DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

H265/ HEVC in Premiere Pro 2020 does not work.

Hi all,

I really want to try the D-log M mode with the Mavic 2 Pro.
Even though this works in VLC on my PC, Premiere Pro cant open it.

First it complained that the codec was missing. After i installed the codec it says: "file import failure" and "the importer reported a generic error"

Please help me. I spend so much time in trying to solve this issue already.

Thank you in advance!

Do you have a folder in your public documents called AdobeInstalledCodecsTier2?
C:\Users\Public\Documents\AdobeInstalledCodecsTier2\2.0
Inside that folder you should have 2 files called mc_dec_hevc.dll and mc_enc_hevc.dll
If you havent got them, that will be your problem. Yell out if you need them ;)

Reactions: thimotheeyy
Inside that folder you should have 2 files called mc_dec_hevc.dll and mc_enc_hevc.dll

I have them. But since i tried several PP versions maybe one of them placed those files there.

But since HEVC now works i am grading my d-log M footage with LUT's. Next problem arises being that PP crashes when i try different LUT's and apply them to see how they look. I can't seem to work with PP without having continues problems... :rolleyes:

Your first step when editing compressed video files like H264/H265 should be to convert them to an uncompressed format like Cineform or any other lossless video format. My rig is as beefy as they get and I convert every time, it makes editing smooth as silk.

Look into using proxies in Adobe Premiere/AE, thank me later.

I'm using i7 9700K with Nvidia RTX 2060S
I was hoping it could work good with H265. It does a good job though.
At first i started out working with proxies using a old laptop with h264. So i am familiar with proxies but find it a hassle.

The Mavic 2 Pro advertises for 10 bit HDR video. This can only be done in the x265 format. For the best dynamic range it is adviced to shoot in D-log M. So this is what i do and the results compared to what i am used to are absolutly stunning imo.

So, in reaction to use cineform i wonder; Do i lose any quality by converting to lossless video format or does that all stay the same?

I'm using i7 9700K with Nvidia RTX 2060S
I was hoping it could work good with H265. It does a good job though.
At first i started out working with proxies using a old laptop with h264. So i am familiar with proxies but find it a hassle.

The Mavic 2 Pro advertises for 10 bit HDR video. This can only be done in the x265 format. For the best dynamic range it is adviced to shoot in D-log M. So this is what i do and the results compared to what i am used to are absolutly stunning imo.

So, in reaction to use cineform i wonder; Do i lose any quality by converting to lossless video format or does that all stay the same?

No, you're taking compressed information and unpacking it. If you use proxies, you edit the low res video encode the full, original video. I have a beefier rig then yours and I convert all my videos before editing, it makes a world of difference as your editing skills get more advanced.

Not me but good explanation.

I am running an AMD Ryzen 5 3600x, 16gb mem, Radeon rx570 8gb, and programs/system on ssds. I can edit just fine with 4k, 10bit, d-log m, h.265 though there is a bit of chop when I start adding effects and grading to the timeline. So I do all my editing and fine-tuning of cuts and music before I grade if I am feeling too lazy to ingest. Most days on my old system, when I am dumping the footage to storage from the drone I will just open up premier, ingest the footage into a project, walk away, and let media encoder do its thing. It's there and ready then to work with when I feel the itch.

On this system ingest is quick enough that I am not so concerned with it and just sit down, ingest, and edit. Working on proxies for speed ramps, effects, and grading is well worth the ingest time, even on reasonably competent systems but everyone finds their groove sooner or later. I also love having timecode and file names on my proxies so that's another bonus of proxies. Workflows are definitely personal and take time to develop after you develop your own editing style.

It sucks you are having such issues with your setup. You could always open a ticket and get some assistance. Also, the adobe forums tend to be pretty quick to respond and troubleshoot setup issues like the ones you are describing.

Hi all,

I really want to try the D-log M mode with the Mavic 2 Pro.
Even though this works in VLC on my PC, Premiere Pro cant open it.

First it complained that the codec was missing. After i installed the codec it says: "file import failure" and "the importer reported a generic error"

Please help me. I spend so much time in trying to solve this issue already.

Thank you in advance!

Gnerally, licensed Adobe Creative Cloud members can use HEVC codec. If you failed to import hevc into Premiere pro, below are 3 possible solutions for reference:

You can try the following method:

Method 1: Uninstall and then re-install Premiere Pro,

1. Open adobe premiere, enter your licence.
  2. Import your HEVC-encoded video into Adobe Premiere Pro, and then you may receive a prompt as shown in the picture. (Some users might not get this message.)
  3. Click OK to perform HEVC codec installing.
  4. Restart your computer.
Once done, Adobe Premiere Pro should be able to import your HEVC footage without popping up codec missing error. However, not everyone can install HEVC codec successfully.

And, the import error may still persist even if you have managed to install HEVC codec. What's more, installing new codec may cause new problems. It may lead to codec conflict and failure of reading some files.

Method 2: Upgrade your Adobe Premiere Pro

Adobe Premiere Pro extends the support for HEVC files with the release of Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2015.1, but doesn't support QuickTime (MOV) wrapped HEVC files until the arrival of Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2018 (12.0.1). Therefore, if you need to import HEVC files in MOV format, may be from your iPhone, into Adobe Premiere Pro, make sure you're using version 12.0.1 or later.

Method 3: Convert HEVC to Premiere pro compatible mpeg-2

If you are still unable to import HEVC-encoded files into Adobe Premiere Pro CC after upgrading, it may be because your HEVC files use variable framerate (VFR). Although Premiere Pro had an update to support VFR, it still can't deal with most of VFR videos. You need to convert your videos from variable framerate to constant framerate using a converter, such as EaseFab Video Converter ( this is what I'm using these past serveral yeras, worked well and has no problem for converting video to premiere). This probably solves your problem.

As mentioned above, HEVC was first added to the supported native video formats with the release of Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2015.1 update. Nevertheless, importing HEVC files into Premiere Pro is still a headache problem. Let's not to say some 10-bit HEVC videos shot in DLOG-M. Then, transcoding HEVC files becomes a highly recommended method, especially if your files are in 4K HEVC and you don't have a high-end computer.

For what its worth I am still using Premiere Pro 2.0 for mastering. I convert H264 to lossless mpg to import using Adobe Media Encoder 2017, (The last free one; to renew just reinstall over top).

That's what I did. I also tried to convert HEVC to lossless MPG for importing to Premiere Pro as HEVC can't be recognized by Adobe premiere pro 2020. It's good way to solve anyone's dilemma.

omg I have this problem and my "AdobeInstalledCodecsTier2" folder is empty. How do I solve this?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada