DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

H265/ HEVC in Premiere Pro 2020 does not work.

thimotheeyy

Reactions
Hi all,

I really want to try the D-log M mode with the Mavic 2 Pro.
Even though this works in VLC on my PC, Premiere Pro cant open it.

First it complained that the codec was missing. After i installed the codec it says: "file import failure" and "the importer reported a generic error"

Please help me. I spend so much time in trying to solve this issue already.

Thank you in advance!

i will have another look later, see what I can find

I found this

the links to download is at the bottom of the page

i will have another look later, see what I can find

I found this

the links to download is at the bottom of the page

Thanks for reaching out. I installed this codec already though. I bought the €1,- one from Microsoft. Like i said in my original message. Before i installed the codec it said that the codec was missing. After i installed the codec it said; "file import failure" and "the importer reported a generic error"

have you tried uninstalling the codec and reinstalling it

Yes i did! Does not work...

Tried PP 2019. It works there. Seems that there is something up with 2020. Sucks that i cant load my 2020 projects in 2019... Stil not a very good solution...

EDIT:

Thanks!

Last edited:
Since you got 2019 to recognize it, try opening that project in 2020. It will have to upgrade the project to 2020 first. Hope that works, just a hunch on my part.

Hi all,

First it complained that the codec was missing. After i installed the codec it says: "file import failure" and "the importer reported a generic error"

Thank you in advance!
Hi all,

Thank you in advance!

Before importing to PP 2020, transcode in Adobe Media Encoder to Apple Pro Res HQ LT.
Handles the file with ease.

will your computer handle devinci , I have no problem with d log m with that

I've recently upgraded in my pc so that is top notch...
When i started this hobby i researched an chose Premiere to work with. It's really hard to change now since i invested so much time in getting to know this program.

It does work now though so i am very happy.
Thanks everybody!

Hi all,

Thank you in advance!
For what its worth I am still using Premiere Pro 2.0 for mastering. I convert H264 to lossless mpg to import using Adobe Media Encoder 2017, (The last free one; to renew just reinstall over top).

I have no problem with d-log in premier pro 2020. Have you considered opening a ticket?

Edit: nevermind you said you got it. Should have read back a couple posts first. [emoji3]

I've recently upgraded in my pc so that is top notch...
When i started this hobby i researched an chose Premiere to work with. It's really hard to change now since i invested so much time in getting to know this program.

It does work now though so i am very happy.
Thanks everybody!
Glad to see that you have solved it.

I've tried solutions that steve_lyt recommended in that article: download hevc codec and transcode it to h.264. But it works in other editing software, not in PP 2020.

So I'm thinking I might be in the same situation as you. What is your recent PC build after upgrading? (But I'm not sure you mean upgrading the OS or software in your PC, or upgrading the PC build). My PC: Win 10 64-bit, 8GB RAM, AMD Ryzen 5 2400G with Radeon Vega Graphics 3.60 GHz.

Your first step when editing compressed video files like H264/H265 should be to convert them to an uncompressed format like Cineform or any other lossless video format. My rig is as beefy as they get and I convert every time, it makes editing smooth as silk.

Look into using proxies in Adobe Premiere/AE, thank me later.

Reactions: anotherlab
Just a little curious. Transcoding to CineForm might work, but he mentioned that he has no problem to use Premiere 2019 importing HEVC file earlier.

Glad to see that you have solved it.

I've tried solutions that steve_lyt recommended in that article: download hevc codec and transcode it to h.264. But it works in other editing software, not in PP 2020.

So I'm thinking I might be in the same situation as you. What is your recent PC build after upgrading? (But I'm not sure you mean upgrading the OS or software in your PC, or upgrading the PC build). My PC: Win 10 64-bit, 8GB RAM, AMD Ryzen 5 2400G with Radeon Vega Graphics 3.60 GHz.
Upgrading to a high-end PC is not within my budget. So I kept searching and found that my drone video is the so-called LONG-GOP footage (made of I, P, B frames). HEVC is a highly compressed format that does not contain all info of each frame, thus it increases the burden of encoding and decoding for PP.

Thank @steve_lyt, though the solutions in that article did not work, I got inspired to convert my video to ProRes or DNx using the tool in that article. Now it's fixed! : D

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan