm using Airmap and Kittyhawk to help determine where I can/cannot fly, and my community doesn't have any FAA restrictions, but the city does :( Anyway, enough of my rant -- I'm just happy to be here with others who share the same hobby.

Chris
I wonder if you can fly a drone at/over Alcatraz..from a tour or maybe a boat?.. I've passed it at night leaving SFO bay on a ship. I was surprised to see a few lights in windows. very spooky and haunting place.

Reactions: old man mavic
No, you cannot fly at/over Alcatraz, legaly. Or the Golden Gate Bridge...
Alcatraz and the Golden Gate bridge area(s) is administered by the National Park Service...That'll tell you everything.....However, "technically", you can take off OUTSIDE the park boundary, and then fly over the park, but all the good bits are farther inside and you have to get back out of the park....
Treasure Island is good to go.....

I wonder if you can fly a drone at/over Alcatraz..from a tour or maybe a boat?.. I've passed it at night leaving SFO bay on a ship. I was surprised to see a few lights in windows. very spooky and haunting place.

That would be awesome! You wouldn't be able to fly a drone directly over (or too near) Alcatraz Island as it is part of the National Parks Service, but you could definitely approach it, being sure not to violate the airspace around it. Hmmm, maybe a nice sunrise shot with the Golden Gate Bridge... the sun would be in alignment with Alcatraz Island and the GGB around the last couple of weeks of March 2020 thru the first couple of weeks of April 2020.

IMG_45AC5E2BB4B9-1.jpeg Screen Shot 2020-01-23 at 13.29.53.png

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :) Enjoy the forum!Thumbswayup

Tag, you're it.
But to OP, also, be very wary about launching from a boat. A lot of metal on the boat, the boat may be moving....
Do a search for "Boat Launching" in this here forum, and go from there...

No, you cannot fly at/over Alcatraz, legaly. Or the Golden Gate Bridge...
Alcatraz and the Golden Gate bridge area(s) is administered by the National Park Service...That'll tell you everything.....However, "technically", you can take off OUTSIDE the park boundary, and then fly over the park, but all the good bits are farther inside and you have to get back out of the park....
Treasure Island is good to go.....
Flycaster...you're no fun at all;)
I hope they address the National Park issue one of these days..the blanket rule is ridiculous. I have a 107 ...maybe I could get a permit. Here's a photo from last weekend over Death Valley.
Just imagine the damage you could cause by actually flying a drone in this area. death valley (16).jpg

Tag, you're it.
But to OP, also, be very wary about launching from a boat. A lot of metal on the boat, the boat may be moving....
Do a search for "Boat Launching" in this here forum, and go from there...
Thanks for the advice! Launching from a boat is actually on my to-do list for the Philippines ;)

Welcome to the forum from the deserts of Arizona! Enjoy.
Here’s a link to the full 70 page online only DJI manual for your new bird if you haven’t read it. Other useful stuff here too

Here’s a link to the full 70 page online only DJI manual
WHOA! Information overload! LOL! Thanks for the link to the manual -- I've already started reading it and have learned a couple things I didn't know before, such as the P-, S, and T-Modes. I've seen them mentioned in YouTube videos, but not to this extent. I'm sure I'll come across lots of great info. Thanks, again!

Chris

Reactions: Thomas B
WHOA! Information overload! LOL! Thanks for the link to the manual -- I've already started reading it and have learned a couple things I didn't know before, such as the P-, S, and T-Modes. I've seen them mentioned in YouTube videos, but not to this extent. I'm sure I'll come across lots of great info. Thanks, again!

Chris
Welcome!

San Francisco is great. Had an awesome time flying there last year.

Attachments

• 5E7E80F2-B300-456A-A515-B475BAE5BBC4.jpeg
    5E7E80F2-B300-456A-A515-B475BAE5BBC4.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 13
Reactions: OMMBoy
San Francisco is great. Had an awesome time flying there last year.
Great shot of Pier 39 and the Embarcadero! Just behind and to the left of the Pier 43 Ferry Arch is the Franciscan Crab Restaurant, our favorite restaurant. Haven't had a chance to fly the drone in the city yet, but will definitely take it the next time we're there. Where did you take off from?

Chris

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volpe