DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

h265 1080p

aPpYe

Reactions
Hello,

All of my drone flying is purely recreational. I am (at this point) not really into the whole post processing thing and whatnot. I like to fly my drone and record things, usually using auto exposure settings. I only have a 1080p TV and am not planning on upgrading any time soon. In fact, everything I do gets uploaded to google photos at their "high quality" setting, which limits me to 1080p and 30fps.

... So at this point in my drone flying career, is there any reason to choose h265 over h264? My computer does play h265 back without any issues, and it is my (limited) understanding that it provides twice the bitrate of h264. Will it provide me with a higher quality file or with a smaller file of the same quality?

Thanks for your time...

smaller file of the same quality

It will do this, yes, by a a pretty good amount, about 2/3 the file size and maybe even closer to half the size.

Hard drive space is cheap these days, but if you want to use only SSD's or just generally like the idea of something significantly improved and better, you want to use H.265 especially if you can already play it back and not invest in any new hardware.

The main reason I would like to see smaller files would be so I don't get these that are split at the ~3.8gb mark. Thanks for the info!

I was doing some reading, and it is mainly the bitrate that determines filesize. I have not done any testing, but I am thinking that since the bitrate can't be adjusted, this means similar file sizes, but higher quality with h265 ... And then compressed on google servers.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jimwinter